HybridZ

Tool Review...

Mikelly

Most of my hand tools for working on the car are S&K. Open and box end wrenches, adjustable wrenches, socket set, screwdrivers etc. An old friend of the family gave them to me in the late 1980's at which time they were probably over 20 years old. The best hand tools I have ever worked with. I use the socket set for everything from the car to the junkyard with a breaker bar. It is still going strong and ratchets smoothly.

-Harbor Freight 12 ton press. poorly assembled/fit piece of junk. Most parts won't line up right when you assemble it, and I snapped a cheap grade 2 bolt when putting it together. While it did the job (albeit somewhat poorly) it took a while to easily line things up. It's a simple built, metal frame with a 12 ton bottle jack on a platform suspended on 2 heavy duty springs. 5/10 -$99

I bought the 20 ton Harbor Freight press after inspecting (and passing on) the 12 ton version. The 20 ton press works great! Well worth the $159 price tag. I have used it on several diffs and probably a dozen axle and drive shaft U-joints.

Handtools=Craftsman --Been very happy with them.

Drill=Dewalt. Love it tons of torque

Saws-All= Dewalt Love this one too. I used to have the HF model that I had bought on sale but, after a few years of use and abuse it finally died.

Grinder= Don't know what brand it is. Gift from Mother-in-Law

Electric Die Grinder=Craftsman. Works much better than the air powered models.

Compressor/Air tools-Most of what I have is crap but, gets the job done. I do have a craftsman 3/8 drive air wrench that I like.

Lots of different hammers and missalanious stuff that I have bought from Harbor Freight.

I want one of the Presses from Harbor Freight but, still haven't gotten around to justifing it yet to my wife.

• 7 years later...
Guest sprpilot

I got a set of Metrinches years ago. The ratchet started slipping after very little use so I just replaced it with one of my Craftsman ratchets. But I was thinking about getting my boys a set for Christmas and it reminded me that they have a "Replacement Warranty". So I got there address to send the old broken ratchet in to. I did not see the part that said it would not only cost me time and money to ship it to them, but they wanted me to pay them $15.00 to replace it. And $10.00 for any other piece that broke. $10.00 for a socket? That is not a "Warranty". That is buying a new one from them. When I got an email telling me I needed to send them $15.00, I told them to just send the broken one back to me.....been 2 months and they still have it. That pissed me off so much I bought my boys this set from Harbor Freight...http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-301-piece-mechanics-tool-kit-45951.html....they are both made in China and the 301 piece is very good quality for the price. Metrinch can go pound sand.

Glad this thread came back up:

1. Home Depot (RIDGID) 18V drill: Crap - I can burn one up in two days and they won't honor the warranty because I abuse them. A 1 3/4" hole saw cutting roll bar tubing is abuse? Well, it probably is.
  2. Milwookie 18V drill; Great. It can handle the 1 3/4" hole saw and roll bar tubing for at least 6 months now.
  3. Stanley 5 lb. Sledge Hammer: Crap. Handle snapped off after two years.
  4. Unknown 5 lb. Sledge hammer (found next to the railroad tracks): Great. Still working fine after 8 years.
  5. Drill Doctor: Useless POS that just makes metal dust out of expensive drill bits.
  6. Cheap Generic Jobber Drill Bit Set: Great. When the bits dull, throw them away.
  7. Oatey Dark Thread Cutting Oil: Great. Keeps cheap generic jobber drill bits from getting dull.

A few more for me as well over the years:

Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw: 10/10 One of my best purchases ever. Solid design, great blade, can shave off pieces of lumber 0.010" thick repeatedly.

Makita 12" metal chop saw: 9/10 Rock solid and works great.

Makita sanders (orbital, 1/3 sheet): 9/10 At $50ea on sale, a smoking deal and great products.

Rigid 1/2" Corded Hammer Drill: 2/10 Crap. Lasted me 12 x 1/2" holes in cheap concrete before burning up.

Dewalt 1/2" Corded Hammer Drill: 8/10 Good value for money. Still ticking along nicely.

Mastercraft ratcheting wrenches: 9/10 I have metric and SAE longs and stubby's, my first choice of wrenches every time. Inexpensive, durable, excellent!

Ryobi 18V cordless stuff: 8/10 Good value for money, batteries are a bit expensive and relatively short lived.

I'm with John C on his #6. I buy them for the Indexes, and as they burn up, I replace them with 'good' drills that I hide from the wife and son. There a plenty of HF Drills floating around my place...but hidden in a locked cabinet is the nice high-end American Made Drill set which is almost complete now, after two decades of burning up cheap drills and charging them on my expense reports! :D

I bought a Butterfly 3/8" Drive Air Impact from Harbor Freight in 1985. I abused it forever, and sometime around 2005 it stopped turning after I spent several weeks using it at NAS Coronado on and air system that literally had water flowing out the exhaust port when I used it. No, I didn't lubricate it. I didn't fill it with WD40, and then at the end of the job I just threw it in the tool box and it probably rusted solid. I've been meaning to take it apart and see if the vanes are able to be freed up. It's a principle thing, I bought it for $9.99 and had FREE SHIPPING to my APO. It's probably the best buy I ever made in a tool. I would NEVER have thought I would use it as much as I did (in an industrial setting daily from 1989 to 2005) and it never missed a beat. I rarely oiled it, and when I did, it was with whatever was available. Never did any of the stuff you were supposed to do. I am really amazed it lasted and performed like a new tool right to the end. Bought the replacement at HF on sale for the same $9.99, but it isn't finished as nicely as this one which was "Made in Japan".