HybridZ

i need your guy's advice: i need to toast a turbo supra

Guest Damn Cracker

Guest Damn Cracker

Ok, time to get a car. Got some dinero saved up, get a good job, and now i need a car of my own. But here's the thing: a certain someone, lets just say a "friendly rival", just bought an 89 turbo supra. Basicly, i want to hand him his own ass. And i need a car that can do that. So far, he's upped the boost and dropped the exhaust, and he has his eye on a t4 turbo kit. I'm looking at something along the linbes a a 240z, fc rx7, maybe a 240sx, etc. I would have to say my first choice is a z. I want to be able to take that car in both a straight line, and on the curves. That car is so friggin fat (about 3600 lbs) that out-handling him in a z should be no problem. but if i get a z, the first thing i'll probibly do is get a new motor. A v-8, say a 5.0 stang motor would give me enough power, but i don't know where i can find a cheap one in good condition. I was also thinking a sr20 or 3sgte to keep the weight down. Whatever i get, i need a well alanced car with at least 200 hp, and room to expand. I'd love maybe an rb20det, but i'm on a serious budget, say $3000 for the car, then less for a new motor. I need advice and hookups from you more experienced guys, who have travelsed down this road before.

Thanks!

I agree with sleeper. MKIII supras are pretty quick on the freeway but nothing a turbo 240 or a V8 240 can't handle off the line. Don't even worry about the twistys. If you are on a $3000 budget, a V8 or turbo 240Z is the way to go. RX-7 can built to go pretty fast but I'm not sure about the costs involved. 240SX with an SR20 would probably do the job but would put you over budget.

Boys', I'm just a old armchair racer.....what would y'all call fast stock in that class?

:D At my altitude, fast stock is in the 14s. Not much effort to get a Z going into 13s here; the old MKIIIs are 15's stock, just like the turbo 300ZX first generations, and most stock Mustangs. But when we talk "Zs" nothing is stock, 'cause stock Zs are SLOW!

All the "stock vs. stock" arguments are useless when the rubber meets the road, because at the strip it's "run what you brung, and hope you brung enough". ;)

Head over to Supraforums.com and browse the MKIII section or to I-supra.com and look the same section over. The MKIII is lighter than 3600lbs I believe but it's not super fast. Many of these guys are happy to beat mostly stock Mustangs and a V8 Z ought to be able to do that easily.

any of the swap options will provide you enough power to beat the supra, if he stays pretty close to stock. if he goes t4, super afc, fuel cut defencer, and some more tricks, he will be a force to be reckoned with, when theres a turbo-Theres a way. those cars have a stock lsd, 3.70 or so rear gearing, and a good geared transmission, and they put the power down nicely. im not scared of them or anything, but those cars can be fast.

which ever swap you do depends on what you like more.

the turbo guys generally like turbocharging things. the fact that an l28et drops into an early z like butter doesnt hurt this either. you will probably find that most of the people on this board that post in the turbo section have had various other turbo cars before, and show a background of tweaking a lot of cars and stuffing boost. I like boost myself, its like superman. One minute youre this nice japanese sports car, the next minute, youre a ragin animal making all kinds of whistling, whooshing, whining, and sneezing noise. Its a symphony of chaos that I love. Or you will find some of the L28et guys have had really pumped up NA L6s and sought the alternative, slightly more modern approach to making an L motor powered car faster-YOOST(B) theres also the options of swapping in other japanese or domestic turbo engines into the mix as well, ANY OF THE CURRENT HOT JDM SWAP ENGINES (RB, SR, 20B, 2JZ) WILL ROAST THE SUPRA LIKE ITS STANDING STILL-$$$$ though

The v8 crowd generally like v8 cars, and z cars, and its like the old peanut butter cups commercials, where you got the guy eating peanut butter and the girl eating a chocolate bar, and they bump into each other and mix. i had a v8z for years, and left the street racing scene as the king, hands down, KING, KING! (sorry) its a fun swap, but to do it right will cost as much as the above, and entails more work to the rear suspension of the car due to the crazy low end torque factor. v8s are cheaper to build and easy to build as well, but overdrive trannys cost an arm and a leg. most of the v8 z guys have backgrounds in working with v8s as well, myself included, and in the end, no matter how you wanna go fast----IT COSTS TO BE THE BOSS.

Guest Damn Cracker

thanks for all the info guys. There's actualy an 85 mr2 in my area for only $600. Depending on the condition, I'm thinking about getting that. If i do, i'm gonna try to stick a 3sgte from a newer mr2 into it. anybody know how easy this is?

ive never heard of that swap before, but i did own an 85 mr2 for quite a while, slowest thing on earth, but man it would do ferrari style doughnuts like it wasnt nothing. it would not be easy, but it would be fast as heck

I used to have a '87 MKIII turbo Supra. Yes, they do weigh around 3600 lbs, and yes, they are pigs. I took it to Pomona Raceway once. My time was 15.9 @ 86, but by that time the turbo boost was down to around 5 psi, maybe slightly less. And did I mention that these cars are unreliable, especially considering Toyota's overall reliability? Head gasket blew at 89K miles, was showing signs of incipient failure again at 115K miles, at which point I sold it. The Supra was trying to be both a luxury coupe and a sports car; it largely failed at both.

The headgasket is a known issues with known fixes. There are both better head gaskets out there and procedures for retorquing the heads. It seems that Toyota didn't torque the heads enough whihc is why they so easily blow - especially turned up.

5PSI is nothing, you might as well not have been running any boost. If I pull an intercooler hose on my car it's so slow it's not even funny! :shock: Even winding it out WOT it gets walked by pedestrian cars of all types. A low compression 6banger without boost just doesn't move. I ought to dyno it that way one day!

Dont forget rubber out back, 300+ HP wont do you any good on 14x6" wheels.

I do fine on 215/60/14 drag radials thank you. The 14x6 factory alloy is VERY light, makes for a nice sleeper package, hence the name SleeperZ. ;)

A low compression 6banger without boost just doesn't move. I ought to dyno it that way one day!

Lol! I would LOVE to see that dyno graph, and die laughing when you post it on SupraForums!!!

My biggest concern would be the possibility of overspeeding the turbo since it would simply freewheel with no pressure against it and no exhaust being bypassed. I still might do it though :) I'm dynoiing on the 12th, I might try this if I'm happy with the first pull (I get two pulls).

thanks for all the info guys. There's actualy an 85 mr2 in my area for only $600. Depending on the condition, I'm thinking about getting that. If i do, i'm gonna try to stick a 3sgte from a newer mr2 into it. anybody know how easy this is?

I'll sell you my 86 celica for $200. 3sgte is a common swap in 4th gen celicas. Goes in like chocolate in peanut butter :lol:

Guest Damn Cracker

aren't those front wheel drive? whatever i get, i want rear or all wheel drive, no front. sorry, its against my religion :wink: And ys, hi cr is extemly unrealiable, he's only had it about 2 months an he's already put a couple hundered $ into repairs, andthats just crap thats brkenm since he's had it, altogether he's got over $2000 into fixing it up, and its stil got mismatched colors and crap.

• 2 weeks later...