HybridZ

Woo Hoo! 5.0L is finally in! (Pics)

Guest bluex_v1

Guest bluex_v1

That is a stock crossmember, I just put some rectangular tubing between it and the T/C rod bracket.

Thanks, SleeperZ! I've had the car for 11 months now and its nice to have something to show for it finally :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluex_v1

Thanks for the kind words guys! This is the most overwhelming project I've ever undertaken and its nice to get this kind of motivation :D

I think this will adequately answer any hood clearance questions:

http://www15.brinkster.com/5o260z/hood.html

I had cut off the firewall side hood latch, but I think I may be able to use it with some trimming on the driver's side. I might reattach it if it isn't too hacked up...otherwise I'm just going to use a pair of locking pins.

Jeromio, I got the idea from you :wink: . Your peice is definitely nice! Mine is fully welded. I didn't think about what a pain it would be for the roll-center modification and stuff like that until too late.

have you done anything to the inside of your T/C rod bracket? I was thinking of adding a little webbing in there but I guess its probably overkill...

Well, mine is meant to be removable - in theory. In practice, it is a giant pain to remove or install. The arms bolt to the TC rod mounts, but the brackets also rest on that lip, which I thought was a nice bonus. Except that it makes for a very awkward exercise since the arms have to come down from above, you can't just slip the whole unit up into place. Were I to do it over again, I would have used a piece of bar bolted (maybe 4 longitudinal bolts) to the rear of the stock cross and the arms welded to that - IOWs, a 2 piece system. I guess one coulr argue this one is stronger, but it would be hugely easier to deal with. Then again, I dunno exactly why I would ever need to remove the crossmember...

Anyway, no mods to the TC rod buckets. I did completely redo the pass. side long ago due to rust. So the entire frame rail is all new 14ga on that side from the TC rod mount on back. On the driver's, I tore out the old frame rail/floor support and put in a full section of folded 14ga (just a "U", no top to it). Both sides connect to the rear subframe, but the driver's side has brake and fuel lines inside it.

At any rate, my feeling (not based on any tech, knowledge or talent) is that the whole affair is much stronger than stock due to the TC rods now having diagonal bracing to the crossmember. I don't think any other enforcement is necessary.

Guest Anonymous
Thanks for the kind words guys! This is the most overwhelming project I've ever undertaken and its nice to get this kind of motivation :D

I think this will adequately answer any hood clearance questions:

http://www15.brinkster.com/5o260z/hood.html

I had cut off the firewall side hood latch' date=' but I think I may be able to use it with some trimming on the driver's side. I might reattach it if it isn't too hacked up...otherwise I'm just going to use a pair of locking pins.

Jeromio, I got the idea from you :wink: . Your peice is definitely nice! Mine is fully welded. I didn't think about what a pain it would be for the roll-center modification and stuff like that until too late.

have you done anything to the inside of your T/C rod bracket? I was thinking of adding a little webbing in there but I guess its probably overkill...[/quote']

mine is alll most the same as yours.. i went off your pix ..LOL but any how my tfs r intake will not clear the hood.. and neither will the vortech blower piping.... ill see if i can get some pix up soon... thanks for posting those pix they have been vary helpfull.... 8)

The engine in my car is in nearly the same location as blue_x1's, and I had no problem with the EFI interfering with the stock hood. The closest point is the curved port on top of the throttle body. At the closest point, I could just squeeze my little finger between the hood and the port. This was measured with both the stock and cobra intakes. This being said, I believe some of the aftermarket intakes will hit the hood because the port is higher and further forward.

Dan

Guest Anonymous
Great information Dan, thanks. Anybody tried any aftermarket intakes for fitment?

i have the tfs r intake and a 1 inch spacer.. (must have for my tall valve covers) and it just bearly hits the hood... i can modify the hood a lil bit and it would close.. but i did hafto remove my factory hood latch...