HybridZ

Something different to do

Guest Lee Smith

Guest Lee Smith

I have a 87 Mazda B2000 with a decent cab & box, but a bad engine.

For something different to do. I am thinking of a SBC & AT, behind the cab & I have a few ??.

This forum seems like a good place for answers. You like something different to do.

1. Is the Diff as strong as the R200? Like stand the power of a stock SBC?

2. What is the shortest drive shaft do I dare use? I would like to extend the box. Ease excess to everything with a box cover to keep the weather off.

3. To keep the drive train as short as possible. Is there a way to join the AT directly to the diff & have it work?

4. If not 1 & 3. A R200 & Z suspension?

5. Will the Z suspension stand the extra weight? Add a extra spring, like a 300ZX spring next to the Z shock & spring?

6. The 300ZX suspension with a Z shock & spring in place of the shock?

I thinking more of the B2000 axel, because it would be easer to do. Even though the wheel base would be longer.

If the B2000 diff is not strong enough. The Nissan pickups have the same strong gears as the R200. ?? I do not have the Nissan pickup axel on hand

I have SBC & AT, on hand.

If not a SBC & AT, I have a 80 280ZX AT, on hand, but it is a driver that I am thinking of adding a 100 shot of NOS to, for something different to do.

1. Will the AT stand a 100 shot of NOS? I am thinking of shifting the AT manual. Adding NOS after the shift to 2ed. Again after the shift to 3ed.

2. Is NOS on/off that quick, &/or me. :-) or should I let the AT do the shifting?

Thanks for any & all thoughts. E me please. olsmith@lvcta.com

Lee Smith

You're going into uncharted territory here, but it sounds like a unique project. Unfortunately, the questions you ask go into an area that few if any of our members may be able to answer. I would be interested to see how your project turns out none the less.

I used to have a B2200 and I think you would have to do a lot of stretching to put an SBC and a Trans in front of the stock rear end. I would look at using one of the GM front wheel drive transaxles. I know Oldsmobile and Cadillac both had automatic FWD V8 cars from the late 60's to early 80's. I have seen them used in the back of VW Bugs, trikes, etc. You would simply use the front part of the car frame, and graft it to the rear of the truck frame. You could then use either the engine that came with the transaxle, or use an adapter plate to connect to a Chevy engine.

Lee,

Are you saying that you want to put the engine in the 'bed'? If that's the case, why not get a Toronado front drive axle? Just lock the steering, using some heim joints or something, then you will have adjustable toe setting in the rear. My Dad did something similar with a Ford Cortina pickup way back when with a blown big block, but used a Getrag box. Fuel tank, radiator and oil cooler were mounted forward of the firewall.

Tim

FWIW- I bought my Mikunis from a guy with a D50 Mitsubishi that ran 11's (383, nitrous). He ran the 4 cyl rear end until he broke the ring and pinion. He marked the axles at both ends, and after running it for a few years and breaking the R&P, he checked the axles. They had twisted less than 1/4".

Jon

Guest Lee Smith

In 01 or 02 there was a Nissan on eBay that had a V8 behind the cab.

It had 2 axles in the rear. The 1st looked close to the original position, the 2ed right behind.

I had thought of a GM V8 transaxle, but a good % of the weight looked to be behind the axle & I don't have 1 on hand.

A transaxle may show up before I get started.

With the B2000 axle, I was thinking that I would need 18" of drive shaft to

allow for spring flex.

With a R200 I would only need the slip & U joint, but much harder to do.

I have 280Z & 300 ZX rear suspensions on hand.

It sounds like the B2000 diff may be strong enough for a try.

If it brakes I can go to a 1/2 ton ??, or a R200 without much loss.

Thanks all for the input.

Lee

Guest Lee Smith

There was a Nissan on eBay in 01 or 02 that had a V8 behind the cab.

It had 2 axles. The 1st in the standard place, the 2ed close behind.

I had thought of a GM transaxle, but a good % of the weight looks to be behind the axle & I do not have on hand.

1 may show up before I get started.

I was thinking that I would need a 18" driveshaft for spring flex, using the B2000 axle. ??

Using a R200 all that I would need is a slip & U joints, 6". ??

I have 280Z & 300ZX suspension, on hand.

Will a 280Z shock & spring work where the 300ZX shock is & have the 300 ZX spring too, for the extra weight?

It seems that the B2000 diff may be strong enough, as long as I stay stock on the V8.

It would be a lot easer to do, but 12" longer.

The 300 suspension is intriguing, but the extra work. ??

If it wasn't for the shift linkage, is there a 5-spd that is shorter then a AT?

The Nissan 5-spd & AT are the same length.

I had a Mack cabover that the tran was at least 4' from the shifter.

I have old GM truck 4-spd, but they are not quick shifting.

Ok for towing, but not a dragger. I am trying for 2 worlds, is it possible?

Thanks for input.

If/when I get it started/done, I will keep you posted.

I have 6 other projects started/to do, to finish/sell, if anybody is interested

1. A 77 V8. The body is almost ready for the JTR prep. With SBC & AT,

$500.

2. The 80 with NOS. A driver, $500.

3. A 87 Mustang 5-spd. Nice, but may/may not have a bad engine, $500.

4. A 89 240SX 5-spd. Nice, some rust behind the rear wheels. The engine runs, but has knock, $500.

5. A new, never put in service, 600E BobCat that I am putting a

Mercedes industrial diesel in, $5000, when done.

$4000 now. All parts on hand. I just have to put it together.

6. My new toy. A 77 Corvette, 9-15-03, $5500 now. $???? when done.

The wife says that everything that I have is for sale. Maybe even her & the kids, but not my dog. :-)

Lee