HybridZ

Best Coilover Choice

Guest thinkmonkey

j260z

yes i have ground control c/o five way adjustable tokicos sp sturts all on 240z suspension (my z is 280 with 240 suspension). ok on that picture where your light blue top is sitting on top of the spring i have same thing but mine looks more like a hat then i belive that i have bearing sitting right on top of it but no washers at all i am 75% sure i will know in about two days so u belive that those washers would make that much difference? also i am going to order bump stops can u just tell me where do they exactlly go (u can use that pic as refference) and yes everything you said makes perfect sense. just one more thing whic part is "strut isolator" exactlly? now i am one more step closer do comfortable ride (somewhat that is lol).

Thanks

Ivan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote="gramercyjam"

Nice setup Alan. Do those Bilsteins screw on to the uprights?

--John B

That's a complete custom-made tube welded onto the original stub axle casting. It has a thread cut into it which the adjustable lower spring perch sits on.

The gas damper unit feeds down into it, and the thin threaded rod screws into a threaded hole at the bottom of the tube. Its lock-nutted from underneath the tube.

The thicker upper tube ( which contains the gas charge and the valving ) moves up and down in the new tube, and the thin rod stays still. Essentially, the inner unit is inverted in comparison to a 'normal' layout.

The upper insulator is aluminium with a uniball inside it.

Its not 'off-the-shelf' stuff - its all custom-fabbed.

Pictures explain better than I can, so you can see an 'exploded' view of one of the fronts here:

http://alansphotos.fotopic.net/photo.php?id=1239113

http://alansphotos.fotopic.net/photo.php?id=1239114

http://alansphotos.fotopic.net/photo.php?id=1239115

http://alansphotos.fotopic.net/photo.php?id=1239116

http://alansphotos.fotopic.net/photo.php?id=1239117

Alan T.

ivan,

yes the washers do make a difference because the washer and bearing sit on a lip on the shock which stops them from sliding up and down, whereas the upper spring perch can slide up and down the shaft.

here is a picture of a strut with a bump stop installed

album_pic.php?pic_id=1768

the bump stop is the red polyurethane piece on top of the gland nut.

here is a picture of my strut with the isolator on over the bearing and washers

album_pic.php?pic_id=1711

hope this helps.

ivan' date='

yes the washers do make a difference because the washer and bearing sit on a lip on the shock which stops them from sliding up and down, whereas the upper spring perch can slide up and down the shaft. [/quote']

I found this out also when I did mine. I only have 160lb. in the front and 200lb. in the back, so I was able to push down on the isolator of the finished assembly (while it was off the Z) and easily tell if I needed more washers or not.

About the bump stop, I figured that resting it on the gland not would not work to well, because it will have the shaft moving inside of it over each bump (mine were a loose fit for my Tokico Illumina's). What I did is put two small screws into the bumpstops through the hats (there was two small holes in the hat anyways), so they are attatched to the hat. The screws only went into the bumpstops about 3/16", so there is no danger at full compression the screws would hit the gland nut. After many miles of driving, they are still in place.

!M!

John how much can EMI racing get the double adjustable Penske's for?

A lot. My guess would be about $1,200 per corner including the remote resiviors, Hyperco springs, etc. ($4,800 for the whole car). This is a race only application and not a street setup like the Spirit stuff pictured above.

Erik would be able to give you a more precise quote at the number listed above.

Well I will have to pass on the penskes, not because of the price, but because they are race only... yeah that's it. :D

So what about the spirit coilovers. Anyone know around how much they go for? Or anyone know Japanese that could email them? They look really nice, are they inverted like the bilsteins on the first page? If they are under $2000 I'll probably get them.

John,

I would slide the bumpstop onto the strut shaft and they would slide all the way down to the gland nut, so I attatched it to the hat. That way it won't bounce around on the shaft whenever you hit a bump. The bumpstop wasn't really impeeding shock shaft travel sitting on the gland nut.

!M!

so couldnt you have the same effect by connecting your bump stop to the gland nut? anything that would just hold it in place... the up top plan does sound good but say your bump stop was to be inset into your gland thingy, then if it was at the top and you bottomed out what if it didnt go together right and WHAM your bump stop gets busted... not sure this is possible but just throwing out concerns that i could imagine up :P

-Zach

modern motorsports coilovers 8" 250/250

Hayashi CR 15x8.5 -8 15x9 -13

4x4 4 piston front

S13 rear

tubular arms everywhere

i think i went a little overboard....

MM is good.

If i lived in japan....Spirit Garage for sure.