HybridZ

Ceramic brake pads, what's the deal?

I was at the auto parts store and the guy behind the counter was trying to sell some ceramic brake pads to a customer with a new Chevy truck. He was saying the ceramic was in the pad lining itself.

I've heard of a ceramic insulator between the back of the pad and the lining to limit heat transfer, but never ceramic in the lining itself.

Is this some new thing? Was the parts guy wrong?

Jon

The ceramic brake pads are marketed for low noise (less prone to vibration) and very low dust. they are not meant to provide better braking or increase fade resistance. I believe the braking performance is similar to good quality standard street pads. I have them on the family car and they are quite nice for that purpose as well as Sleeper's wagon, but certainly not for my Z :wink:

I also spoke with one of the chief technicians at precision brakes (they deal with professional race and high performance brake applications). He said that the ceramic pads (wilwood) were not as good in terms of braking performance than the other high performance street pads and recommended against them for a "street rod" type of use and said that they would definitely not be suited for even mild track use. He confirmed that they are quiet, very low dust and otherwise good for NON highly aggresive driving.

Guest cowboy6280

I had dust/squeal problems like you wouldnt believe on my '97 Z28, and went thru the pads pretty fast. I switched over to the ceramic pads and virtually no brake dust, and no squealing now. They do fad a bit when they are hot, but overall they are way better than the other pads, and seem to be lasting much longer.

Hmm, now that you mention that they last forever, I did see a sign outside a parts store the other day "Ask us about our new 100,000 mile brake pads."

The consensus is that these are not performance pads. Guess I'll stick to my Porterfields. Really I was just curious as to what they were. I'm not in the automotive loop anymore, and the idea of ceramic pad lining sounded interesting.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jon

Are yall suggesting that the family wagon doesn't get driven hard? I've faded the brakes in our minivan more often than our sports cars.

Carbon metallic seems to be working well for me. they need a little warming up but stop very well. lots of dust though. I get the performance friction pads over the counter from autozone.

Perry

I would strongly suggest that one should avoid the temptation and not drive the 'family" car hard :x .

I can't say that I would ever push my minivan hard enough with my kids wife or anyone else in it fade the brakes, way to irresponsible (unless you are joking and I missed the sarcasm).

I have the Z to prove my skills and have fun with :twisted: .Everything has it's place.

I've found it is much more enjoyable if one gives in to temptation on occasion... I had a LOT of fun at Thunder Hill in our 72 Chrysler T&C.

It wasn't the slowest car there, and I was told it was the only car in the group with sound effects.

To stay somewhat on topic, I did run out of brakes in the afternoon when we were allowed to run the full course.

That back half eats brakes like you wouldn't believe.

Run what'cha got when you get the chance- :cheers:

I have never used ceramic pads, but the logic in my head says that they would be very hard on rotors. Ceramic is harder than steel (that is why it is used to sharpen knives) and it seems to me that they would simply grind away the rotor surface.

Side note, I have faded the brakes on my truck and the wife's pathfinder a number of times on the mountain roads near my house. They are not that steep, but if you are not paying attention you will have to stand on the brakes to slow down for some of the curves.

I live in western PA, where you'd have to drive around all day to find a flat straight piece of asphalt more than a couple hundred feet long. most drives are winding hilly roads at relatively low speeds. it doesn't take too much hard driving to fade the brakes.

I avoid the temptation with the kids in the car, although my 2 year old absolutely loves a spirited ride in the sports car yelling weeee and vroom vroom...

My wife is more aggressive than I am in the van and does pretty well at autocross so I don't worry about it when she's in the car.

I generally agree about your point on safety, but basically driving a windy road course all the time with big elevation changes etc just gets too tempting every once in a while. All that being said I ALWAYS leave at least a small safety margin based on how far around the corner I can see etc.. I would never do a full limit autocross style turn on the street unless I have everything in plain view and plenty of runoff and no kids in the car.

Hey guys, can we get good pads for the toyota 4-runner calipers?

anyone got something they like better than the carbon metallics? I just use them because their the best performing thing in stock at the local parts store. But I wonder if there's enough improvement when using the aftermarket ordered performance pads to warrant the trouble to get them.