HybridZ

Jackpot! found a rear end.. should i get it?

Guest ON3GO

hey guys.. i found a 1988 Z31 Turbo 300zx in a local junkyard with only 50K miles on it...

everything is gone but the rear end... its got a Fined cover on it.. and i couldnt really check it out but from what i read the fined cover is the good one and LSD... so should i buy it for $300 bucks.... for the whole rear end assembly..

do i need the driveshaft too.. thats if they have it..

i wont have time to swap it in i dont think nor would i have enough for the other parts to swap it in my 280Z, but it might be good to just hold on to it..

good idea?

thanks guys..

:D Good Score! If you are going V8 you probably don't need that driveshaft. If not I you may want to get it as I think the pinion flange on that rear is different. Definately buy it for $300. I paid 300 for mine on EBAY and drove from Columbus Ohio to Atlanta to pick it up. Get the halfshafts even if you are not going to use them now they may come in handy later. You can always sell what you don't need on this sight later.

But, it could have been painted. Make sure and check the differential for a VLSD tag. If you can't find a tag, then pop both axles out and see if you can look through the differential. If you can't look through it, then it's the VLSD. If you have an unobstructed view through it, then it's the clutch type LSD. If there is something sort of obstructing your view through the differential, then that would be the cross pin (I think that's the name of it), which is found in a open rear end.

!M!

Guest 240hybrid

Even if it is a Viscous LSD, you can still use it. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

You said that the entire rear end is for sale, so you know that the CVs go with that diff., and that is the only problem I have heard of with using the SS viscous LSD....is matching the CVs to the diff.

I haven't heard of any reasons why not to use the viscous LSD, is there any reasons that the viscous is less desirable than the clutch type. It should bolt in the same way a clutch type LSD should. From what I've read and been told the viscous diff will last longer too.

Well if all the interior was out and it was red under the dash then you can bet that it was a red car, cause nobody(99% of people) dont take out the dash and paint under there when they paint the car. Unless of course they are doing a full ground up restoration. I dont think thats the case here.

If you get the diff and CV's then BUY IT UP! You could buy it and sell it for more than $300 most likely! You could sell it to me for $300.01! LOL :D:wink:

Guy

Guest 240hybrid

Heck, viscous or clutch type LSD, their both LSD units that bolt in. Grab that puppy before someone else does, get talkin with Ross C about getting some adapters made up and you'll be painting the road with 2 tires. :burnout:

$300.00 for the entire rear end is a great deal too.