HybridZ

Extrude honing a stock exhaust manifold

rags

Yes, I ported my manifold that one my car now. Cost really depends on what tools you may already have if your going to do it yourself. If you already have a compressor then you will need a Die Grinder and some Carbide porting tools. That should run you in the area of 100.00 or less depending on where you purchase everything. If you don't have a compressor then you can buy a electric die grinder at Sears for 100.00 bucks. Then ofcourse you'll need the cutting tools. I higely recommend some ear plugs and at the very least some goggles or safety glasses. A face sheild wouldn't be a bad idea here. It take awhile to do but the efforts and the money are well worth it.

By the way the electric die grinder is easier to use in my experience. It's heavier (doesn't bounce around as much)and has more power than the air powered units. Of course I only have a 30 gallon oil less compressor so that may have something to so with my disliking of the air powered units.

Heres one pics that I found of how much can be taken out.

12797257lg.jpg

As you can see the top manifold has a much smoother path for the exhaust gases to flow in to the turbine housing. Also in each runner you can take out the humps of extra metal in the top of the runner. You don't have to go crazy removing metal to make a better flowing product. By the way that pile of stuff in the background is metal that was removed.

I think rags was asking if you had your manifold extrude honed' date=' Cody. Extrude honing won't remove huge amounts of metal. You need to port the manifold with a die grinder, then extrude hone if you want the super polished effect.

Jon[/quote']

I just reread the post and see what he was saying and that I wasn't clear in what I said. Ah, It all makes sense now.

I guess the answer I was trying to communicate was that No I don't have an Extrude Honed manifold but, I do have a hand ported one and that can be done for much less than the Extrude Hone process. I wish we had a hand ported and an Extrude Honed manifold to compare the two in how well they flow.

Yes, unfortunatley I did so several other mods at the same time so I really couldn't tell you exactley what effect it had on total power or spool up. I will tell you this though I had almost 1/4" smaller opening than what my T3 turbine housing is. Needless to say that it was not able to flow as much as it would have before I did the porting. If you ever had a stock manifold off and in your hands you can feel that in some places there is almost an inch of metal. The area around the exhaust exit is especially thick. I should have taken more before pictures.