HybridZ

Nissan 5.6 litre DOHC V8

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

G'day,

I'm informed that the 2004 NIssan Titan pickup (some kind of american market "pickup" thing?) will be packing a 5.6 litre DOHC V8.

Anybody know about this engine, or whether it is part of the current or past nissan lineup? I'm guessing its a relative of the VH/VQ V8s in the infiniti's, big jap cars etc.

I reckon this would be an awesome swap into a zed, once they hit the secondhand market...apparently 256kw/510nm stock, I imagine that would climb with headers and a decent intake...how good is that though, nearly 350 cubes, plenty of power, a v8, and all nissan.....

04.nissan.titan.eng.500.jpg

cheers,

Floody

Guest 81na ZX

Displacement: 339 cu in, 5552cc

Power (mfr’s est): 300 bhp @ 5000 rpm

Torque (mfr’s est)v 375 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm

Transmission: 5-speed automatic with lockup torque converter

My concern with this powerplant is its potential reluctance to rev, and a long stroke. It is a truck engine...

But its enough for Nissan to give it a 15.5 @ 91mph quater out of a 4700lb truck

Displacement: 339 cu in' date=' 5552cc

[/quote']

You can get 280 HP out of the 3.5L VQ35DE. They only pull out another 20 hp with 2 more liters. Something is wrong here.

Guest 81na ZX

[/quote']

You can get 280 HP out of the 3.5L VQ35DE. They only pull out another 20 hp with 2 more liters. Something is wrong here.

with 2 more litres, they produce another 100 ftlbs of torque. I fail to see what wrong.....

Guest Anonymous

[/quote']

with 2 more litres, they produce another 100 ftlbs of torque. I fail to see what wrong.....

When is the last time you heard a add or someone on the forum saying "I just upped my torque x ft-lbs!!" Yah it's important but people want to see HP. I had a vehicle with high torque and mediocre HP #'s. Great for towing and off roading but crap for driving.

When is the last time you heard a add or someone on the forum saying "I just upped my torque x ft-lbs!!"

I hear that all the time, that is exactly what you do when you add a turbo to any engine. You are adding more torque in the mid rpm range. As has been said many times you have to look at both hp and torque curves to understand an engine.

According to Automotive Industries the new Titan engine is based on the Infiniti 4.5 liter VK45DE engine but the bore was increased from 93 to 98mm and the stroke was increased from 82.7 to 92mm for a total displacement of 5.6 liters.

Other differences to the VK45DE are the use of steel valves instead of titanium, the lack of variable valve timing and a reduced compression ratio of 9.8 instead of 10.5.

BTW, the Infiniti engine has 340HP@6400rpm and 333ft-lbs@4000rpm. The Titan engine is rated at "over" 300HP and 375 plus ft-lbs of torque.

"Pickup" in American English means "Ute" in Downunder English!

Yes, the Titan is going to take on the American Utes full-on. I think Nissan is conservatively rating this to market better against the market segment leader, the Ford F150 (or "Lobo" for our friends in Mexico...)

This should be good. I can't wait. A Titan is supposed to be available at our car show next weekend out in Temecula. Unfortunately I will be owrking that day, so I told my wife to take a LOT of photos. :(

• 9 months later...

Well, it kind of begs a question doesnt it? If the Vk45DE and VK56DE are the same block, what kind of power would the 56 make with the 45 heads on it with a recalibrated computer for fuel delivery? 5.6 dohc with vvt?!

Not to mention the 6k+ redline....

starting this topic to the 'other engine' board too..

When I test drove one of these I was told that it was a VQ35 with 2 more cylinders, not an Infinity V8 that was bored and stroked.

It hauled butt big time! Very impressive engine, and the tranny was great too. Ended up with a new GMC based only on price. Were price no issue, I'd definitely have the Nissan in the driveway right now.

well, I know valvcover to valvecover is't narrow enough to go in an S30.

But the engine is TALL. When I measured the prototype at a car sho early last year, the Nissan Keepers were "HEY! You with the tape measure come here!"

They just shook theri head when therealized I was not some competition spy, and was really measuring the engine for fitment in another chassis. I believe their comment was "This thing isn't at dealers yet, and this guy is already trying to get it fit in something else!"

We are all diseased! :D

BTW, how does one poast as a guest? Found that interesting. Feature disabled now, right?

Guest ON3GO

we had one of the titans intake manifold right next to a LS1 manifold and it looks almost the same, looks like the nissan one could flow more though :D,

i test drove one of these trucks too and man o man i want one. its a great truck with a awesome motor.

mike