HybridZ

700r4 vs 2004r

georgiaz

OK, the Z is parked until we can afford an overdrive transmission. The used torque converter is coming apart and reaking havoc with the valve body in the th350. Lesson learned. The 700r4 seems to be the most common OD transmission among hot rodders. What is the difference between it and the 2004r? Someone told me the 200 came in the six cylinder cars and is not quite as strong as the 700. Right now my intent is to go with the 700 which I can do for around $1200 with a 2000 stall converter.

Guest Rick Johnson

I have the 700R4. I used to wish I had the 200R until I put on Street Slicks and went to the track. The slicks allow full advantage of the 3.54 diff and the 3.06 first gear. My car launches with faster cars and is a blast. 60 foot times are about 1.68. I over rev a few RPM in 1st and second pulls flawlessly.

Guest Rick Johnson

My 700R4 trans has extra disk sets in each pack including a 9 disk 3rd gear pack (stk was 5). I used the larger band and 2nd gear servo. A bigger boost valve raised the pressures.

I left the accumulators in place to minimize shift shock and potential broken parts. I tuned many of the orifices over several tries.

The converter is a loosened up stock 12" converter which stalls at about 2250 RPM. In a perfect world my setup might be about optimum with about a 2500 RPM 10" converter and lock up clutch. I don't know if 10" converters come with such a low stall, but that would be my compromise between street and strip. With the 3.06 1st gear, I don't think I need a 3000 stall - but I never tried it.

• 3 weeks later...

i have use 2 700r4 trans on a camaro/454, it did not last, but the 200r4 did. a friend of mine have a 700r4 on a suburban, he have the 700r4 rebuilt for a few time already.

my $0.01 opinion, the 200r4 last longer than the 700r4.

OK, the Z is parked until we can afford an overdrive transmission. The used torque converter is coming apart and reaking havoc with the valve body in the th350. Lesson learned. The 700r4 seems to be the most common OD transmission among hot rodders. What is the difference between it and the 2004r? Someone told me the 200 came in the six cylinder cars and is not quite as strong as the 700. Right now my intent is to go with the 700 which I can do for around $1200 with a 2000 stall converter.

3/4 ton GMs (pickups with 8500# GVW at least meaning 8 lug and not 6 lug equipped) use the 4L80E which IS a lot stronger than the 700r4. It also has a 2.48 first gear if memory serves. THe later 1/2 ton trucks use the electronic 4L60E and the new ones use a 4L65 in 1/2 tons with the 4L80E still in 3/4 and one tons. Nobody who runs 9's runs a 700R4, but lots of 9 second Grand Nationals run the 200 4R. Not quite as critical in a Z, but in a heavy car like my Impala SS, the 700 are just eaten alive. Most of the fast Imps are either TH400 or T56 equipped.

If you are going to spend $1000 plus on an OD trans, the 200 has a MUCH more pleasant driving characteristics IMO as well as durability.