HybridZ

NISMO comp oil pan install on a ZX ??????????????

jeffp

I took my oil pan off the car today to install the Nismo comp pan, and yes the POS will not fit the car. I called Nismo and asked before I bought that pan for 750.00 yea 750.00 for a pan I could have done myself. Now here it has been sitting in my garage for about a year and I have been waiting to get the sucker installed and it will not fit.

So the question is, has ANYONE ever installed a Nismo comp pan on a ZX car ever????? If so what did you have to do to make the sucker fit the car???

I am sure it can be modified to fit the car, but if is a simple matter of changing out the K member and going with a manual steering configuration then that is not to much of a problem, just getting the thing out with the engine in the car is the trick.

anyway, if anyone out there has experience with this install I would appreciate any info you could give me. :evil::x

Only a ZX pan will fit in a ZX, and I think it is the power steering that interfere's.

Cody sent me an email about Paul Newmans oil pan is for sale on Ebay, so maybe that would be a cheap way to go if it fit the ZX, although they probably took the power steering off.

Man I could have told you if you would have asked, I tried to use a non ZX pan in my car, and NO GO. Pissed me off too.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that pan is almost exactly what I have.

I can mod the pan to fit the car, but it sure is an expensive way to do it.

I did notice the pickup is longer then mine seems to appear so I will check that out before I start cutting the pan.

The pan is hitting the steering rack brackets, so if I cut a radious in each side of the pan around the brackets, shorten up the pan a little to fit up to the cross member in the middle I should be good to go.

I am going to leat the engine down tonight and start taking measurements. The thing that I think I lucked out on is that the sump box is in just about the best place so if I can get by with cutting the sides down I will not use that much oil capacity and keep the internal box, and that is one of the main reasons I bought the pan in the first place. I got to keep the pick up emerced in oil. I did not notice that the oil was getting thrown away from the pick up with the stock gauge, but when I put a real pressure gauge on the car, I could see the pressure fluxuate when I was under heavy acceleration. Anyway, so just to let everyone know, the NISMO comp pan will not fit a ZX without modifications.

I got to thinking about the Diesel oil pan, and it is in the maxima with the same cross member as the ZX. The Maxima oil pan does have the added sides for more oil, but it sure looks goofy. But then again it doesn't have the pickup box installed.

I should have just built a custom pan for the car. I talked to one of my friends and he almost dropped his teeth when I told him how much I paid for the pan, and basically told me what an idiot I was for spending so much on an oil pan, and that I could have made it myself. I thought about it when I bought it and it was very expensive, but at the time the car was beating me down with all of the custom fab work I was doing and I figured if I could just buy something that fit and I did not have to make myself that was what I would do.

So again here I am taking it in the shorts on a very expensive part that I have to mod to make work in the car. I dont mind it so much I guess. Like I told the wife last night, it will just make me appreciate it all that much more when I can get in the car and drive it again, it that ever happens LOL.

So anyway, the Diesel pan may be an option for those of you who want a better oil pan and not have to go through all this crap to get it installed. :D

The Maxima diesel oil pan will not work. The Maxima's (and 810's) have a "front" sump (because the engine is more forward in the vehicle) whereas the Z and ZX have a "rear" sump (engine moved to the rear for better weight distribution).

This front sump will hit the front suspension crossmember on a Z car.

I thought it was in the rear, but now that you mention it, yes it is up front. I hate getting to the 3-4 screws that are under the pan sides. So strike that idea. I forgot, it's been a while since I pulled one off a car.

Well, I guess I am forced to do the mod to this part. I think I have a good design in mind for it, now just to get it done. I dont like having the oil pan off the car to long.

I could get some measurements and make a drawing for other guys that want to go with this part on their ZX. I was also talking to another guy here at work and I mentioned the aluminum pan. I think that pan is set up much the same way the comp pan is just not as wide, a deeper sump, but the length of the sump is about the same isnt it? That would have not been an option either, and a more pain getting it heliarched, and then you would lose a good percentage of the oil capacity.

Is anyone running the aluminum pan in a ZX car? :?:

The aluminum pan shown on this thread will not work from what I can see. The sump is to far forward and it will hit the cross mamber, but I would have to take some measurements to be sure.

I hacked my pan to death tonight and it is looking like it will fit the car now. I just ran out of time to put it on the block to make sure everything is good. I think I lost about 1 1/2 quarts of oil capacity in the process, but it is still good to go and it is baffled and the windage tray still fits like it did before I started cutting the pan.

I will get the metal tomorrow to use to install and complete the pan. Lucky for me we have metal benders at my work in the machine shop, otherwise I would have been real reluctant to do so much modifications to the pan. Anyway, I will keep everyone posted and get a pic of the completed part on my web page when I have completed it. :D

The stock oil pan has the same problem like most vehicle's stock pans -- the possibility of uncovering the oil pickup tube during high G maneuvers. Because of the slow response of the oil gauge, you may not realize it is occurring.

This is the reason that most race cars use a dry sump oiling system.

The benefit of the aftermarket Nissan oil pans is that they have the pickup surrounded by one-way gates to prevent oil from moving away from it.

In addition, they usually have more oil capacity which has a few additional benefits as well.

The Maxima diesel oil pan will not work. The Maxima's (and 810's) have a "front" sump (because the engine is more forward in the vehicle) whereas the Z and ZX have a "rear" sump (engine moved to the rear for better weight distribution).

This front sump will hit the front suspension crossmember on a Z car.

This is true. My buddy and i got a free brand new nissan L24. When we were getting ready to drop it in his 240, we noticed the pan wasnt going to clear the crossmember. So we take it back out, drop the pan, and stare. We had to get rid of the pan, and get the Z pan. Then the pickup was in the wrong spot. So we then went to a hardware store and bought some tubing. We then cut the pickup at the block, welded the new tubing inline, and relocated the pickup. Hehehe and it looks pretty sweet too.

Guest z1 performance

I hear what you are saying about the dry sump, but I would doubt any street going Z could ever generate enough G's to actually make use of such a pan :)

The reason I ever thought about a different oil pan was for exactly what was posted earlier. When I am in it and going in a strait line the oil gets thrown away from the pimp pick up. The stock guage did not show this happening, but when I went to a good gauge I found this was happening. Under high boost the pressure starts fluxating from 75psi down to about 45psi so that is telling me that the oil is not making it to the pump. This is a bad thing! Even tho the pressure doesnot drop off all together, there is still air getting to the pickup so there are times the bearings are not floating the crank the way they should be, so what happens is excessive wear of the main and rod bearings, not to mention the cam towers, and the cam and the valve stems.

So this has to be fixed, I dont want to destroy my engine so the comp pan seemed liked the best option.

I have modified the pan to the extent that I lost about 2 quarts of oil, that leaves me with one extra quart of oil, the windage tray to scrape the crank, and the baffle with the trap doors. If all works the way it should my problem should still be fixed, and if not I will have to get that pressure resivore TonyD mentioned to keep oil on all of the parts all of the time. anyway, so saying no street car will have this problem is just flat wrong, and being the kind of guy I am I am not going to just let it go with a 10,000 dollar engine and turbo setup in my car.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got the pan completed and it is in the welder to get all put back together. I did the layout work on it and tacked it together. The scrapers were hitting three rods so I made adjustments in the windage tray for that also. All in all, it has turned out good. I got the holes made for the temp sensor and the turbo oil dump. I should have the pan back Friday, so then it is off to get powder coated and finally installed. The one thing that keeps coming up in my head is the pickup. I noticed they made a pickup that has about a 1" tall pickup cup, but the tube doesn't go to half way or 3/4 the way into the cup, the tube is mounted near the top of the cup. I am not sure if that will be an issue or not, as that will put the pickup tube about 1 1 1/4" from the bottom of the pan. I will have to think about this one for a while.