HybridZ

Anybody NOT using Al's motor mounts?

JKDGabe

First off, I'll say this is strictly curiousity on my part. There seems to be two problems with Alsils' mount: the steering rod (if you still have stock Z steering) as the mount was designed around a ford steering rack and the (stock) hood clearance especially with the gt-40 intake. If I'm wrong on either of these points please correct me. Curious to know who has made their own mounts and what your basic setup is.

You could quite possibly modify Al's mount to accomadate your install. I built mine based on an earlier Al mount (not connected with the crossmember) and cut a pretty deep groove to allow for steering shaft clearance and modded the DS header for clearance. I don't know how high an EFI engine sits, but I re-shaped the mounts to get the engine to sit where I wanted. It's trial and error. I haven't had any problems with sagging or twisting. The engine is a GT-40 long block with aluminum heads, performer rpm, demon carb yadda yadda. Hot Rod Mag built the same engine and it dyno'd at 377hp/crank. I don't know how the mounts would hold-up to 450+hp. Regardless of mount, if you bolt anything to the frame rails, a most important thing to do is support the frame rails where the mount bolts on. Sleeving the bolt holes is a good way to go. There are some pics at the link in my sig.

Good luck.

Terry, was aware of what you had done but hadn't seen that particular pic. Jumbo, some good shots. Thanks to both of you.

Really I'm not planning on any particular setup right now. I think I have my current JTR SBC setup sold and will need something eventually but I'm slowly doing body work right now.

Guest bobs302z

I used 1' pipe as a crossmember with 1' stubs up to a solid mount I did not have to change steering . I also used long tube headers . it was a tight fit and had to use solid mounts have driven car ffor two summers and am happy with set up There is some pics on my brothers wed site

http://members.shaw.ca/rguido/ under family cars.

In the current rev of my car, my motor is mounted similar to Terry's(front plate / mid plate. In the previous rev the motor was mounted on Fox body mustang rubber mounts and some custom steel brackets.

In both cases, the position of the engine is the same, and a ujoint is required in the steering shaft(no big deal).

These images show the current configuration.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2028

album_pic.php?pic_id=1896

These image shows the old mounts and the old installation

album_pic.php?pic_id=629

album_pic.php?pic_id=2027