HybridZ

MSA turbo cam

monster626

i bought the 270/260 cam and have had a good pull from 2500 up

the problem i have is my temp now sits at 195 while driving and around 210-220 at idle. I have taken the thermastate out all together because it overheats with it in. has anyone ever used this cam...........if so what was you experience and what settings are you using. Any help would be great.

right now i have the cam alittle advanced could this be the problem?

I would double check to make sure you haven't missed a tooth on the cam gear. You should also check to make sure the engine is really at TDC before doing that, and lining up the notch on the balancer is not the way to do it, because your balancer could have slipped.

If you have a retarded cam, that can cause overheating, but installation of a cam alone should not cause an overheating problem.

What other mods have you done to the car?

How did you setup the hks sprocket? I've seen them and the dowel hole doesn't line up with the OE sprocket to give you a base line to start with. If your not going to run a thermostat, you should at least run a restrictor otherwise coolant flows through the radiator too quickly and isn't cooled as well.

If your not going to run a thermostat, you should at least run a restrictor otherwise coolant flows through the radiator too quickly and isn't cooled as well.

That is actually a fallacy. The reason to restrict the flow is is to build pressure in the system. Without the restriction, pressure would not build and the boiling point of the coolant would be lowered to the point that hot spots or steam pockets would be created around the cylinders.

Tim

when i got the hks sproket i looked at it and your right they don't line up the same at all. Basically what i did is turn the sproket to a position that gave me room to move it left and right. laid them on top of one another and transfored the timing marks so that i then had a starting position.

As for the termostate it is in at this time. the reason that i had been over heating was i advanced the cam to far. the car runs good at stock position but i think i would like alittle more pull so i'm going to advance it some and have fun. thanks for your help