HybridZ

Video of my 12.88@105.98 last week

Jersey

You guys have me cracking up over here. You both are just making me MORE anxious to pull this thing! haha. Sleeper, i liked the 3.54's with the same tires and my N/A L28. The two differences now will be that i was running a '78 5sp with that combo and obviously no turbo. Funny...if you watch the video and watch the time counter, i run through the first three gears in like 6 seconds, hit 4th and run that for the remaining 7 seconds! And i'm hitting 4th around mid-track. Reeeeeally stretching 4th across the line. Lock, since you have the BW, 3.90's and a GPS, try doing a test in 4th at like 3k or 4k rpm and tell me what the MPH the GPS is reading if you get a chance. Guys, thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey jersey, man whats up with getting into the 12s man!!! youre blowing the curve for us pretty bad. good stuff. i think you have 3.54, thats from me having a 83 zxt with the t5, its not as fast as your car by a long shot, but it has some really close ratio gears, when i get on it the 1-2-3 shifts are very quick. 1st is 3.5 and your car weighs a lot less, if youre leaving the line hard the 1-2-3 is gonna go fast, thats how the tranny is geared, it accelerates like you have a 3.9, but you have a good final ratio of .745 in that trans with the 3.54, so on the freeway with my car with stock turbo swastikas and 205/60/15 on them is turning 2800-3k at 76mph in fifth.

i think you have a 3.54, the zxt is the heaviest of the first gen z cars, and has the fastest stock 1/4 times with only about 6psi of boost and a way heavier frame & tons of electronics. you gotta be helluva driver, that drivetrain must hate you!!!!!

Geez and I thought you were going to make fun of my "shortcomings" :wink:

I am turning around 6500 rpms in 4th thru the traps. It was pretty flat up there with the stock cam, and I was hoping this little crower would help extend things a little more.

I am either going to have to shift into 5th, or put 3.54's in there. My nawz is going to put me into 5th, I bet you money.

So lets start a pool and bet on what kind of rear Jersey has. :lol:

Len - Thanks bud. i think my drivetrain does hate me. The way i look at it...beat it...if it breaks it was probably weak and in need of replacement anyway! ha. I am nice to her before and after the track :)

yo/sleep/lock - you guys just sparked a memory of when i ran my Z, same tires, N/A L28, '78 5sp and 3.54's...I could almost stretch 3rd out across the line and had trap speeds of around 90mph. With this T motor, the BW-T5 which is close to the 280b 5sp and whatever rear i have in there, i am REALLY stretching 4th out across the line with a trap speed of only 106mph. Big difference. Now i'm up in the lower 6k rpm range through the traps which really starts to get flat after 5800 like you say Lock. I did try shifting into 5th a couple of runs and blew it both times :x I think i'll have a good shot at dropping everything this long weekend and checking it all out. Need to do a few more things while i'm at it - 3" exhaust, somehow strap/plate the nose of the R200 down, raise the DS loop a little, grainger valve, and try to figure out if the stock FPR is not holding enough fuel back at 14psi or i'm just maxing out the 280cc injectors. Temp still raises pretty good at the end of a run and i just started to ping at 14psi. Walbro pump is supplying, just not sure what is starting to fail to cause light ping. If all goes well, i'm going to try and get her back on the track Wednesday night. Thanks guys for the replies. And let me know what the wager is...i'm saying it's a 3.90. Hoping anyway.

Guest bastaad525

About him destroying the curve..... I'm curious, what would a setup like his do on average? Just a stock turbo motored 240 running about 10psi? I'm thinking when my turbo is done I'm not gonna be anywhere near as fast as him, will be lucky to hit high 13's I think, this is in a '72 with completely stock '81 turbo motor and ECCS, with only a boost controller and blowoff valve, running 10psi, and some way of raising the fuel pressure a bit to keep it from leaning at the top. Oh by the way when I ran my '80 ZX with 3.9 and '77 5speed, I would cross the line in top of third, speed was 93mph (I could be off on this, was like 5 years ago) and I was very close to redlining.

Len - i'm just driving it hard just like you guys are.

525 - Yours should run just like my Z the last time i took it to the track before I.C. & new pump. I was running -

10psi (modded WGA)

1G BOV

BW-T5

2 1/2" mandrel exh

stock L28et

stock FPR

stock injectors

stock pump

oh yeah...miata seats! lol.

522613-333small-med.jpg

ill be happy if i get a high 13 next time i go, ive done a few things to the car, need to practice the launch.

funny thing is, on the street even with relatively low hp than a lot of you guys, there hasnt been one car on the street thus far thats been able to take the smile off my face yet!!! its even worse with this loud ass bov sneezing all the time, now they wont even try!!!!!

hey jersey, how hot is it outside when you run that car of yours?

im lucky to get 77 degrees in the shade!

bastaad....I'll let you know if jersey is an anomaly. I should be taking my car to the track sometime this month :bonk:. I'm running basically a stock setup with a supra IC at 10psi in a 71 240. I probably won't run a 13.3 but it shouldn't be too far off.

When are you going back to sears point Len. Maybe we could get some side by side runs :D

Guest bastaad525

I'll keep an eye out for you to post some times, BayAreaZT.

Jersey, even though my setup will be almost identical to what yours was when you pulled the 13.3 (again, only major difference I can see would be the 3.9 I have, which may not even be a difference ;) If anything your car MAY even be heavier, I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the '73's took on like an extra 100lbs over the '72? Could be wrong there though.... my car weighs almost exactly 2600lbs with me in it, at any rate. Otherwise, same stuff.... but for some reason I would consider your car and times to be more of an 'anomaly' like BayAreaZT says. Before you, fastest stock turbo 240 I've heard of was like 13.5.... for one you really seem to launch really really well, and get out of the hole very fast. I'm gonna have to totally relearn how to launch when I swap in my turbo... even then, I'll be surprised if I could hit a 13.5. You might just be one of the lucky guys who has a car that is running at 110%. I'll be even more surprised if right after the swap I dont run into some kind of electrical problems.... My '80 ZX was plagued with EFI bugs that never let it really run 100%. As long as I can pull even a 13.9..... anything in the 13's, and can hopefully do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, then I'll be a very happy guy. And the bonus is knowing that being much faster isn't really that far out of reach :twisted: Just a little more convincing of the g/f :twisted:

Jersey isn't that much of an anomoly - He's just driving it right. Scottie and I both ran very low 13's/high 12's with a stock hairdryer - but with SDS. But you got to know - the stock turbo won't be up to it for long. Plumb cool air into it, IC it and run a mandel bent downpipe and exhaust and it may live a while. I could run consistant 13.2 @ 103 with my car with stock pump,rail, turbo, injectors. To get consistantly into the 12's takes a big step. Good luck - Doug

Guest bastaad525

Jersey - I posted a thread to ask you this a couple days ago, figure it might be better to just ask you here...... what is a BTM module? I read a post where you said you would have hooked up your MSD 6A to your turbo but you didn't have a BTM module so you didn't/couldn't. I too have an MSD 6A in the car right now that I was planning on using with the turbo..... what is a BTM module, about how much does it cost and what exactly does it do or why is it necessary?

Doug71zt - The SDS makes for some amazing times.... what kind of boost were you running on the T3? I almost traded my N/A engine for a TEC II... figured it'd bee too much more investment to get it installed and tuned right so I passed. Also, Doug you're the first guy to say that I shouldn't expect the stock T3 to live very long, or did you mean the turbo engine as a whole wouldn't be up to it for long? I'm very curious/concerned now....... no one ever told me I was giving up reliabilty by going to a turbo setup, I thought they were very stout?

Jersey, my GPS could not find any satelites, however, I did check the speedo for accuracy after I put the 3.90's in, and I know it is very close if not spot on.

Anyway, at 3000 rpms, I am running 55 mph, and at 4000 I am running 70mph.

I normally turn about 6500 crossing the line in the 1/4 mile

525- No the turbo engine is very stout - its the turbo that won't take it. To make boost in the 15 psi range on the 2.8 - makes the stock turbo overspeed like crazy. It makes a lot more heat as its not running in its most efficient area. An IC will take some of it out but the overspeed is hard on the turbo. One way to combat this is to short-shift it at 5k and use the torque. I ran consistant 13.2 at 10 psi with a MK3 supra IC and ran 12.9 with 15 psi. That would be 18 psi before the IC as the pressure drop is rather large -yes 3 psi - I tested it. No doubt the SDS does good things for HP - it gets rid of the AFM right off the bat.

Cheers- Doug

Doug - I think you're right...the stock T3 isn't going to take much abuse at 15psi for long but, i'll run her 'till she craps out, hopefully later than sooner. I do have the NPR I.C. and DP which i also agree, i think will let it live a little longer. With my I.C., i've only got a 1psi drop. 3psi seems to be high, no? I would love to eliminate the AFM. One day i'll go aftermarket ECU. Maybe i'll do the MS. Affordable on my budget. What are your trap speeds at Lock? 525 - not 100% sure how the BTM works - if it's used with the 6A or stand alone - but it retards timing. With a T motor, it's important to retard under boost. I think Lock or Sleeper...no, actually i believe it's Yo2001 that's using the MSD BTM. He could explain exactly how his is working and if he noticed a difference. Thanks for the info guys.