HybridZ

V8 emblem or not?

Here's the thing. I have a pair of these cool 60's chrome V8 emblems. I sanded off the chrome( not very good chrome) and will paint them the color of the car, so you really have to look to see them. I was thinking of putting them on the lower part of the front fenders behind the wheels.My question is.. should I put these on, or go sleeper and not use them at all? What do you guys think?

Mike kZ

Since you didnt have to cut your hood, i would go sleeper (like the low rumble of the

exhaust wont give it away) to anyone that

knows the slightest thing about a hot rod!!

I am trying to get a stock hood and a remote

air cleaner to go back to the sleeper look.

I would like to have one of those HUGE

Borla Boomer Mufflers hanging out the back

just to make the kids think that i am another "import!@$%$#^%" performance guys,

but they dont make one with a large enough

inlet... I do not want to choke 475 hp for

a sleeper look....

I started to go the whole stealth route with the engine install until I heard a 350 small block setup pretty much the same way mine is. You can't hide the fact that you have two extra cylinders and a whole lot more HP and torque when you fire it up. People want to use single tail pipes and other contribe ways to try to hide what they have done, but lets face it, the first time you fire that puppy up, all bets are off and your secret is no more. Besides, why bother hiding all that work? There will still be fools out there who think their pimped out honda with racer boy stripes and Maxwell House tail pipe can out run you....after all, those stickers gotta be worth 5HP each right? And what about those racing stripes? Another 2HP, I'm sure......

Let it roar, and be proud when every head turns. when I pull into parking lots, people don't just look, they start walking over immediately. That is the coolest!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I think I'm with Mikelly on this one, it would be a nice touch. You probably wont even see it unless you look hard. Besides I'm proud of having a Chevy V8 under the hood!, and like Mike said you can't hide it when the engine comes to life! Myron, I do have a hole cut in the hood, with an AC Cobra low profile hood scoop molded to the hood. Not to mention the shortened diff, sump welded to the gas tank, and dual exhaust on each side of the tank. I don't think I can hide it! Thanks for the opinions.

Mike kZ

[This message has been edited by Mike kZ (edited February 15, 2000).]

Ya know, the body colored emblems here, they probably won't even get noticed! But if youre

talking dual exhausts and flares, and whale

tail spoilers, well, thats another story.

I choose the close-to-stock-look because I want to enjoy the feeling of disbelief the opponent gets when he eats my dust! He'll

be saying "what the hell just beat me?!" Just

like Mikelly's story! Oh what a feeling!

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

• 6 months later...
Guest Fast Frog

Hee Hee:

Dug up a real old one on you guys!

BTW, some of you who may be interested in "advertizing" with decals and such. I've got a couple of catalogs. One is call "Trim parts" from which I purchased a pair of '57 Corvette flags which are now attached to my V8 Z right where the "280 Z" decals once were behind the front whls. I've also got a "383" decal sitting on top of those Vette flags that I purchased from a "Day One" catalog which specializes in Mopar decals and trim parts.

If anyone is interested, I'll get the phone#s and email addresses if they have one.

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited August 18, 2000).]

I don't know. If your car sounds like Mike Kelly's, all bets are off on the sleeper thing if it's running and you have your windows down. But with your windows are up and your stereo going loud out on the highway at cruise, you might be fooled until he steps on it.

Mike's car sounds great BTW - no, not the sound of a silky high windng L6 (which I also like), but the sound of cubic inches, a big cam, and a large free flowing exhaust (which I prefer). It sounds great! I love the sound of a big cubic inch V8 at a rough cammy idle, something you can loose some of with EFI if you tune it out.

One thing to consider is that somebody might be checking out your car in a parking lot (with or without you around) and might see those emblems. That might get them to lay on the ground and check out the underneath and respect. The attention might be good or bad if you aren't there.

I think I'll go for the sleeper look while the engine is off, but the dual mufflers (side by side) kind of give it away.

I like those oldie V8 emblems - the big V with the 8 in the middle. They'd be pretty trick on a dark car painted the same color.

I just don't know.

Personally I prefer the sleeper look too... maybe from too many rice boys and their stickers, I don't know. But there is something to be said for a classy set of decals/emblems.

I'd say that this would look better contrasted with your paint scheme, as opposed to the same colour. If you had any of the datsun emblems in chrome on the car, I'd coat the V8 ones to match.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Only 5 hp from ricerocket stickers? I had fun blowing away a Mitsu 3000 Twin Turbo with "TURBO ENGINEERING" slapped on with 10 inch tall letters! He must have figured each letter was worth about 10 hp! (It really was a nice ride with a really cool sounding pressure relief valve)

I have a really small chevy bowtie just below my rear hatch button, also found the small "supercharged" emblem off the New Buick looked pretty cool right under the 240. Neither stand out, but it's amazing how many people seen in the rear view start to point and smile. Its all in the name of vanity. Its nearly impossible to hide a V8 rumble. The 4.3's 2 1/2 to 3" exhaust note doesn't really fool anybody either. I'd say its like war paint, meant to intimidate the enemy. Go for it!

JS

Okay, I'll weight in. I say go sleeper as much as you can. I'm not putting anything on my car that says V8 or 6cyl for that matter. I'll have duals - one on each side - and a fuel tank sump w/braided line peeking out but I hope to keep it fairly quiet. frankly I like a quiet motor - not silent - but not so loud folks have to roll up their windows when I pull up. These Mustang guys w/offroad exhaust and 2 chamber mufflers drive me nuts! I hate it when the thing crackles too.

If I can find some REASONABLY priced ricer mufflers I'll do that too. We'll see :-)