HybridZ

LX, DX, HX, EX??? what do they mean?

Guest dvlax28

Guest dvlax28

What do all these letters mean? I've always wondered...civics come is so many different ways, all I can think of right now is EX, LX, HX, DX and i know a lot of other cars use these too. explanations would be awesome,

I'm trying to give a car maintenance lesson for some kids my age and I really can't think of much besides fluid changes, brake changes, tire rotating, oil filter, light and blinker and horn checks....any other ideas for some teenage guys learning about cars?

not talking bout like drum-to-disk brake conversions just little do-at-home stuff. thanks

jAsOn

Guest comeandzpa

In some cases those letters are nothing more than ways to distinguish one trim level from another. I.E. the LX might be the one that comes with standard air, sunroof, etc., while the HX might be the one that comes with very few options but is cheaper. Sometimes they do have specific meaning, for example GT means Gran Turismo and SS means Super Sport. I remember that there was a thread about this a long time ago, does anybody remember it?

DX-entry level car

LX-4 dr. with DX equiptment plus options like automatic, CD player etc.

EX-better engine, more options, also leather

HX- Usually well equipped, geared towards more fuel economy with CVT transmission.

"Special Edition" Usually a spiffy'd up LX because it's the last year that body design and has power windows, locks, etc. and they try to dump all the left over crap they have on the shelves. In essence they made a Value Package so you wont wait till the new body style comes in, because they know most people wait to buy the newer styles. In the Japanese case every 4-5 years

The letters themselves dont stand for anything. ......I think. :shock:

Guest Z-rific

Here's some that I can think of, off the top of my head...

GS=Grand Sport

RS=Rally Sport

SS=Super Sport

GT=Gran Turismo or Grand Touring

LX=somtimes means Luxury

HO=High Output

SHO=Super high output?

small letter "i"s=injected

T=sometimes means turbo (280zxt, Talon TSi, etc)

D= somtimes means "diesel"

Many letters just denote one version or body style from the next. Many times car makers just throw something fancy on the end of a name to make it sound wilder.

As far as basic maintenance; fluid checks/changes, hoses and belt checks, filter checks, battery terminal/water level checks, and occasional spark plug change.

Nissan letters I can think of:

XE - Base model

GXE - "Grand XE" - Nicer base model

SE - "Sport Edition"

LE - "Luxury Edition"

GLE - "Grand Luxury Edition"

Also, things for teens to know. How to change a flat tire on the road.

Guest dvlax28

alright awesome, i was just wondering. and thanks Aaron for the flat tire idea, because some of my friends probably haven't learned how to do that yet.

i'll have my dad help with spark plugs because he knows a lot, i can't remember what he was telling me, if it was like golden brown, it was running nice, but if it had black grime it was leaking, and some other color meant it had pre-ignition. but yeah sounds good, this will help with my lesson, thanks

jAsOn