HybridZ

Doors Don't Fit Anymore

georgiaz

I know this topic has been hashed and rehashed, but the Precision door weatherstripping will not let my doors close close all the way. The car looks awsome with new paint except the doors stick out about a half inch. Any new suggestions on weatherstripping that fits? The hatch is only slightly better.

I just called the local Nissan dealer. He said if he could get them, which he doubts, they would be $206.00 each. I have read nearly as many complaints on the zcar.com forums abut the OEM stuff as some of the aftermarket. I'm going to see if I can find an Isuzu in a junk yard to get some off of. Supposedly it works very well.

someone posted an alternative to that with a part number from mcmaster carr. i actually ordered enough from them to do 2 cars for less than $80... i havent installed mine yet, but have heard that it works quite well. someone knew of this through a z car resto shop that uses this instead of the oem or precision parts.

i'll try to round up my receipt and get the part number (unless someone else can step in...). oh, and pep boys sells the same weatherstripping for twice the price. :roll:

Hi georgiaZ, McMaster-Carr has the door weather stripping. Pierre Z car's, they're a z restoration shop in southern california recommended them.http://www.Mcmastercarr.com look at page 3181. item number 1120A33 . each door takes about 11.5 feet. so the 25 foot roll is what your looking for. Hope that helps.

Hi georgiaZ, McMaster-Carr has the door weather stripping. Pierre Z car's, they're a z restoration shop in southern california recommended them.www.Mcmastercarr.com[/url'] look at page 3181. item number 1120A33 . each door takes about 11.5 feet. so the 25 foot roll is what your looking for. Hope that helps.

Thanks for posting that information!!!!!!!!

Davy

I may redo mine as the Victoria British kit sucked. Pulled apart the two piece and tore in other area's after 1 year. I don't drive my car but a couple of times a week too.

Mike

I just called the local Nissan dealer. He said if he could get them, which he doubts, they would be $206.00 each.

$206 each!! Are they crazy! I bought mine from someone who worked for Nissan in Canada for $46 each! I also bought the windshield, and back glass seal for I think the same price each. The doors close great.

Fastzcars you nailed it with the tip about McMaster-Carr. They have a distribution center here in Atlanta and although you can't buy over the counter, they mailed it to me and I had it in two days. It worked like a charm and looks every bit as good as the original stuff. If anyone is having problems with weatherstripping, this is the solution. Thanks. I'm calling Victoria Brit this morning to give them a peice of my mind and demand a refund on the junk they sold me.

This might help some of you.I have the Precision door weatherstripping I pulled back the precision stuff on the bottom only and to my surprise the door closed great. I put a piece of the mc master-carr gasket on the bottom and the door still worked great. The problem could be in the angle of the inner and outer rocker panel flange. I have not had time to go any farther on this.

Good luck

Mike

• 3 months later...

I put Nissan door weatherstrips on my car when I had it painted. I had to SLAM the doors to get them to close, then the weatherstrips fell apart. I took them back to Nissan, they replaced the first set saying "They've probably been on the shelf for 20 years" and gave me a new set. The second set took another year to fall apart. I've given up on the factory stuff.

DON'T SPEND THE $$$ ON FACTORY W/S.

My $.02,

Jon

I went by precision and exchanged it for a different one, didn't cost me anything. This one fits much better.

BTW, I think the 240z didnt have a piece of weatherstrip across door jamb, instead they relied on a rubber flap attached to the bottom of the door.

I was wondering the same thing. A or C. I was about to order the 25' roll but I want to make sure before I do.

My car came with a complete Vic Brit weather stripping kit new in a box. I put the rear hatch on without much of a problem but the driver's door is hideous! I will probably take that crap back off and get some of this stuff.

Ok I'm about to give up on my driver's side door ever closing the way it is supposed too! :fmad: The door has to be slammed very hard to get it closed then you have to practically break the door handle to open the damn thing!

It does have a new rubber seal from Vic Brit on it but the door was very hard to close even before I put on the new seal. Tonight I took the door off and adjusted the hinges, no luck! I even put on another door from my parts car, no luck!

As I said the door was hard to close and open when I bought the car so the new rubber may not be the problem. Any suggestions before I loose my mind on this one?