HybridZ

Brake help no brakes

I am having problem with my brakes. I tried to bleed the brakes today without any luck. So I went to the store and bought a new MC. I still have the same problem. When I step on the brake pedel it goes to the floor. The brakes have been bled at all 4 wheels and the MC. I will be at the junk yard on Sunday I might pick up a zx MC and a 2+2 booster. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks

Mike

My bled screw is on the bottom and not the top. This might be the problem, I will switch the calipers. I went to the junk yard today and bought a booster and MC from a 80zx, I also bought one from a 83zx. I want to try and fit the 83zx boodter and MC in my car, I like the MC better.

thanks

Mike

Guest rick458

you have to bleed the air out of the Master Cylinder before you hook it up

I replaced mine and rebuilt the calipers and replaced the cylinders in back

the car had sat up for 10 years and I had some crap in the lines

I really had to horse the pedal to push it through the proportioning block

(the wife could not do it -she loved being at the bleeder when it all broke loose)

• 1 month later...

mas280, was your brake-bleeding problem solved by installing the ZX components?

By the way, what’s the procedure for bleeding the master cylinder itself?

I had a similar problem, though somewhat more benign: after reconnecting the brake lines on all 4 corners (they were disconnected for some suspension work), I studiously bled the 4 brake slave cylinders. Now the pedal functions passably, but it’s still softer than I remember it being before the “repair”, and upon first pressing the brake pedal there’s a guttural wail (air rushing by/compressing) coming from the area of the master cylinder. Throughout the car, most of the brake lines are new, and the proportioning block has been relocated. Calipers and slave cylinders are all stock.

i have heard of a master cylinder bench bleeding kit but i'm not sure where you would get one. you could try your local auto parts store. the basic idea is that you disconnect the brake lines from the master and hook up another set of lines which feed back into their respective reservoirs so you have a closed loop. then you keep the brake fluid topped up while pumping the brakes. any air that is in the master should be pumped back out into the reservoir and replaced by fluid. once the air is gone you can remove the lines, reinstall the master cylinder and reconnect the brake lines. now you can bleed the rest of the system knowing that you aren't just pushing fluid past an air bubble in your master.

Most masters that I've come across come with a "bleeding kit" which is 2 short pieces of vacuum hose. you just set the master in a vise, route the hoses from the bleeder screws right back to the reservoirs, and pump the master with a screwdriver. The problem is that when it shoots air into the reservoirs the fluid gets thousands of tiny bubbles in it, which kinda ruins the whole "getting air out of the system" thing.

The original problem in this post was obviously that the guy had the rear calipers on the wrong sides. If the bleeders are on the bottom, you're going to be bleeding forever, unless you have a rotisserie to help you out...

Jon

ok well

#1 i think ur on your way to working breaks..... make sure u have a good brake booster with no air leaks. make sure u have a good master.

#2 did u make sure your brake pedal was linked to the break booster correctly?

#3 when u bleed your brakes dont forget that the line the break fluid is draining from must be in the break fluid or else air will get back into your break lines.

#4 when bleeding the MC all you have to do it connect a rubber hose to the bleed nipple loated under the break flud resivore. get a partner t pump the brake pedal untill the air bubbles stop comming out. keep the brake held down and tightin the bleed nipple.