HybridZ

Tripple Webers on 280z? Crazy?

Nismo280zEd

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intake valve seat for #4. Hot spot between 4 and 5 caused the seat to crack and then fall into the combustion chamber. I found most of it in the intake manifold when I tore the engine down. Coolant temps never got over 210 degrees but Jim said there was lots of evidence of localized boiling in the head. The head wasn't warped but the pistons in 3, 4, and 5 were ovalized due to excessive heat (detonation) even with 112 octane Sunoco.

We're going to try some external coolant lines and a 25 psi radiator cap to see if that soves the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean which carburation to use?.. or what jetting to use? or both...

If yes, then there is no solid answer.. YOUR specific engine details (specs) gear ratios, car use (street, strip, track,) hot climate, cold, or various?...your driving style is key to...do want low end grunt? top end? mid range?.. do you like to mash the throttle?...do you shift smooth? (ie know how to drive your car to get max performance?....ie smooth fast corners, or do you need to make up on the straights for slow corner speeds?) type of fuel, etc etc..

lots of variables...even more than I mention...

That doesn't mean its impossible, but there is no "silver bullet" "best" setup..

Well maybe i'm trying to ask my question the wrong way... a comment was made... Most people tune there cars so it's OK and when they get to drive a PROPERLY tuned car the difference is night and day. Maybe i should be asking of your definition of properly tuned, to me properly tuned is when the engine consumes fuel the most efficiently producing the most hp and smoothest curves.

(i'm only talking about engine tuning here)

• 1 year later...
Guest Ricter

They still don't, this thread is almost 2 years old!

I was actually reading this thread and getting interested in getting triple webbers for my 280z, not good that 2 years later you're still having issues. With my lack of carb knowledge, I'd never have mine running right.

Well if money isn't much of an issue it wouldn't be a problem.. I'm a college student with a tight budget. I can't go blow 450 for a new mallory dizzy, or drop 200 on a dime for weber jets, things like that have kept me from getting them running properly. However, changing my idle jets yesterday did help, but now it idles very.. umm... uniquely.

-ed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DoTheDrew888

Im not trying to steal your thread but I was wondering something. What are all the necessary steps in converting from FI to carbs? Could you give me a list of all the things I will need to buy. What do you do with the electric fuel pump? If you wouldn't mind I would appreciate a step by step "How To" post so that I will know what im getting myself into. It would be very helpful coming from a guy with experience. Thanks a lot.

Guest egmar

I have had a 240Z race car for 6 months and beat the local hero in his 911 until the last race where he put a new engine. his engine is based on a 964 3.6 liter motor (most likely 3.8 pistons), mine is 3.1 built by dave rebello and make 338 hp and 290 torque. car weighs 2059 pounds. I order to get back into the game I need a little bit of help on the horsepower/weight ratio.

I am looking for lightweight body panels and possibly a race engine built from a 350Z motor. any leads are greatly appreciated.

egmar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I owned a 72 240z with triple DCOE40s utilizing the stock 240z fuel pump, an unheard of for street 300/.500" cam with stock pistons, stock valves but with racing valve springs, MSA's 6-1 header and twice pipes.

I'll have to agree with comments about being a excellent tuner.

Webers are more finicky than Mikunis!

I had a Ferrari mechanic tune my Webers and rest assured I got the most I could get out of my 2.4l without doing any thing else. No idling problems and no balking.

I pay homeage to John C. and J. Mortensen, these guys have a lot of consistent sound advice, but sometimes things just works against the grain.

The only problem I had was high HC readings during inspection, which posed as a bit of an obstacle.:flamedevi

Let's see what happens the second time around from my 20yr. hiatus as I plan on running the same setup utilizing a 2.8, modified E88 head, a better fuel pump, and a 2.5/Borla XR-1 :burnout:

hmmm, now i have to ask. reccomendations for a 3.1 street ported/light race p79, msa 3-2 header, msd ignition, holley red pump and regulator, 5 spd tranny, 3.90 gear.

i was plannin on going with 45's eventually. i fully understand the concept of webers, in how they work, similar to a efi standalone system. more or less a UTEC for a subaru.

willin to help a n00b out?