HybridZ

Best Coilover Choice

Guest thinkmonkey

Guest thinkmonkey

Would most people consider the Modern Motorsport Coilovers the 'best choice?' From everything I have read and seen, they're a good value for the money and well supported. Anyone disagree?

-David

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cut off the oem perches, but used the base of them for the threaded sleeves.

The car is sitting a little high, but is not complete yet, so I will wait until it's on the road before I decide whether I want to grind them off completely and weld something down a few inches. Right now, I'm at the bottom of the sleeve with the adjusting nut, so likely I will have to anyway.

Tim

I have question for you guys that are already running c/overs on your z's. i have ground control on my z and and every time i hit anything on the road (even slightest bump) it feels like i am driving with no sturts at all (i have tokicos sp on) you just hear like loud bump noise. what i am wondering is what should i have kept from stock assemblly like one of those big fat rubber pieces that goes between top of the strut and car body (isnt that called bump stop?) because i belive that friend of mine told me that i dont need that part and i dont remember putting it on since its been about year and half but i have driven car only 1500miles since then. any thoughts?

Thanks

Ivan

Here's another choice that looks pretty trick - I'd like to have these bilsteins. I forgot where I saw these ....

album_pic.php?pic_id=1813

Here are a few more links to whet your appetitie:

Another choice is Carrera. They have some trick stuff too. Wouldn't refuse their stuff http://www.carrerashocks.com/MagneShock%20Gen2.htm They have a bunch of Z suspension stuff.

Penske - Oh yea http://www.penskeshocks.com

Ground Control/Eibach spring catalog http://www.ground-control.com/gcers250.htm Don't coilover without it. They have coilovers and camber plates too.

You can probably find Tien for a Z too http://www.tein.com/products.html

Of course you could always just buy sleeves and seats and hats and springs ala carte from a stock car parts house and end up with the same thing. The choices are almost endless if you have deep pockets.

--John B

i have modern motorsports 8in coilovers.. and im very happy with them... i havent used the car yet with tjem on but the quialty was top notch and installing them wasnt bad.

i removed the OEM perech all together and welded on the part that came with the kit.

mike

Those Bilsteins are mine.

For anyone that does not know why they look so thick at the top - its because they are 'upside down'. The thin rod is inside the tube of the leg, and the bump-stop is at the very bottom. This is very much like you see on high performance motorcycles.

Advantages? Well, the thicker and more stable the moving parts the better, amongst other things.

Disadvantages? The price.

Alan T.

Ivan,

i don't think not having bump stops is your problem but you should still have them. you say that even going over the smallest bump will produce the metal on metal sound? and you have coilovers? what shocks do you have? i think your problem is you missed, or didn't think you needed, putting something back on when you assembled your struts after installing your coilovers. if you have the same upper spring perch as the one in this picture then...

album_pic.php?pic_id=1710

you need to have at least 2 if not 3 washers under the strut bearing (for the fronts and rubber bushing for the rears). if you do not have enough washers you will not notice anything wrong when assembling the strut but what happens is, the strut isolator ends up resting on the upper spring perch instead of the bearing and washers allowing them to bounce around inside the isolator. this makes the bearing useless and gives you those noises that you can't pinpoint. does this make sense?

also check out this thread http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=1710

I run the Ground Control Coil Overs. If you run with their camber plates also the install fits up well. Otherwise you will end up fabricating a mount for the 3 stud towers.

I don't think the brand of coil over matters much. Just the fact that you switch to the 2-1/2" springs and can adjust them is the only thing that makes a difference. BEWARE of your ride height. If you lower the car much, shortened struts are a must. Bottoming is a quick way to destroy a set of struts.