HybridZ

How About an LS1 With a T56 Transaxle!!!?

I was pipe dreaming these last couple of days about the possibility of building a 240z with an LS1 motor in the engine bay and a Corvette T56 transaxle in the rear. I don't know much about Z cars. What are the prospects of hanging a transaxle in place of the R differential? Surely some sheetmetal would have to be moved and mounting points would have to be fabbed. What about the weight distribution? How close to the magic 50-50 ratio? The C5 vettes run this configuration as do the Porsche 928 and 944.

Matt

I think the with the engine in the setback position and the transaxle in the rear the car wqould actually be tail heavy. The Z with an LS1 and Camaro six speed should be around 50/50 if not a little heavier on the rear. If drag racing is the goal then rear heavy would be advantagous but for autocross I believe 50/50 is preferred. With my LT1 in the setback position and everything uneeded removed from the front and the battery moved to the rear I am hoping for near 50/50 weight distribution. I like the idea of the rear transaxle for drag racing and the components would sure be strong but there would be alot of fabrication involved. It would be unique as opposed to my LT1 swap that seems boring compared to many on this sight.

At the kit car show today in San Leandro there was an in-process GTO replica that is using a C5 drive train and suspension. The car had to be significantly widened to accomodate that bad boy transaxel. It's a big pig and would likely offer no advantage in a V8 Z over a conventional configuration.

Wow factor only goes so far. :?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
Thanks Tim. I've always wanted to see one. Any chance of pics of how the driveshaft tube is attached to the engine?

Looks like it connects up like a bellhousing (second pic above)

I was going to ask just exactly what that is a picture of when I read the web address of the image (I knew it was a C5, just not what it was for :) ). It appears to be the running gear from a C5 Corvette destined for use under a 1968 Camaro body!

Does the hybrid chevy-z have the motor set back more in relation to the front axle than what we seen in this example?

Thanks this picture is exactly what was needed to illustrate the concept!

Matt

A picture is worth a thousand words:

i-1_B.jpg

That's two thousand words worth! :D

Tim

I looked at your website: that's one sharp looking Z!

Matt

FWIW - My '77 280Z, with a Camaro LS1 and T56 is 1,400 lbs. on the nose and 1,430 lbs on the tail. Using a transaxle will even more rear bias the wieght - besides adding a whole lot of work to end up with a less balaced vehicle.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've had the car 12 years now. The paint job is 6 years old. I figure I'll have to do it again in another two years as its starting to get a little beat up.

Car is in the shop again but it's "supposed" to be back out this week. Transmission and exhaust work primarily. I'm really looking forward to going 'hunting' again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Blazer406
FWIW - My '77 280Z, with a Camaro LS1 and T56 is 1,400 lbs. on the nose and 1,430 lbs on the tail. Using a transaxle will even more rear bias the wieght - besides adding a whole lot of work to end up with a less balaced vehicle.

How much weight difference is there from your 280 to the '70-'73 240's?

In totally stock original form the 240Z is close to 400lbs lighter than an equivalent 280Z. Additional structure in the body, the slightly larger engine, the crash bumpers, and components related to fuel injection were responsible for the weight gain.

Guest Blazer406

I am tickled on the 400# weight diff. I have a '73 240Z and am fixing to start a SBC V-8 conversion. I plan on a aluminum headed SBC with aluminum intake and headers and a 700R4 tranny and a transplanted R200 from a '76 280Z automatic car. What do you think the weight will be if I don't gut or do anything drastic to cut the weight.....? I was hoping for 2400-2500# w/o driver.

Guest autocroos76

I read an article in a magazine where they tried to use the T56 transaxle. The problem they had is that the torque tube is made of a composite that is nearly imposible to cut. So unless you are going to discard the torque tube you won't be able to use the t56 transaxle. Good luck with your project whichever way you go.

If you pretty much leave the car stock i would expect it to gain 120-150lbs over original weight. You may decide, as most others have, that the unibody needs a little help and add in some bracing/structural reinforcement which would add some more weight.