HybridZ

FIRST RACE IN OKINAWA

Corzette

OK, I cant believe it but I was challenged twice while going to the auto hobby shop to install my roll cage. I put the temp tags on the ole corzette (considered an import because of the V8 thing) and proceed south to Camp Foster to install my rollcage at the auto hobby shop, when I hear a high revving WHOOOSH beside me. I am stopped at the red light and this Japanese guy and his soda drinking girlfriend (smiling) looks over and gives me the thumbs up and motions to me to race with thier hands. I rev my engine and the driver seem a little surprised as I am sure he never has heard the sound of perfection before. Just before the light tuns green A skyline GTR pulls up behind me and then a Hachi Roku and a turgboed Aristo (Lexus), dont know if it was built or not but sure was ricey. Anyway it seemed like they were a clan or something, you know like Boso Zoku or something. Anyway just before the light turned green the guy in the Soarer started revving the piss out out his engine in preparation. When the light tuned green I went for it....The car shot out like a champ, I got the notorious head snapping action and WHOOOSH I was gone!!!! I looked in my rear view and I saw the skyline GTR behind me about 100 feet. I stopped at the next light and the GTR pulls beside me. The soarer must have pulled off because I couldnt see him. The others were behind me. The GTR had tinted windows and then rolls down his window and motions to go on the light. There was light traffic where we were (near Kuwae if your familiar with Okinawa). He starts revving his twin turboed RB26 and when the light turned green we both nailed it. Well at first I thought the ole V8 import was in trouble :cry: because he got me off the line by about a 1/2 car length (damn 4 wheel drive), BUT when I hit second I immediately pulled a car and a half on him and then I hit third and I was gone, maybe 15 car lengths.... :idea: I was so excited I about peed my pants. I ran out of road soon and I was going over 100MPH (not a good thing on highway 58 ooops....The next light all the cars pull up and ask me to go to A&W. I go and park and all the Japanese guys want to see my engine. They were cool and in awe and one asks me "What kind of Turbo is that (pointing to my Holley 750 Double Pumper). I almost laughed but told him it was a carbeurator not a turbo. We talked for about an hour and they were cool about it. Oh I speak Japanese by the way. I am sure the GTR wasnt built to the max but it was fast off the line. Gotta love good ole American non turboed muscle though! For now I am 2 and 0 for racing here on the rock. The guys girlfriend was really smiling at me... :wink::D

.., this Japanese guy and his soda drinking girlfriend (smiling).., you know like Boso Zoku or something.

I just love the way American's express themselves :D

One needs to buy an engine....American Xpress is there.

One needs to buy a Z, paint it, and shoehorn your engine in it....American Xpress is there.

Blipping the throttle of an American Rice Killing V8 in that Z & blowing those rice burners away....PRICELESS!

Wish you could have captured the look on their face when they first heard the beast roar. Must've been something similar to the deer in the headlights or a dog when it tilts their head as if they are trying to understand something they obviously dont understand.

Good story. Looking forward to another Texian coming home safely: oh yea-dont forget to bring your car. :wink:

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

CorZette - No strictly V-8 Z clubs in Texas but there are several Z clubs and there are members in each of them that drive V-8 powered Z's. There also is an annual Z-car meet in Texas. In the past it has been in San Antonio in October. May have one in the DFW area next year as there are two clubs up here. The Z Club of Texas (Dallas) used to have an annual "Fastest Z Shootout" but I haven't heard about it for a few years. Might be time to resuurect it because we have some seriously fas Z's around now and the NHRA has changed its rules about IRS that makes it better for the Z.