HybridZ

Blew It Up!!!

Guest RON JONES

Guest RON JONES

Blew My Motor Yesterday.I bought a set of those real cheep ass H-beam rods on e-bay(Eagle Copy)and sure enough,It bit Me in the Butt!Should of spent the extra $$$ on a good set.Oh well.I remember the rods Had "AMS" stamped on the side.Buyers beware!Any Body want to buy a nice Z (roller now)for $9800! :(

Guest RON JONES

SBC 385CI.I'd guess it was making around 550 to 575HP.It didn't blow up right away,I have been racing all summer.No warning,just let go.It blew up at the 1/8 mile mark just after shifting into 2nd(2SP PG).I have been shifting it at 7400rpm.I was told to stay away from the import copys(rods).Live and learn.It Dind't "window" the block,and the hole in the oil pan isn't that big.I have a bit of hope that its repairable.I had already made up My mind before it blew up that if I end up keeping it,I'm puting the 555 CI BBC that I have in it.

Guest RON JONES

The 555 was a 540ci that had already been in the car.The car has been 8.56@160 with that set up.Other than opening up the motor to 555CI,it will also have two 1050 Dominators on a Edelbrock Victor 2-R Tunnel Ram,insted of the single 1050 that was on a Dart single plane intake.I go back and forth all the time with selling or keeping this Car.I would like something New,but keeping it doesn't bother Me eaither.It is a totaly Cool Car. :D

Guest RON JONES

Davinci does a very nice Carb.I had them do a 750 for Me and it worked very well.We Have a local Guy up here(PMR Performance)that did the Dominators I bought.He Is very good with Carbs.He just did a Dominator for a Guy that runs at Our Track.The car picked up almost three tenths!!Its amazing how much You can pick up with a finly tuned Carb. :D

Guest RON JONES

Your right John,It does get alot of attention.I really do love the Car.I wish I had the $$$ to just buy a Chrome Molly,Fiberglass Bodyed Car and keep the Z.I go through this "Selling it stage of the Year" for a Couple months and then realize Its not going anywhere for another year.I'm starting to toy with the idea of redoing the Car in a year or two(how ever long it takes to come up with the money).I'd like to completely redo the chassie.All round tube Chrome Molly,lexan windows,biger tubs for a larger tire and lower it a bit more(like Jap Tins Car).Set it up kind of like the Car I would be looking for if I ever sold it.Time will tell. :D