HybridZ

Any seats to look for?

jmead

Well, I'm going to the junyard tomorrow, and they're having a special; any seat for $5. Sounds good to me, but I need to know what to look for. The Z seats leave a little to be desired, so I'm looking to upgrade. Any ideas? I think I heard something about mr2 seats? Thanks for any help

MR2, Acura Integra, CRX, Miata, etc. Look for ones that fit you, are well bolstered, and go from there. Brackets are relatively easy to fabricate and require little welding if any.

BTW, some Plymouth Lasers and Dodge Challengers had some cool Mark Cross leather seats that are the bomb. Most are electric and have lumbar adjustments too. Not as simple as the cars above, but for $5 a seat, what do you care?

Just some thoughts.

Davy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest silverbullet

Sorry to come in late on the topic guys but how about everyone that reads this do all of us a favor and keep the seat thing updated on what you have and how it works/feels and one more very important thing could everyone please post your height and weight with what seat fits you well ? What works well for a 5' 6" 160lb. person might not fit good for a 6'4" 280lb. person, thanks :)

album_pic.php?pic_id=1830

I have found the Zvesda K-36 to be a very functional unit. It can be found at some surplus shops, usually with out the optional flotation devise. It is seen here doing testing with my ex-wife’s lawyer strapped to the passenger seat. Launched that sucker half way across the lake. I had to order a new seat. I have found this to be the ultimate in exit tech for these hi risk machines….really.

Cheers…:::Glenn

and that same seat might not work for a 6' 10" 190lb person... wait, they dont make seats for that kind of person... i forgot. i personally like the stock seats, dont like not having good seat belts though, so to racing seats is where i shall go, along with some four pointers.

-Zach

Well for a running record of seats for our Z's I'll add something as well.

I am running Fiero seats (the seats with the speakers in the headrest) They don't allow for a lot of rear movement, but they fit me just fine at 5ft8" and 170lbs. I used my stock seat rails and used some 1/8X2" flatbar to center the seat on the stock rails.

I don't think they would work well for anyone over 6ft tall though.

stock 280zx highback buckets work well too. again not good for people on the plus side of 6ft.

(both of these seats place you 1/2" higher in your seat approx.)