HybridZ

Camaro Radiator Killer/Did I get the right one???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Trying to find a Camaro radiator is a nightmare situation. I refuse to pay for one dinky plastic/ aluminum Camaro Radiator when a 24"x19" Griffin Racing aluminum radiator out Of the Summitt Catalog is $181.95.The Modine Camaro v8/4cyl.radiator #952 has been discontinued.There are a lot of aftermarket radiators out there but not exactly the dimensions of a Modine #952. Summitt had a copper /brass racing radiator that was discontinued also that would fit... but it's replacement is too big for the Datsun frame rails (25 3/8). I got so frustrated calling all these discount radiator dealers that I impulsively ordered The Griffin (GRI-1-25202-X) from Summitt.And of course the Griffin does not come with automatic transmission provisions (about $50..00 more for that provision).Did I get the Right one????? I have been fooling with this decesion for a week and went ahead and didit- fididit. What dioes a junkyard Taurus electric fan run??????

Guest digitalz

that is the same griffin i have. i recently put a single speed 3.0L taurus fan. been running great ever since.

i had a flex a lite black magic m-150. pos stopped working after a few months.

get the taurus fan, oems not gonna put a pos on their carz

kent

I was hunting all over for one in the bone yard today (no luck). I can settle for a used one as long as it is strait. I will probably call around some more for a used one, but may go with the griffen.

The part number you listed there, is it the one with the automatic tranny cooler built in or no? I'm running a 5 speed, so I won't be needing one.

DigitalZ what did you use for the top mount? Is it necessary to mount it back as far as you did? I will be running a inline 6 (7m-gte) with intercooler piping behind the radiator so room is important.

Top mount is easy - use pieces of aluminum strap from Lowe's :D The rubber is from an S-10 radiator mount - little rubber locating nubs and all... Fan on my car is from a Cobra - got it's motor over the 'net by using a Junkyard search engine. Google will find search engines like that for you and I've posted the URL in the past. You place a request with your E-mail and owners get back to you (shrug). Cheap Cheap! :D

0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

and

0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Guest digitalz

to answer tony's question, no you don't have to mount it that far back.

i have a taurus fan now and i was forced to move it up against the original front radiator support. just used some 3/8" fuel line for bumpers so the al radiator doesn't bang against the support.

i also had to drop it an inch because the hood would not close. i am using the jtr design mount on the bottom. i just fabbed some brackets that mount to the top of the fan shroud and welded a lip in to sandwich the bottom of the fan to the radiator. if you want some pics can probly take some.

hope this helps. can also check out pete's page he is using a 2 speed mustang fan with an aluminum radiator also.

• 5 months later...

If you really want the camaro radiator, I'll sell you mine. I wish I had gone for the Griffin actually. Not only is this thing small, but from word of mouth, prone to leaks(which I haven't had yet) and busted tanks if run to hot. It took me 3 months to get mine(for $140) and I've actually considered putting one of the stock ones I have back in. This is just my opinion ofcourse.

Had it in for about 7 months now. Can give pics. I'll send you mine as soon as my Griffin comes in, once I order it after selling this one. So, in other words, it's working fine now but I know others that would work/look better then this.

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure what the Howe radiator runs, but I believe its 1" tubes, and so far at over 103 degree's here in AZ with the air running in traffic with a taurus fan I have yet to see it go much above 185 with a 180 thermo. 1 1/4" tubes would be nice, but I'm not sure I'd pay a premium to get them, I can't believe colorado would be hotter than here. :D Then again, your running much more motor than I by far, maybe the 1 1/4's would be worth it.. *shrug*

One thing though I'm curious about John. At nearly a mile high, what does that do as far as radiator pressure. I mean if you run a 15 lb cap up there is it still 15 lbs like down at sea level or is it actually more or less than that? Maybe a simple question but I can't wrap my head around which way it would go.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: That said, I'll let you know how it goes when it gets to 115 or so.. ;)

I'm looking at modifying my original Datsun 3-row radiator to a 4-row and running a pusher/puller fan combination. Anyone tried this? It definitely eliminates any mounting concerns but not sure about hose connections or having enough cooling.

Cut this from an old thread (http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002146):

Jim Powers

Member # 2020

posted May 03, 2002 11:11 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many years ago my inline 6 had radiator problems. I went to a local radiator shop and bought an (I assume) off the shelf radiator with a 3 or 4 row core to replace the stock single row one. Maybe they built it from my old core, too long ago to remember. I do know it did the job with excess capacity and I don't remember paying anywhere near 2 bills.

I don't think it is aluminum and is definitely not plastic. Can't see why that wouldn't work with a V8. At the time I remember it having more cooling area than the radiators MSA sold with their V8 kit.

Opinions?

--------------------

JPP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 75 | From: Columbia, MD | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged

FL327

Member # 149

posted May 03, 2002 11:26 AM

mine is stock z radiator, recored to three core, runs fine, yes its brass, runs great, i run 179 on a 180 therm all the livelong day for three plus years of driving the z like i stole it.

no funny brackets needed, costs a little over 100 dollars, bolts in, and works as good in a v8 car.

--------------------

1972 FL327/350/m21/202/160/

four lug / drum / 2002

the daily drivinest

197# 2**z soon to be l28t jy style with no cats.

Posts: 1771 | From: SunSet D. SFC | Registered: May 2000 | IP: Logged

Jim Powers

Member # 2020

posted May 03, 2002 12:29 PM

If recoring a stock Z radiator works, then why all the rush to pick up Camaro radiators? Seems like the extra $100 could be better spent.

Would there be a problem with say an LT1 and the "reverse flow" cooling? What about radiator hoses, are the diameters and/or placement unworkable with a Chevy engine?

--------------------

JPP

Posts: 75 | From: Columbia, MD | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged

Tim240Z

Member # 1084

posted May 03, 2002 12:44 PM

quote:

If recoring a stock Z radiator works, then why all the rush to pick up Camaro radiators?

Jim,

when you can pick up a Camaro rad. with 2 fingers, and need both hands (with help from Arnold Swartzenegger) to pick up even a 2 core Z rad., the difference is mindblowing. Having all that weight hanging off the front of the car (in the worst possible place for decent weight distribution), the al. radiators make sense and unless you really have scrape up $$ for the conversion, is worth the expense.

BTW, I picked up my Camaro radiator for 25 bucks!!

Tim

--------------------

Homepage:http://tim240z.iwarp.com/index.html

73 240Z slightly Modded

71 Cheyenne 20 Truck--Warm 350ci (360hp)

73 240Z LT1, T56, R230 (I'll finish one day)

96 Volvo 850...well wife has to drive something?!

Posts: 1136 | From: South Bay - Los Angeles Area | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged

One of this months car rags had a cooling info and explained why a side tank rad is better than the old top tank. The side tank has the radiator cap on the suction side and doesn't expose the cap to as much pressure as the Z top tank rad. If you had to spend the $, I'd go for a side tank setup whether the Griffin or the GM radiator is a personal choice as they both seem sufficient.

My Camaro radiator is for sale on page 2 of "buy/sell/trade". It's not cooling well enough with A/C in Oklahoma. I'm in the process of installing the 24x19 Howe unit. By the way I think the instructions mentioned that you're supposed to mount the Howe radiator at the tanks only. I'd have to double check that to be sure.

Lone,

Mounting it at the c-channel would have saved me a lot of fab time, and inhalation of burning rubber, from cutting tank mounts with a dremel. Just wish i'd seen your reply earlier.

Thanks,

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

I contacted Howe when I put my radiator in and asked about mounting, while mounting in the tanks is probably a good idea, Howe said you can mount using the C channels welded on the top and bottom of the radiator. Thats how I have mine. I did put rubber between my JTR mount on the bottom and the C channel as well as the 2 f shaped brackets that hold the top C channel. If you see Howe's mounting bracket its just a strap with no rubber kinda J shaped at the bottom and I didn't see they're top mounts. Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along, I used the stock bottom JTR bracket I made and the C channel just rests on it. Its very solid and hasn't given me trouble yet.

Regards,

Lone

Originally posted by LoneInAZ:

I'm not sure what the Howe radiator runs, but I believe its 1" tubes, and so far at over 103 degree's here in AZ with the air running in traffic with a taurus fan I have yet to see it go much above 185 with a 180 thermo. 1 1/4" tubes would be nice, but I'm not sure I'd pay a premium to get them, I can't believe colorado would be hotter than here. :D Then again, your running much more motor than I by far, maybe the 1 1/4's would be worth it.. *shrug*

One thing though I'm curious about John. At nearly a mile high, what does that do as far as radiator pressure. I mean if you run a 15 lb cap up there is it still 15 lbs like down at sea level or is it actually more or less than that? Maybe a simple question but I can't wrap my head around which way it would go.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: That said, I'll let you know how it goes when it gets to 115 or so.. ;)

Don't get up to 115, though we've been 100+ a few times last week. Never thought about the altitude thing on cap pressures. I'd guess 15 psi in a sealed radiator at sea level is 15 psi up here. Just less dense on the outside. The higher altitude also makes water boil at a lower temp, too, but again in a sealed system, maybe not an issue. Something to ponder as I crawl around under the Z today.

Thanks nullbound :D Its ordered!! I'll be going with the extra cost of the 1.25. Embarassing when you blow your coolent at the drive through at Wendys. I'd rather go a little strong and pay more. When Griffin says "RACE ONLY" what does that mean for street use/daily driver?

John