HybridZ

Original Nissan Keys

Trevor

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have keys that look orginal. They say Datsun on them. I wouldnt think those keys on ebay would be originals since the company wasnt named "Nissan" yet.

I have that style key too. It says nissan on them and I was told that they were the original keys when I bought them. Nissan was around then it is what the company was called in Japan. Datsun was just the US market at the time. My keys are so worn though they are almost smooth.

Yes, I have both model. That one with the "N" or the "Z", is still like new. I guess I'm lucky because we don't see them very often :D I tried to make another key but I haven't been able to find a place where they would have a datsun key like mine !! :shock: I don't think they sell those key every day .

Dayz

I had one....until the shop where I was getting some work done lost it! :cuss: It still had the black on it, too.

I got a call from them one day asking "Uh...you don't have a spare key for your Z, do ya? I think Whitey might of lost yours" They ended up having to call a locksmith to come and make another one (which doesnt realy fit well).

Notes to self:

1) Don't ever take your car to shop with employees named "Whitey"

2) Keep an eye on Forrest

I just found one in the JY!! It was still in the switch of a RHD Fairlady.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2167

Too bad if master blanks are no longer available. What do the numbers mean? The teeth are in pretty good shape on this one so I think I'll re-key my locks to fit this key. :-D

The numbers stamped INTO the key are the key code to the vehicle. If you'll look inside your glove box, presuming it's not been removed, there should be a white label with the same number written on it. This only applies to Nissan's made before 1993. They quit doing it in 92.

Anyway, if you have that sticker there, and the dealer took the time to fill it out like he was supposed to, you'll have the original key code to your vehicle. Go to any automotive locksmith with that number, the registration to your car, and your drivers license, and he should be able to make a NEW key (NOT on an original blank though) for your car that should operate all of the locks...that is, of course, if they haven't been changed since Methusila(san) (sp) put them in way back when the car was made.

That number can also be found on the passenger door lock, assuming it hasn't been changed either.

Just thought I'd chime in here, as I am, afterall, an automotive locksmith.

Warren

Is there any way of getting new blanks madeup? I have the original "Z" key as shown in the pic above but would love to have a backup copy. I know you can use a generic blank, but having a new key using a new "original" blank would be cool.

I suppose keys blanks are stamped using a die. I guess someone would have to find the die Nissan used to make more original blanks.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Trevor, I've got a '79 Fairlady and have one Nissan key that looks like the one you pictured. Its got the same black around the NISSAN MOTOR as your pic. Also have a key cut from a generic blank thats stamped (ready for this ?) "BLANK MOTOR M239". One of these fits the ignition and the other opens doors/hatch, can't remember which is which right now. It been 2 years since the car was running and will be another 2 years before its ready again.