HybridZ

Toulene ratios

lifegrddude

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but I was wondering what the ratio was if you wanted to mix toulene with your gas. How many points will it raise the octane rating? My last question is, is it safe? i.e. no side effects like harming the cat or 02 sensor. I have a test pipe for track days, but for everyday driving is it okay? Thanks.

John 82ZXT

Guest bastaad525

I gallon of toulene for 9 gallons of fuel (10%) will raise the octane by about three i.e.: from 91 to 94. I keep telling myself I need to try some of that stuff... two gallons in my tank and up the boost a few pounds and see what happens :)

I've been running one gallon to five gallons 92 octane to get about 96. Supposedly you can run up to 35% Tolulene before any problems with fuel lines, etc. Tolulene is 114 octane, and is used in the gas you buy at the pump (in much smaller doses).

Xylene is 118 octane, and is usually the same price, FWIW.

I've run probably 20 tanks through, and haven't seen any problems yet.

Lately I've been running AV Gas, because it is CHEAP at 100 octane at $2.65. Not legal for street use, and it is a little less dense than the unleaded and tolulene or xylene mix.

I was running the Tolulene and Xylene because I was tuning with an O2 sensor. When I was done, I took the sensor off. I never had a problem with it while running the mix.

Jon

Guest bastaad525

I've heard bad things from people who've run aviation fuel for long periods of time. Apparently some people have observed that there are a lot of additives in aviation fuel, specifically for that use, that when used in a street cars motor leave a lot of deposits behind. One guy was telling me how he ran that fuel for a year and started having problems with valves... I think he said all he ran was the aviation fuel, straight, for that period of time. Anyways he pulled the head off... this was a newly rebuilt head (completely rebuilt motor actually) that he had just installed right at the time he started using the av fuel exclusively. Anyways he says the chambers and pistons were really badly coated with this built up crud. I can't say either way as I've never used it, but I can certainly understand how and why there would be additives in the fuel used for those engines (constant, high revving airplane motors) that could be harmful in a car... so I wont mess with the stuff

Toulene and Xylene are cheap, I've seen gallons of the stuff for $5.00 or so, and as someone already pointed out, these things are stuff you can already find pump gas that you already put in your car. They are also primary ingredients in off the shelf octane boosters... again, something designed specifically for a car, and therefore with low risk of doing any harm. And everything I have seen on the stuff suggests that it burns REALLY clean, wont leave any kind of gunk in your engine. If I ever want to raise octane in my car this will be the only way I would do it.

Thanks Bastaad for your concern, but I forgot to state that I've been mixing the AV Gas 50/50 with 92 octane. I've heard things about additives, and the fuel being less dense than pump gas, so you need to run richer with it, but never any problems with buildup. My impression was that the additives are there to make the fuel stable at all altitudes and all temperatures, as well as to make it more stable when it sits in the tank of a plane that won't be flown again for 2 months. Supposedly it contains less energy than Unleaded, and I know it is less dense. The lead should lubricate the valvetrain. All that being said, my engine seems to like it. A LOT.

I recently had my manifolds off, and there was no apparent buildup on the valves at all. The guy who turned me on to the AV Gas is a drag racer and former co-worker, he's been running it for years with no probs. I suppose I could throw in a bottle of Techron every once in a while just to be sure, but so far, no problems.

A lot of small planes and helicopters run standard piston engines, so I don't know how their motors would resist the buildup that would have caused the damage on your friend's motor.

Tolulene and Xylene are $10/gal in this area, unless you buy a 50 gal drum. I've been considering that, but it is kind of a hassle to get the drum to and from the house. HEAVY! Maybe I should look into a 25 gal drum or something.

Jon

A lot of small planes and helicopters run standard piston engines, so I don't know how their motors would resist the buildup that would have caused the damage on your friend's motor.

Aviation engines are designed to run at constant rpm and high load. The fuel additive packages are deisgned to work with an engine that runs at a constant temperature in a very clean environment. Usually that means fewer detergents.

Automotive engines are designed to run at varying rpms, low load, and spend a good deal of time at idle. The fuel additive packages are designed to work with an engine that runs at varying temperatures and in a very dirty environment. Usually that means more detergents.

Guest bastaad525

man you're getting ripped... any home depot out here sells the stuff for $4-5 a gallon, and my tank is pretty small... about 12 gallons I think or maybe 14, so one gallon in a tank would do great for me. For $10 a gallon though.. yikes that does suck. If you COULD, on the other hand, somehow but it in bulk... that would kick ass :)

You're right. They didn't even spit on it either :wink:. I thought it was a CA thing, but you're in CA right? When I moved to WA I thought I'd find it for $5, but no such luck. I've been to paint stores, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Best price I've found is $8.99/gal.

I'd probably forego the AV Gas if I could get a good deal on Tolulene or Xylene, although I do kinda like the idea of the leaded lubing the valvetrain.

Jon

Just for a reference....back in the old country I ran a 4 cylinder car (mazda egi 1.6 liter) that was running 13.2:1 compression. I ran Avgas exclusively for years and had no problems. One caveat....all gasoline (petrol) was leaded, so engines were expected to run leaded.

I used to sit on the freeway at 132MPH on the rev limiter in 5th gear and that cam (out of a ex-british rally car) still had more in it (limiter was 6700rpm).

That was a fun little car.

Tim