HybridZ

taurus fan install at fordmuscle.com

timh

Guest greimann
2000 cfm ?? Is that low? I thought they put out more than that.

Mike

Note they say estimated. Don't get too hung up on CFM ratings for fans and such because most are rated in free air. Once you put some restriction in the flow like a radiator, you really start to test the efficiency of the blade design, shroud and motor. Remember the infamous 600 cfm electric supechargers?

The real number that stands out is the current pull. 40 amps at 14 volts is 560 watts of power. The black magic fan only pulls 13.9 amps. At 14 volts that is 195 watts. Which fan works harder to move air?

Guest Anonymous

40 Amps pull even though intermittent could be something to consider depending on your use. 40 amps definately require a good strong battery especially in light of the other draws on the system.

• 2 weeks later...
40 Amps pull even though intermittent could be something to consider depending on your use. 40 amps definately require a good strong battery especially in light of the other draws on the system.

The battery is just to start the motor. The alternator is what powers everything when running, but at idle that fan might exceed the alternator on an old Z.

Guest cbrunberg

How can you test real amp draw -vs- the advertised amp draw of the fan. Where would you place a tester and what kind of tester do you need. ( I fried a VOM last time i tried to test my alt).

Carl

• 6 months later...
How can you test real amp draw -vs- the advertised amp draw of the fan. Where would you place a tester and what kind of tester do you need. ( I fried a VOM last time i tried to test my alt).

They have inductive amp sensors. Maybe there's an accessory for a VOM that gives you the amps in the form of millivolts on the display.

Guest battg8r

Are there any clearance issues/problems when this is installed with an L28? Would the GM alternator upgrade solve the high amp draw problem?

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...