HybridZ

L-6 crossflow heads - interested?

Tim240z

Just got off the phone with my machinist friend and he got to talking about the heads that he is designing and 'pouring' for the for 2.3 liter (midget racing engines). Well that perked my interest and, long story short, he can design and make cross flow heads for the L-6. Although he hasn't done a L-6 head specifically, he said that he could definitely do it. Obviously the mold making process is the most expensive and time consuming, but, like a fiberglass mold, once you have it, it becomes 'assembly line' to produce the heads.

He can also powdercoat, etc, etc.

What would be the interest? I pushed him for cost, and he reluctantly said in the $2G to $2.2G range per unit, complete. Obviously this depends on many variable, the main one being the size of the initial order. Not sure how this compares to a Sunbelt et. al. prepped head cost, but we're also talking aplles and fillet mignon.

Also, this will obviously be a fairly lengthy process (not off the shelf and in the mail tomorrow), and depending on the start date of work, would be done in 2004. He also has a very good flowbench (made it himself), so flow numbers will be available with delivery.

Let me know.

Tim

yah 2K for the head but manifolds, new chain tensioners,ect... It adds up fast. thats why OS Gikens head was 12K for the whole set up when it came out. I don't want to rain on our build up but when I can use a nissan oil pump make new covers out of bilet or welded aluminum. and then convert to belt, seams a little less expensive and would give some of the same results. I wouldn't say same because to have a head custom built it I'm assuming that it would be ported and polished for max effecitcy. I wish you the best of luck just be warned that the molds will run you about 15k I checked into it to have bermag build us heads and they do prototyping and thats how much they wanted to make the molds plus 600 per everyone there after. See the bare head price sounds nice but the molds will kill you. It's an uphill battle and I hope that one of us turns out on top. Please keep me updated on your progess and I'll do the same for you.

Good luck

tbs

Guest Anonymous

What sort of gains are we talking about from a cross flow head vs the non cross flow with heavy heat shielding. Is the cross flow head going to make it way easier to push the L6 past 600 HP?

$1000 okay, but $2k plus? That's a whole lotta coin, I could build a very stout V8 for that price. What sort of deal are we talking about if we got say30 - 50 orders?

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zachb55

im very interested, i dont know about you guys, but if we were really going to do this i seriously think it should also be DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder, that would also help a LOT with flow. i mean every new cross flow head has it, they must be on to something... i mean yea hthe head might get a little big, and the cylinder a little crowded, but if i was going do this, id be willing to pay up to 6000 for a head that could make our engine compete with RB's and 2JZ's. i am defenately up for it though, count me in!

-Zach

• 4 weeks later...

Many of us would like to have a dual over head cam crossflow engine... but when you look at the price... why not just spend a little more and drop in a 350z engine and transmission? better platform for mods.

If you convert an L serries engine to a DOHC then you might as well make it twin plug and 4 valves per piston, and if your gonna do that then your gonna have to have an after market ignition and fuel injection unit,

I don't know.. just seems cheaper to drop in something already made and tested.

Plus replacement timing chains would be a B* to get.

I would be into it, SOHC or DOHC. Im thinking that a SOHC setup would be easier to retain a stock timing chain. Just make the valves real big.

Im hoping this goes through, and that it has choice of big NA or turbo grind cam shaft(s). The more parts that could be interchanged with a side flow head would just be even sweeter. If this isnt possible, I would also be into having modern style hydraulic lifters so I dont to adjust them, and maybe off another popular car so replacements wouldnt be the be all end all of the head. xflow by itself is about 15% more power, a high flowing head means 20% and up power increase, now add BOOST and see what happens....

Now you just have to make it happen.

I don't think that enough serious interest exists. This is obviously a huge undertaking. I'm sure that the "if you build it, they will come" applies, but it's an expensive gamble. He won't even consider it unless he has 10 or so people who are serious enough to put $$$ down before the project even begins. I think it's a non-starter.

Tim

Guest Zachb55

hmm, oh well, i guess it would be equal cost/time/work-wise to just go with an RB or 2JZ swap, im really wanting to do a 2JZ, maybe not now, maybe after college, but i guarantee you all, within 10 years my car will be 2JZ powered, and hopefully with a six speed tranny, if i can figure out how to make it all work...

-Zach

i can make alot more than 15% power with 2k but it cost to be the boss of the L series.

anything is possible. I think later down the line i wanna do some kinda insane swap, turbo 426 hemi?????

I would be very surprised to see a market for this. You would need tens of thousands of enthusiasts to come up with a large enough group (20 people) willing to buy. In the Z market any product that costs over $2,000 is a difficult sell. Most Z folks balk at spending that much for an engine rebuild.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 240hybrid

http://www.z31.com/~morgan/nd/?z/l6xflowhead.jpg

Heres a pic of a cross flow L6 head. Looks like the motor was slant in the opposite direction too to compensate for the intake on the other side. Sweet looking, only wish I knew who did it to find out more about it. It was in amoungst other pic that are on a page I poste in the "nontech" forums