HybridZ

what size fuel cell, and other fuel questions..

Guest ON3GO

well i need a fuel cell because im putting a L28ET in my 280Z...

doing this because im not sure what to do to my stock tank. so i guess ill just buy a fuel cell.

now what size fuel cell fits perfect in the spare tire well.. like gallon size too. i dont need a $400 one, ive seen them for 100 bucks and thats great for me..

any ideas where i can get one.. i looked at jegs but wasnt sure...

thanks guys..

Here's one thread

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9926&highlight=

There are quite a few other threads, some which mention dimensions.

If you remove the spare tire well, then by my measurements Summit sells a fuel cell that should be a perfect fit. Only issue then will be the fill spout.

I really don't like the idea of sticking a gas hose inside my hatch to fill up. I would love to find a cell that has the fill opening on the side so I could mount the cell flush to the underside and route a fill tube to a flip down license plate.

BTW, why can't you use the stock tank with the new engine?

from what i was told the 280Z fuel tank on my '76 wont work with rge 280ZX.. i gotta like fab up something to it.. and i really dont have the tools or time to do it... if i even gotta do something..

thanks for the other thread.. i did a search but didnt find anything really..

thanks..

from what i was told the 280Z fuel tank on my '76 wont work with rge 280ZX.. i gotta like fab up something to it.. and i really dont have the tools or time to do it... if i even gotta do something..

thanks for the other thread.. i did a search but didnt find anything really..

thanks..

I don't know who told you that the stock FI tanks won't work, but it's common for 240Z turbo conversions to bolt in a '75 or '76 tank because the old 240Z/260Z carb tanks do not work well. Just a suggestion, as a fuel cell is a nice thing, but I'd recommend getting the turbo engine in and working first before going whole hog on a fuel system upgrade. You will need to fabricate tank mounts, fuel lines, fuel pump and plumbing, custom rail and regulator. I bet it'll be at least another $700-$800 before you are done, and troubleshooting a bunch of problems is much harder than one at a time.

I'm still using the stock tank with upgraded fuel system, as long as I keep it filled more than 1/4 tank, I never have any problems.

I welded in two extra 3/8 NPT pickups into the side of the original tank. Below the original lines. This increased the size and also you don't get all the gunk from the bottom of the tank into your lines. I'll try to take a picture tomorow.