HybridZ

digital camera opinions?

David K

you should check the camera to see if it has lighting correction.... if so there will be settings to correct for normal household bulb lights, (yellowish tint in the photo) tungsten bulbs, fluorescent, and even cloudy days outside. this will hepl make a sharp photo even snappier, and reduce the amount of time spent in an editor. I personally dont usually recommend Sony... unless you already have some of their other compatible products.... irritates me that a company that does quite a few nice things should be so determined to use propietary devices and technology..... :evil: Oh well... they all do it to a certain extent, and would be completely propietary were it not for the certainty that they would lose business. Nice Die-casts btw... = ) I think I am going to start picking up datsun and nissan odds an ends to decorate my office in the house we are moving to. have a heated and air-conditioned garage-loft combo that will be all mine :D . (only single car but it is free, I certainly cant complain.

tannji

I’m with Petew and Drax240z: the lens is the heart of any camera (well, maybe not pinhole cameras), and a point and shoot can’t compare to an SLR. Lens interchangeability, through-the-lens metering and through-the-lens viewing (especially important for close-focus photography), provision for remote flash, depth of field preview (very useful for technical photography, such as documenting Z construction1),....

But digital SLRs are still too expensive. In the 35mm film world, you can get a decent SLR body and a single-focal length 50mm or 35mm lens for around $400 from one of the mail order stores based in New York City (look in magazines such as Popular Photography). But digital SLRs are still $1500+, from what I've seen.

My experience with film point and shoots was that the single-focal length cameras are superior, such as the Yashica T4 or the Olympus Stylus Epic. The Epic has a max aperture of 1:2.8 – very nice! P&S zooms run into severe problems at the longer focal lengths – principally, very small aperture, and all sorts of aberrations.

I have not, however, been able to find any single-focal length digital P&S cameras (I mean NO optical zoom at all).

The other problem with most digital cameras is “latency” – press the shutter button, and the camera fires after a delay, instead of “almost immediately” (in my Nikon N90s, it’s something like 40 milliseconds, if I recall correctly; maybe even less). That makes it difficult to shoot action shots, or to shoot in low-light situations, where you relax your stance after you think that the shot is over, and allow the camera to move – but it hasn’t taken the picture yet, so the result is blurry.

Michael, there are fixed focal length digitals out there... the cheap ones.

Yo, don't make the mistake of thinking more pixels is going to give you a better picture. It will give you a bigger picture, one better for enlarging perhaps, but I'd much rather have a fast lens than an extra megapixal or two. The Sony DSC-F717 is a great example of this. It kicks butt on its competition (G3, G5, 5700, etc) for picture quality because of its lens. (F2.0-F3.0) This means better low light shooting (where the F717 excells I might add), clearer action shots, and overall more flexability because you can add a telephoto lens/filters and still have a reasonably fast lens. More megapixals will not help here.

To me the DSC-F717 is the best all around camera on the market right now, when considering cost, clarity and functions. The new announcements from Fuji for the fall really look like they are ready to challange though.

Canon knocked off something like $500 off the 6D price with the release of the 10D... Pretty sweet digital SLR for as low as $1299 US. Of course lenses are going to set you back that much again.

I guess I'm talking about micro pixels quality. Like Nikon lenses on 35mm can capture more image (pixels on digital) than what the digital camera can create and process. It's nothing the naked eyes can tell difference. :D I'm an art stidio major so we are always debating about the 35mm vs digital.

We just all need to get Nikon F5's :D

I bought a Canon A70 after my Coolpix 850 that I had for 2+ years was stolen (house buglary). I like the A70 camera, but I had a bad experience with it. The motor drive in the optical unit went bad, so I had to send it in for Warrantee repair. They told me it would be 10 days at the most. 6 weeks and many phone calls later I finally got it back! They kept telling me that since it was such a new model, they were having trouble getting parts from the factory because they needed them to build new units. Anyway, nice camera, but reliabilty and customer service are, IMHO, in question.

Be very careful about 'too good to be true' online prices. Ask them if they are an authorized dealer. If they are not, you might get no warranty, possibly no manual, battery, etc. I ran into this when I was buying my G2. I placed the order through a place and then felt uneasy so I started checking into the deal. I found out that many online places are very shady. I quickly cancelled my order and reodered the camera from another place. Better to be safe than stuck with a deal from an unreputable store.

Get some good Nimh batteries...

I can't find the link to the tests but the Powerex batteries are supposedly the best...

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-4aa220.htm

Also look at http://www.nimhbattery.com/mhc401fs.htm for a charger...

But wait.... there's more !!

I picked up some decent panasonic 1600 mah nimh batteries with a charger at Big Lots :shock: for $9.99..... ( so I picked up two of them :D )