HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #26 - 1/4 Time

I know this probably belongs on another board but it ties in with the LS1 development in my car.

Friday night I was down at the Texas Motorplex in Ennis. Texas and made two trips down the quarter mile. Car is much faster than I am. Here are the numbers:

Reaction Time: .659

60': 2.129

330': 5.694

1/8 : 8.662 & 84.41 MPH

1,000: 11.174

1/4: 13.274 & 107.81

The first car I ran had a reaction time of .027 sec. If I had gotten that I would have had a 12.6 quarter.

Weak links in the car:

1) The driver - slow reaction time and in the rev limiter twice

2) Exhaust

3) Tires

All fixable but the latter two will be the easiest to remedy.

OH yes - I was so squirrely that I even made this run with the AC on!

OH yes - I was so squirrely that I even made this run with the AC on!

LOL!!! :lol::lol:

With some practice and some tire and exhaust upgrades (and turn off the AC for crying out load :D ), you should be able to get that thing into the 11s!!!

Very cool Dude!!

Tim

The first car I ran had a reaction time of .027 sec. If I had gotten that I would have had a 12.6 quarter.

I hate to burst your bubble but the reaction time has no effect on the 1/4 mile time. The clock doesn't start running until your front tires break the beam . The reaction time is the amount of time it takes from when the light turned green until your tires break the beam.

If you get that 60' time down to a 1.9 you'll be in the 12's no problem.

I'm gonna try and get to Reynolds with my car in Sept. I've never done me no 1/4 mile run. This T56 is rather hard to shift. My car also seems to run out of steam past 100mph. Could just be me. Could also be the 0.6 C/D. I need to get an airdam.

You have a 3.7 right?

Jeromio,

Yes - car has 3.70:1 LSD.

I've got the MSA Aero II ground effects kit on my car which helps. Lone Star 1 just has a front air dam on his 240 LS1.

I ran mine to redline in 4th (120mph) on the first run and car was solid all the way. I could tell that the exhaust was hurting me in the higher rpm's in 3rd & 4th, though, and will have to get that fixed.

60 ft's were a function of time spent just spinning and hopping the rear tires. Know what I need to do there too, just not too sure how long it will take me to settle down and control the car. I think just the time I spent in the rev limiter in 1st & 2nd cost me enough to keep me out of the twelves this past Friday. Got to go on the second yellow an dthen concentrate on the tach. Car will take care of the rest.

Another thing that hurts me too is that car and driver are about 450 lbs. heavier than Lone Star 1's. That isn't going to change. I might drop 20 lbs personally but, if anything, the car is going to get heavier as I add the strut tower braces, etc. I'm keeping it as a relatively comfortable daily driver that will have the ability to spank a stock Z06. That will include a good AC and custom interior and sound system along with some more suspension and drivetrain upgrades.

60 ft's were a function of time spent just spinning and hopping the rear tires. Know what I need to do there too, just not too sure how long it will take me to settle down and control the car. I think just the time I spent in the rev limiter in 1st & 2nd cost me enough to keep me out of the twelves this past Friday. Got to go on the second yellow an dthen concentrate on the tach. Car will take care of the rest.

For now you are testing to see where you can improve, so forget about the lights, forget about reaction time and forget about the car in the next lane. Get a pair of 235/60-15 BFG DRs and focus on what it takes to get the car launched for the quickest 60'. It is not unusual to see me have a 3-sec reaction time because I am sitting there focusing on launch RPM, boost, etc. Like Jeff said, does not matter if you sit there for a minute, it has no effect on the ET. What it will do is help you understand better what it takes to launch the car so the next time it is more instinctive. Getting the car launched for a good 60' is not about just revving up the engine and dumping the clutch unless you are running monster slicks.

With a 2.19 60', you are giving away .5 in the ET and you can gain that with the tires, patience and focus. I know it is human nature to be concerned about the car in the next lane but you have to focus on shutting off everything else going on around you. I know this will sound strange but when you start becoming focused, all the confusion you experienced will become a calm and things almost seem to be in slow-motion. This is kind of like the hitter saying they can see the seams on a 90mph fastball.

BTW, notice how many times I said focus :D

Benjiv - Nope -no spider-webbing anywhere yet. See Update #27 just for you.

Scotty - Focus? I thought that was a Ford?! Thanks for the words of wisdom. I wa already coming to the same conclusion but you've cemented it for me. For what it's worth at least I wsn't reving the engine and dumping the clutch. This thing has so much power all I have to do is let the clutch out and stab the throttle and it lights the tires up. YOu're absolutely right about ignoring the lights. I'm going to start my run on the second yellow from now on and focus on clutch and throttle control.

235/60-15's? I think I'll look and see if they maybe have something a bit taller. With a 3.70 R200 and a 2.66:1 first gear I can use the tallest tire I can fit. If not, Ill get those 15's and and focus on getting the most out of them. Which wheels are you running with them? I need to fit the tire into a standard wheel well with a standard suspension, no coil overs yet.

Thanks again.

235/60-15's will fit under the first gen Z's. I should know as I have a set of 235/60-15 drag radials under mine as we speak! Go get um Tiger!

Mike

Just did a few minutes of research on those BFG's. OD=26.1" while my Yoko's have an OD=24.9". That's the equivalent of dropping my 3.70 down to a 3.43. It just keeps getting better! Now I just need to get the right wheels to mount them on. 15" ZX wheels work?

Just did a few minutes of research on those BFG's. OD=26.1" while my Yoko's have an OD=24.9". That's the equivalent of dropping my 3.70 down to a 3.43. It just keeps getting better! Now I just need to get the right wheels to mount them on. 15" ZX wheels work?

I think the ZX wheels are too narrow at 6" width. You need a minimum of 7" of width for that tire I believe.

:D Since you guys are talking about tires, I'll throw in a few pics of what I am working on for my Velo Rossa project. Hybrid suspension of Nissan 240SX, 200SX, Infinity J30 and Q45 parts, all so that I can have big brakes, 5 lugs and 335/35/17's. Tires are used Michellin XGT's from a Viper. Paid $50 for the tires to check fit. I also got the 275/40/17's for the front and I think they will fit too, that will be the project for today. The VR kit has 3" flares in the front, 6" in the rear. I will probably go to 315's in the rear, which fit my wheels better, are more common and cost less. It is nice to have 6" of flare to play with! :2thumbs::burnout:

tire5.jpgtire2.jpgtire3.jpgtire1.jpg