HybridZ

things i relized owning a Z..

Guest ON3GO

no im not gonna say how you never have money and stuff like that because we ALL know that..

but i was hanging out with my best friend today, just hanging doing nothing when he asks me if i wanna take a ride with him to meet this guy that will fix his computer.

so we drive down in his Altima to meet up with this other Altima owner that he meet on a forum.

well on the way down there i was just looking at cars like i always do when something really sunk into my head..

i can say without a doubt that theres not one Z on this forum that you would say "oh thats Z-gads car, no wait thats stonys, no wait thats RPMS, AHHH i dunno they all look the same".... cuz there i was waiting for the light to turn green when a black civic drives by with Euro lights, a touring wing, and white 17in 7 spoke wheels.... when BAM another black civic passes me the other way with the same wing, lights and wheels... 2 mins later another black civic passes me WITH THE SAME PARTS. And this happens again a few more times with different cars with the same parts down to the TEE..

now i know theres some ppl on this board with the same body parts, wheels, and even paint jobs... but every Z on here looks different in one way or the other.

i know other ppl have thought of this but still..... im glad i have good taste.

mike

Yeah buddy!

The Z invariably has more character than most, if not all newer cars. Aftermarket support is much lower, therefore, if you want it, you have to build it. and if you build it then it will always be a bit different than the other guy's.

Then again, most of the people here are not your average Z driver. Like yogi bear. :lol:

Joe

a black civic drives by with Euro lights, a touring wing, and white 17in 7 spoke wheels.... when BAM another black civic passes me the other way with the same wing, lights and wheels... 2 mins later another black civic passes me WITH THE SAME PARTS. And this happens again a few more times with different cars with the same parts down to the TEE..

Are you sure they were'nt shooting the Fast and the Furious 3? :D

Something else about the Z's - people like 'em. They're *affectionate* about them. At lunch, I go over to this little park where I have a cup of coffee and decompress. At least once a week somebody will come ambling over with a big smile and say "That's a Datsun Z, right? Gosh, those are pretty little cars!" or something to that affect. They don't know it has a big motor or a fancy suspension, they just like the style. I often hear "My uncle (aunt/cousin/brother/nephew/neighbor) had one when I was a kid, and I just loved it!" People in their 20's and 30's, mostly, but quite a few younger guys too.

yeah i get this ALOT "i use to own one when i was younger, and thats pretty cool a young guy like yourself even knows of these cars"

or when i went to car shows when the car was running for a few weeks everybody liked it and thought it was cool i a kid pretty much had a old datsun. even the mopar guys like them.. and they always hate everything thats not a mopar... hehe

mike

the only problem I see with Zs, is when a show happens, almost everyone and their mom has the MSA airdam and/or panasports. I am guilty of having the airdam, but I have it because it's functional! I even reinforced it so it doesn't flex :) as for panasports.... that's why I have ronals that you won't find on any other Z. Kinda makes me wish I didn't sell my CCWs to davyz

sbibz3.jpg

My 80 year old next door neighbor and I just had a conversation about the 240 and how she and her friend used to ride around town in a brand new 1970 240Z thinking how cool they were in it. She also asked why I was pulling to the front of the house to start it. She said she LOVES THE SOUND OF MY CAR!!! :shock:

Jon

Tim, and I keep telling you - it's the lighting that hides all the blemishes :) pick the right lighting, and you can make a rustbucket look good! (at night time)

Awwww....come on now, don't be so darn modest :)

The only blemish I see is that nick on your hood. That is some straight a$$ body!! (absolutely no pun intended)

Tim

I wonder about going to "shows"...

There is a regular sunday cruise-in and they got all the fancy "show cars" there with million-dollar paint jobs, the old classics detailed for concours, and all the brand new Corvettes with the un-oxidized intake manifolds from being stored indoors.

I usually park by the old cars weith the original (faded) paint and the painted(but chipped) suspension & little tears in the seats. That way I can open the hood and show off my dirty engine bay Car has 100k miles, but I try to clean the gunk that is real obvious off, and occasionally, I get a guy that says, "I remember those..." You know...

Any suggestions about what to do to improve the looks? I also rubbed out the paint & it looks a kittle deeper, less oxidized (Florida car.) How would you clean the underside (real oily/dirty/gunky)?

Lookee see here: http://www.angelfire.com/pe2/modeltom/ferrari.html

Any suggestions about what to do to improve the looks? I also rubbed out the paint & it looks a kittle deeper' date=' less oxidized (Florida car.) [/quote']

Best things you can do (IMHO) are to hit the rubber parts with a 50/50 solution of Armor All and water (dilution cuts the shine) clean the tires with a brillo pad, and polish the chrome really well. With your freshly buffed paint, it should look great!

How would you clean the underside (real oily/dirty/gunky)?

Get a gallon of Castrol Super Clean at your local parts store and spray it all over your underside. No, no, not YOUR underside, the CAR'S underside. Then scrub it with a brush. Spray. Scrub. Spray more. Scrub more. Then hose off with high pressure water. Keep in mind that wherever the Super Clean sits on your skin for over a minute or two, it will eat off the top layer of skin. It's nasty, but it's by far the best thing I've found for removing greasy crap.

Your car looks great! The color is different, and I like it. The only other thing I'd do to it if I were you would be to polish the wheels, and put larger tires on it the next time you need rubber.

I know it was painted. the inside was dark brown, now black. Inside job was (bad). It looks like they basically masked off the guages and windows and sprayed everything black- except the seats and carpet of course. Outside job was almost as cheap. Overspray everywhere. Again, just masked off the windows & chrome and sprayed. I'm surprised that the door jambs and undersides of the hood & hatch were painted.

Underside -- I would like to go someplace and have them spray it down & clean it for me. I have no place to do that (got a new driveway.)

Nice idea tho.

Engine -- I clean any obvious gunk, and I'm replacing certain things (coil, plug wires, belts, hoses, etc.) that look old and might be worn out. There's a lot of bare aluminium there and it's all oxidezed, so I'm not sure if I should clean it, polish it , paint it, or what? I'm not much on how to show off your (old) car).

• 2 weeks later...

heh, i know this is bringing up an old thread but who cares anyway.

I'm 17 now, I own a 260z 2+2. Its my first car, I learnt to drive in it and I don't intend on getting rid of it.

And I love it how, when I speak to people about my car and I would say its a Datsun, they would laugh at me etc. Then I would mention its a Z and their whole opinion changes, yea man thats an awsome car. Well if they don't know what a Z is I show them a pic and their mind changes quick smart.

I also find when i'm driving around, that alot of people turn and look. Some people even speak to me in the car park about it. But the funny thing is, the car is stock standard but its had its rust removed and its been resprayed and new carpet layed in it. Not even done up yet (hehe and I mean yet, cause very soon. I say within a month I will start gettin new mags etc)

Yea, I do get sick of seeing the same car around. I've come to these forums recently and I've looked at alot of other people's Z's and thought they all look awsome, and I can't get sick of Z's.

Guest Iceickle

Hey akeizm, good to see another adolescent Aussie here that owns a Z... Im 18, have a 260Z Coupe, which is my first car, aswell... (although i prefer the coupe, it doenst have that hump above the rear seats, my friend has one in really good nick thats had alot of work done, check it out in the nicest Z thread, the car is blue ;) )

Be careful now, dont rice your Z! (possible? nah...) Before you get mags, consider performance upgrades, instead ( even though our options, living in Australia are limited ) go and buy triple weber carbs, or something ;) (im assuming you have money, unlike me, hence my NA L26) which some day will hopefully be replaced by a 302 or similar V8...

I get alot of attention in this car, driving around a country town in Aus, i drive down the main street (yaknow that peircing booming sound the stock exhaust makes? haha) and get looks, lots of em :| its kinda embarresing sometimes, but hey, i have a Z, they dont. Even my teachers at school are like "Chris is that YOUR 260Z sitting outside??" im like "Yeah, thats my car allright :D :D :D " (to my math teacher)