HybridZ

looking for light weight ~200hp engine ideas

Guest Anonymous

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

ncrosno, what exactly are you looking for? I cant really see spending $1000 or more for an engine swap if you are worried enough about $ to be focusing on mileage. Are you looking for just anything that can put out about 200HP and still get mileage, or are you looking for something that will be more exotic and have a big WOW factor?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3.4 that I mentioned did NOT have overhead cams. It is an overhead valve design with the cam in the block, and based on the 2.8/3.1 60degree V6 that was so poular in the 80`s FWD cars.

Lots of information that would cross over for a Z swap can be found here...

http://v6mgb.com/forum/index.php?sid=2bdfec16d993f1c01cd95be4007c64e2

Guest Anonymous
ncrosno, what exactly are you looking for? I cant really see spending $1000 or more for an engine swap if you are worried enough about $ to be focusing on mileage. Are you looking for just anything that can put out about 200HP and still get mileage, or are you looking for something that will be more exotic and have a big WOW factor?

No, I'm not looking for WOW, and it really isn't *so* much the cost of gas -- it's more trying to be a good conservation minded citizen and prove to myself that you can have a fun and fast (old) car that's not a gas hog. I'm considering this an experiment on maximizing efficiency whout sacrificing fun (without spending too much $$ -- I certianly don't have enough cash or experience to try and build my own gas/electric hybrid). I am also considering an LPG conversion. I have already cut out the spare tire well and welded it flat with some extra bracing underneath. I'd even consider CNG, but from what I understand it takes more engine modifications and also requires some pretty scary PSI in the tank and lines. I'm hoping to keep it under $2K for a complete working engine and trans, but we'll see how that goes. Let me know if you have any more ideas.

Guest 1975yellowBSPZ

I know this might be outside the spirit of the forum, but would any of these engine choices, with the mods to get 200 hp to the rear wheels really be better then running a well tuned fuel injected L28 3.1 stroker? 200hp would not be an issue and there would be no fabrication. This would save you huge headaches in wiring/mounts aligning the drivertrain etc... fuel consumption would still be reasonable if properly balenced and you keep your foot out of it during your daily driving -

just my 2 cents

BW

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

:twisted: I have an old propane "carburator" that was pulled off of my 455, how about that on a 4bbl intake bolted to an L6. :lol:

edit: Hey wait, that's not a bad idea... :roll:

Any engine can get the mileage if you build it and drive it right. Any small displacement high-winding engine is likely to let you down by not having the punch off of the line. The L6 is about the only small displacement engine that I really like.

I would start by narrowing down your engine search a little. Do you have any preference in engine design? Would you prefer an inline 4, inline 6, V6, V8? N/A or forced? Do you want off-the-line punch, or do you want something that you have to buzz to make the power?

Guest Anonymous
I have an old propane "carburator" that was pulled off of my 455, how about that on a 4bbl intake bolted to an L6.

Yeah, that might be pretty cool. When did you say you were going to ditch your L28? :wink:

Guest Anonymous
I would start by narrowing down your engine search a little.

Yes, I'm having problems doing just that. I can rule out the V8 -- It would be overkill and I'm hoping to shed pounds rather than gain. As for a 4 or L6 or V6, NA or Turbo -- I could really go any way. I'm getting use to winding up in the WRX. Too many options! :bonk:

Guest Anonymous

I've had several emails going back and forth with KRP -- very helpful and informative. It looks like a lot can be done with those Duratec 2.3 engines, however, by the time I got one built up with EFI and the works it would be more than I'd want to spend. It looks like it would be about $3K by the time you get the engine, EFI, ECU, and various other parts to get a complete engine. To get a complete factory crate engine would be more expensive and would be putting out about 160hp -- I'm pretty sure I can do better for less.

The more I think about it, the more I want to leave my options open for LPG conversion, but I don't think I'm ready for it yet. This thought is leaning me toward the SR20DET because LPG likes turbos....you pretty much get rid of any performance losses and it actually likes the heat of the turbo to help counteract the cooling effect of going from liquid to gas. I did a little searching and found kits that would work to convert this engine to lpg -- most were UK or AU sites, but I'm sure we'd work it out when the time comes. My biggest worry with the SR would be getting stuck with a worn out lemon and ending up needing a rebuild right away.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2.3L that is in older FOX body mustangs, t-birds, and rangers can easily make 200 hp. Check out RacerWalsh.com and Esslinger.com both have lots of parts for the 2.3L ford. This also came in turbo form in the SVO's and TurboCoupe T-birds, with this set up you are looking at 300 easy hp (190hp STOCK). These came with T-5's already mounted up. All you would have to fabricate is the mounting points for the engine and trans. This is the power plant I am looking at using. There are a million of them and since the MiniStock racers use them there are lots of HP parts that aren't too expensive.

-------------------------

Bill

74 260

What about the Buick 4.1l V-6? You should be able to find one in a slavage yard for a decent price. There are a good bit of performance parts available, also not real expensive. And I think they are easy to work on.

I believe this is the engine the NASCAR Busch series ran for a number of years.

Guest drahgonking

please do not be offended i have a 200,000 mile 5.0(302) ford it still gets 28 miles to the gallon in a thirty five hundred pound 1987 cougar the 302 is 450lbs rebuild one and use the computer and fuel injection you could get 300hp and 30 miles per gallon in a zcar using the four speed automatic or hook up a five speed stick you can find these engines in 87 to94 mustangs with a stick or auto cheap get the computer and wiring if a stick use a juice clutch hope i was of some help

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dan0myte

There are two keywords you have to look at in his topic title: "Lightweight" and "200hp"

Now I'm not sure what his definition of lighter is, like lighter than a big block v8? Lighter than a iron block v6? What's exactly light to you? In terms of 4 cylinders, the 2.3 Ford is definitely not a light block. Neither is the SR20, even though it's all aluminum, it's very thick aluminum and weighs more than it's cast iron predecssors.

Assuming he wants the lightest possible engine to achieve 200hp, there's no other option than the Toyota 4AGE. It's unbeliveably compact and one of the lightest performance 4 cylinders ever made. Being 1.6 litres and having a short stroke allows it to rev to 7500 stock and is capable of thousands higher. Plus, gas mileage would be top notch with this efficient little engine.

With the right coaxing, it probably maxes out at around 175hp naturally aspirated. To achieve that 200hp mark, either a small turbo system, a 4AGZE with boost increases, or a small shot of nitrous would be required. 200hp is probably as far as you want to go with the 4AGE though to keep it reliable. It's able to go higher, but then things start getting very expensive when parts start breaking.

I'm sure you can find any 4AGE in a junkyard for $50, $100 with the tranny attached. They're a dime a dozen with those older Corolla's.

All in all, it would be cheap, effective in meeting your hp goal and staying as light as possible.

get a mustang ho motor it has like 220 horsepower and it weighs like 50 pounds less than the datsun l6 put aluminum heads cam headers intake good carb or fuel injection a T5 manula overdrive you will have about 350 to 400 with about 30mpg and be very very very fast. i would personaly put a 302HO put a cam good intake and exhoust cam stock heads valves and everythings else and get like 330 horsepower and 30-35mpg with a overdrive

This is a great thread.

Z-rific, do you have an idea of how much the 4.1 weighs? Are they iron or aluminum head engines? I've seen a lot of these in junkyards, as in they are abundant, not that they were the reason they're there. (their squared). Thanks. DAW