HybridZ

1980 Datsun 280ZX LT1 Vs. 1987 Yamaha Fazer 700--Results In!

80LS1T

So my buddy just bought a 1987 Yamah Fazer 700. Its kinda like a sports bike/1st gen crotch rocket I guess? More of a sports bike though.

Anyways in say a 1.5-2 mile straight away race who do you think would win? The 400HP+ LT1 280ZX or the 700cc Fazer? Im not sure how much HP that Fazer has but Im sure its under 100HP or right at 100HP. Im thinking he will get me off the start but I think I can catch him with in 2 miles. He claims that it can do about 140mph?

What do you guess think?

Guy :D

Mmmm, would have to know your top speed as well. He'll definitely get the jump on you but I've never ridden a fazer... the late 80's sport bikes don't have anything on the new ones. Todays 600cc bikes will roast the old liter ones. If he's not used to riding (or riding that) then you've got him I'd say.

omg you will beat it pretty good.. there not faster then new SV's and you will smoke a SV, well from a roll, but from a stop he will have you in the 1/4 and then you will pull him in, so i think you can take it :)..

mike

omg you will beat it pretty good.. there not faster then new SV's and you will smoke a SV' date=' well from a roll, but from a stop he will have you in the 1/4 and then you will pull him in, so i think you can take it :)..

mike[/quote']

I take it you've never ridden a bike?

yes i have... a SV will beat that old 700 in the 1/4.. the 700 maybe have more top speed.. from a roll the SV will loose to the old 700 but i still say that his Z will beat it.

I think it could be a close race but if he can go 140 there in lies the problem. I Have run my Z to 135 and was not too comfortable at that speed even with suspension mods and zr rated tires.

It gets dicey at those speeds..run the 1/4 against him :D

Mike

Are you sure about the 400 + HP ??? You only have the 2.5 exhaust .

Good luck on the race

Yeah I am pretty sure about the 400HP(@ the flywheel). It should be close to 400HP. I know I have the slight restriction with my 2.5 exhaust at the last 1/4 of it but I dont "think"(maybe it will?) it will make a huge(like 50HP) difference. It doesnt seem to be bogging down at high RPMS or anything?

Guy

I think it could be a close race but if he can go 140 there in lies the problem. I Have run my Z to 135 and was not too comfortable at that speed even with suspension mods and zr rated tires.

It gets dicey at those speeds..run the 1/4 against him :D

Mike

I don't think that Yamaha will be able to hit 140. If I recall correctly the Kawasaki GPZ 900 Ninja, one of the fastest bikes during that era, had a top speed of around 145. At the most he'll reach about 135. Have someone record that event on video!

• 11 months later...

Well unless it rains tomorrow, I will be racing my buddies Fazer finally. Hes on his 2 weeks leave from IRAQ and he wants to race! Now that my car is running right and I have the running concerns worked out I am actually ready to race. I will set up a video camera so I can show ya how close it is.

He's talking a lot of $hit thats all I know. I dont think I will beat him but I do think it will be closer than he thinks. He thinks its going to be over in about 50 yards. We will see. Hes only been riding a bike for a less than a year, maybe 3 months out of the last year. So hes not exactly a skilled driver so maybe that will help!

Wish me luck! :D

Guy

Ummmm. Is it just me or does this sound like a serious accident waiting to happen? If he's hell bent on racing, maybe just let him win? Guys on leave do really stupid things sometimes, trying to blow off steam from 6 months or more of deployment in two weeks time or less. Just walking down a sidewalk can be dangerous for these guys. I don't have any specific stats on this, but I know from experience that us military guys are much more likely to hurt ourselves on leave than at almost any other time. Personally I'd just let him stay ahead, follow at a safe distance. You'll know if you could beat him or not by how much effort it takes to keep up with him, just my $.2 worth. Play safe,

Mike

I'm familiar with those bikes. Fazers are very light and have a sophisticated 5-valve motor, more hp than other 700's of the day and competitive against 600's made 10 years later. They are a popular choice to build a drag bike (just add an FZR1000 motor). In any case, you may get lucky if it's badly tuned, otherwise he'll probably walk you. The race will really be over in 1/3 mile (the time it takes for a fazer to reach top speed of 135), from there it is a matter of playing catchup. Are you prepared to hold your Z at 140-150 to do this?

Sounds dangerous for both of you, get a 100 shot of nitrous and then you'll have a race. :D

Ok first of all....I dont really approve of street racing either. However, I live in the middle of no where. The road we raced on was a back road that was just paved last year. Both side of the road are open farm fields. We never once saw a car. Trust me we were as safe as we could be.

Now here's how it went down...

We both decided that the race was going to be some where around a 1/3 to a 1/2 mile(we just picked a starting point and an abandond house that was on the left side of the road as the finish line). So after I did a short burn out to warm up the tires we line up. Now I was the one saying 1-2-3 and on 3 we would go. So I say 1-2-3 and we both start out pretty good. I could have let the clutch slip a little less but none the less, I still had a pretty good launch. So we get up to about 30mph and we are still even......then as we got up to 40mph he pulled on me a little but my front bumper was still even with his rear tire and I started to catch him. All the way up to about 110mph we were even.......then he shifted into 5th and I took 4th to about 5800RPMs and hit 5th and thats when I started to pass him! I pulled about 1/2 a car length on him and I was still going but it was pointless cause he wasnt going to catch me! We got up to about 125mph-130mph then the race was over. So we slow down and stop at the intersection thats about a mile down the road and he pulls up next to me......and you should have seen the look on his face :shock: / :eek2: !!! It was deffinetly a priceless moment! He's like "holy shit man that thing is faster than I thought......jesus....I still cant believe you beat me!.......no way...less race again!"

So we lined up again and basically the same thing happen again! :twisted: We lined up for a 3rd time and he beat me then but thats because I totally bogged it off the line, I mean I must of pulled like a 2.5 60'. I didnt even try after that cause I knew it was over.

Fazer.......1

80LT1......2 :D

Lets just say he's got A LOT more respect for my car now. I mean he already thought it was cool but now I think hes just in shock! :twisted::D

He wants to race again on thursay so we can video tape it so he can show his army buddies. So I will post that when I get it loaded on to my site.

Oh and now he wants to go to the track with it too. So I will have a racing buddy next summer! Now I wont have to drag my girlfriend down there. She doesnt mind going but she doesnt love it either.

Guy