HybridZ

MegaSquirt - Nylon screws

Mudge

Just finished assembling the power supply portion, there are nylon screws supposed to be used through the voltage regulator (step 18), and yet I dont see any - anywhere.

Tim/anyone did you get these and did it come with the voltage regulator, or do I have to hunt these down at Rat Shack?

Good luck!! I hunted high and low for those damn things!! I haven't tried Home Depot yet though, and my neighbor says he has seen them there.

Maybe another member has a bunch of extra ones (ahem, hint hint).

Tim

Illiteracy sucks doesn't it.

LMB EAS-300 case - you can purchase the case from HdB Electronics (650-368-1388) in single unit quantities. Your choice of natural aluminum or black anodized. This is where the Group Buy orders for the case were placed.

Or you can get the EAS-300 Enclosure [style 4006 - 4.124" x 1.582" x 6" w/ heavy radiused (H) ends] at: http://enclosuresandcases.com/sbspecpage.html

You might also try Fry's, they have one that measured 6 x 4.17 x 1.56. It costs $15.95.

Nylon Screws - 4/40 - Digi-Key P/N H550-ND - 0.0926ea. & Nylon Nuts - 4/40 - P/N H616-ND - 0.105ea. You need 6 of each, but there is a 100 minimum quantity for each from Digi-Key. You can try locally, look for them in hooby shops that sell radio control hardware. You CAN substitute steel screw hardware. Just be careful with the plastic FETs, make sure the metal screws do not cut the plastic and short things out. For the flyback transistor and the voltage regulator there is no worries - the only thing you may want to do afterwards is put a dab of fingernail polish or similar on the screw/nut interface to help prevent them backing off due to vibration.

LED mounting clips - Digi-Key P/N 4304MC-ND - 0.08ea. You need 3, but there is a 100 minimum from Digi-Key - try locally.

Cable - You will also need a 'straight-through' DB-9 cable to connect MegaSquirt to your computer for set-up and tuning. Digi-Key sells suitable cables:

AE1020-ND is 6.5 feet long (2 meters) annd sells for $5.35,

AE1021-ND is 9.8 feet long (3 meters) for $6.01.

Either will work, or you can pick one up locally. Look for a VGA computer monitor cable.

Sockets - If you are new to electronics assembly, you may want to solder in sockets for all the chips. The kit includes a socket for the 40-pin CPU. To socket the others you will need:

AE7216-ND ($0.72) for the MAX232 (U6)

AE7208-ND ($0.35) for the MC34151 (U7)

AE7300-ND ($0.43) for the 4N25 (U4)

The sockets allow you to correct your mistake if you install an IC backwards, and also prevent too much heat from transfering to the IC while soldering.

LOL, Like I said I can get those nylon screws for .02 each, also for less than .05 ea I can get the led mounting clips.

If folks want I can swing by the surplus store this week sometime and get a bunch of each. Email me with your address and I'll send them out.

I have built a megasquirt and am running it now in my 260Z.

I did not use nylon screw because you probably don't need them anyway.

The injector drivers I got where isolated and the map sensor is also not conductive. I have a small jar where I put in all the stuff left over from some home PC's I dismantled. this gave me plenty of parts to build my megasquirt and then some.

Xander

LOL' date=' Like I said I can get those nylon screws for .02 each, also for less than .05 ea I can get the led mounting clips.

If folks want I can swing by the surplus store this week sometime and get a bunch of each. Email me with your address and I'll send them out.[/quote']

I'm in no big rush but I could use some, I'd gladly ship a buck or two out your way. Forrest was kind enough to send me 3 nylon screws (I think it was 3, someone apperantly inspected the envelope before I got it...).

I dont have any of the LED clips either, I think I need 3 of those?

I have a small jar where I put in all the stuff left over from some home PC's I dismantled. this gave me plenty of parts to build my megasquirt and then some.

Yeah, I was considering using some stand offs, I think I have some spares.

Are you serious? I put 7 screws and 7 nuts in there, and put a big piece of clear tape on the back. Someone opened it? If so you should complain to your postmaster, that's a felony.

I did get mine from you...thanks!! but the envelope didn't hold up very well and I ended up with 3 sets. Cool, should be enough...

You may want to wrap them in some toilet paper (preferably new TP :D )., or cotton, or something to protect the envelope.

Again thanks!

Tim

Are you serious? I put 7 screws and 7 nuts in there, and put a big piece of clear tape on the back. Someone opened it? If so you should complain to your postmaster, that's a felony.

Yep, I was trying to think to myself, why would this be all torn up? It couldn't have felt like it was jewelry and nobody ships it that way (in an envelope) :confused:

I'm lost on that one, but yep I got 3 of them, the tears were strange too like it did maybe get caught in machinery, but it was fairly bad. I dont know what procedure is for that stuff, but I about would have expected them to ship it back, but I dunno.

I did get mine from you...thanks!! but the envelope didn't hold up very well and I ended up with 3 sets. Cool, should be enough...

Me too, something must be up with the machinery or something at the local processing plant.

Forest, I never really get mail all that bad of shape either, not your fault man, something is up with the local postmaster in your area I think machinery wise.