HybridZ

Using a GN Turbine

Bernardd

Would this be an option? I made the classic mistake of leaving the stock turbine in while upgrading to a t04b compressor. As far as I can tell from the dyno sheets I've seen posted the stock turbine won't allow much over 325 crank hp. I got to thinking about a .82 a/r from the GN. It looks like it may bolt up but I haven't actually had one in my hand. Perhaps someone has one they measure. Or I can send a t3 housing to someone to compare.

Bernard

I realize that, I'm just wondering if the exhaust housing bolts up to the backing plate. I believe the compressor side does. And most importantly what effect will this have on performance? It would probably add lag but at the same time increase top end. Scottie, do you have any info on year these came from or if the .63 turbine housing is the same as ours? Dimensions of the outlet?

I have never taken an L28ET turbo apart so I do not know if the housing bolt pattern is the same. I am currently using a stock GN .63 housing that has been modified to fit a P-trim wheel. I also have a .83 GN housing also modified to fit a P-trim. My setup is from the 86-87 intercooled GNs. The 84-85 is a different animal with the turbo bolting up directly to the intake and no I/C.

How can I help you? I have a .82 housing laying around.

BTW, after working with GN turbos for a while, I took a good look at a stock L28ET turbo and was shocked by how small it is in comparison. I imagine if yu were able to use a stock GN .63 that the spoolup would be a little slower but I think the stock L28ET spoolup is too quick and somewhat useless when trying to launch the car. So, it might not introduce lag, it might just make it right :D.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

You would have to mod the world to make the GN turbine housing to fit, and I dont think you will gain anything from it. Upgrade the turbine wheel to a stage three if you feel you need the exhaust flow and quick spool.

Yo:

I'm just going by the dyno runs I've seen on this website and in most of them the power drops off sharply just before 5k. I have a 60 trim t04b with which I'm sneaking up on 20 psi with my homebrew ecu. I don't want to run out of exhaust flow when I get beyond my current 16 psi. I'm finding there's not a big difference between 14-16 psi with my gtech which I realize may be somewhat inaccurate but I am able to get repeatable runs. And remember I'm using the stock housing and turbine. No stage anything wheel.

Scottie: My turbine housing exit diameter is about 1 7/8 ". What is the gn's diameter? Any chance of getting a hold of an L28et exhaust turbine to see if the bolts matchup? If you can get me the garrett part # for the .82 housing I can stop in at a local shop to see if they can help. Or I can send mine over.

Bernard

Why not try bigger turbine wheel? Should pick you up some higher rpm power. I'm sure some cam would help too. I've notice more power pass 5000 rpm wit hmy new turbo. (stage III/ 60-1). I've not dyno this turbo yet but I'll let you know when I do.

I can give you the part # off my .82 and I can also get a stock GN housing and take the measurements but I really think you need to drop the idea of using the GN turbine housing. Now, there is a 4-bolt to 3-bolt adaptor that would allow you to use the GN housing but I am not sure if the 4-bolt pattern will mate up to the L28ET exhaust manifold.

The main problem you will have with your current setup is with the wastegate hole diameter being too small. When you start approaching higher boost levels, the small diameter hole just cannot bleed off boost quick enough and you will have boost spikes. It is not uncommon to have stock housings modified to fit over bigger wheels and have the wastegate hole made bigger. After all, I am doing just fine with a stock GN .63 modified to fit over a P-trim wheel. You just have to run a couple more psi of boost and sacrifice some MPH, but the smaller housing will spool quicker and get you quicker 60' times. Bottom line is the smaller housing will probably result in quicker 1/4-mile ETs. Of course, it makes it easier if you are not trying to do this on straight pump gas.

I see you having 3 options:

1. Install a bigger wheel, get the stock housing ported to fit over that wheel, enlarge the wastegate hole and replacing the puck with a larger one that will fit over the larger hole and seal properly.

2. Try to make the GN housing work. Assuming it will bolt up to the center section, you would need to find a way to mate up the 3-bolt housing to your 4-bolt manifold, have a custom DP made with the puck/lever built into the DP. The stock GN wastegate makes an immediate 90* bend right off the turbo and that will not work on a Z

3. Price out options 1 & 2 and compare the end cost to selling what you have and replacing it with a hybrid built to your specs. You might be surprised that option could end up being the best and least costly if you can get a decent price for your current turbo.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't give you exact numbers but I do know the GN turbine wheel is larger in diameter than the Z wheel. So if you use the GN turbine housing you'll need the GN turbine wheel too. I have a stock 86-87 GN turbo with a .63 a/r on a Toyota 3.0 V6 truck. It will make 12 by 3100 rpm. Don't know what that compares to with a stock turbo on a Z as it's been to long since I've had a T3 on one. By the way the GN compressor is an S trim, doesn't flow too much more than a Z's 60 trim T3.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

You would need to use a larger wheel to fill in a GN housing, but I see your thinking after a close reveiw of statments Bernard and your right on. But the best resolve for the situation to come, or already here is a stage III turbine upgrade. Shorter wheel with larger exducer and a little more flow. I could do a complete rebuild with a stage III rebuild and proper machining to the exhaust housing for $457.50 plus shipping. Other upgrades can be done also if you need to do a compressore upgrad or want to use a larger T3 housing, I have them also. Good luck.

Take a look at a TO4E .50 trim with a stock Nissasn housing machined to accept a stage 5 exhaust turbine wheel. That setup is what I ran, and is what Lockjaw is running on his car now. I got the Hp to 500 hp at the flywheel and the exhaust side was not the problem. I took the time to do a back pressure test on the setup before I took it off the car and I was running 23 psi back pressure for 23psi of boost. You cant get much better then that. Remember this was with a atock Nissan .64 A/R housing machined for the stage 5 wheel. That combination works excellent, keep the internal waste gate, run a stock housing, and build 20psi of boost @ 3000rpm's

Good setup! :D

The turbine wheel is your flow restriction, not the housing. Going to the .82 is not necessary. upgrade to a stage 3, you should have full boost by about 2800 rpms, got to stage 5 and wait about 400 rpms more.

They are also more modern blade designs, which means you get a more efficient wheel, and alot more flow.