HybridZ

cleaner/whiter valve covers

TomoHawk

what's a good way to make your valve covers, dash pot, and such stuff under the hood that's oxidized to dullness/roughness to look a little more like newer metal without polishing it death? Just want it to look a little more like fresh cast stuff.

thx.

Clean them up (free of oil and grease) and coat them with "Cast Siver' aerosol paint. It is fuel and solvent (and even brake fluid) resistant. It is available at any auto parts store. It has a Cast finish appearance when dry. Or....clean everything up to a nice clean shine and coat it with enamel clear.

Tim

How do you sand blast or glass bead stuff when it's on the car? I don't really wqant to take the engine apart, because I drive the car some. I bought it to use, not coddle.

Could you , like, use a scotchbrite pad with some stuff like a slurry of CLR and silica?

I don't really wqant to take the engine apart, because I drive the car some. I bought it to use, not coddle.

Hahahahaha, thats classic! :lol:

oh, yeah, my contribution to this thread....I use brake cleaner, simple green, and a toothbrush to clean hard to reach places. I soak it in simple green, then scrub with a toothbrush, then blow all the grime away with brake cleaner.

Guest greimann

This might be too aggressive, but Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner is an acid product that will absolutely remove any oxidation and leave a bright satin aluminum finish. Try it on a small place first.

eagleone.jpg

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Two words:

Steel Wool!

Get 000 or 0000 and buff that stuff up. Does take a little elbow-grease, but it is well worth the effort. Be sure to rinse/air blast it after so you dont have steel wool bits sitting there ready to start rusting.

Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner removes oxidation and leave a bright satin aluminum finish.

eagleone.jpg

You got that right!!

I tried some on the dashpot first. First a light rub with a small stainless brush, then spray on the wheel cleaner... Voila! cl;ean! Siny too, almost like new. I then used it on the master cylinder caps, the header heat sheild, and the 'trouble light'. With a light scrub with an old toothbrush they all came out cleaner any shinier.

Then i prayed some on the old cruddy valve cover. Again, a little scrubbinbg with the toothbrush and it too came ould looking satin-like new! Not polished or shiny, just clean, smooth and newer-looking. :2thumbs:

Later I'll go "clean" any other oxidized alimunum stuff and I won't feel bad to leave the hool open if I take the car someplace.

KUDOS, Greimann! :cheers::rockon:

its going to take a while to get it clean. what i did on mine is i sanded it smooth with 100-400 (thats all i had) and then polished it with a buffing wheel until it got shinier. then i rubbed it out with semi-chrome, it took a while but it was definitly worth it cause it looks like chrome now :D

No No no.......

You're not supposed to polish it to a chhrome-like finish. You're just restoring things to it's original smooth or shiny look. The brake cylinder caps were a shiny metal originally. The dashpot was satin-like cast aluminum, as was the valve cover.

I wasn't trying to polish things. I was trying to make them look nice, like they originally did. NOW, you can open the hood and feel good because you KNOW that people aren't looking at a bunch of rough, dull, oxidized, aluminum and metal pieces.

Guest greimann

KUDOS' date=' Greimann! :cheers::rockon:[/quote']

Thanks! That stuff works wonders on hard water stains int the bathroom too!

And now my other secret: spray tire dressing over everything in the engine compartment, drive for a few miles to baste it in and then wipe off.

Guest sukow2001

I havent posted here in a while, but I decided to look at this forum again today. I have been thinking of using the mag wheel cleaner on my stuff. but I will polis it after. where do you get semi-crome?