HybridZ

Twin Turbo, 383 Chevy.

I now see you in the first picture in back of your Z. That is an awesome car and it is a very clean install.

I am just about ready to start my project. It is a 71 240Z but I am not sure which drivetrain I want to go with yet. I will be selling the whole drivetrain it has right now which consists of a 2.8/E88 w/performance cam, triple SK carbs, ITG intake, Mallory Unilite dizzy, Hooker headers, performance exhaust, Centerforce clutch, early 5-speed and 4.11 gears.

What I can't figure out yet is if I want to go with a modded L28T, RB26TT or the 2JZ turbo. I do hope my finished project looks even half as good as yours.

Marcos :2thumbs:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now see you in the first picture in back of your Z. That is an awesome car and it is a very clean install.

I am just about ready to start my project. It is a 71 240Z but I am not sure which drivetrain I want to go with yet. I will be selling the whole drivetrain it has right now which consists of a 2.8/E88 w/performance cam' date=' triple SK carbs, ITG intake, Mallory Unilite dizzy, Hooker headers, performance exhaust, Centerforce clutch, early 5-speed and 4.11 gears.

What I can't figure out yet is if I want to go with a modded L28T, RB26TT or the 2JZ turbo. I do hope my finished project looks even half as good as yours.

Marcos :2thumbs:[/quote'] Marcos, it all depends on what you want to accomplish with your Z, how much work you can perform yourself, or how much you can afford to spend. I wanted to build a street/strip car that was fast and affordable. Fortunately, I had the patience (not money) to do much of the work myself. Good luck with your project!! Hanns

Hanns, Beautiful installation! I figured a pair of turbos would fit nicely up front of the V8. Which turbos are you using? Did you make the exhaust manifolds from scratch? I would love to see some pics of the manifolds if anyone has them.

hanns, you car is phenomenal. :shock: welcome to the site!!!! seeing artwork like you've performed is a great inspiration to z-car fanatics like myself, just starting out. and i have to second the question... do you drive your car on the street? if so, that much power has to be a nightmare in traffic!!! :twisted:

Beautiful install, shows wonderful craftsmanship. My 383 twin turbo will be fired up in about a couple months, with luck. Hope to have the motor installed in the next couple of weeks. I'm going with a couple of Buick Grand National turbos. My install will look a lot more junkyard than yours. I can appreciate how much time it took. Great job!

Hanns, Beautiful installation! I figured a pair of turbos would fit nicely up front of the V8. Which turbos are you using? Did you make the exhaust manifolds from scratch? I would love to see some pics of the manifolds if anyone has them.
Paul, thanks for the compliment. The turbos are 14 year old Rajays ( 375 E 80 ) that have been loaned to me from a friend. The log style manifolds are made from plain 2.5 inch square tubing, but they work. The turbos fit in front of the engine but must turn inward, from both sides, to allow clearance for the exhaust plumbing (since I did not want to cut into the fenderwells). I do have a full exhaust system with big Flowmaster mufflers. Hanns.

I have been trying to do research to figure out what I want to do' date=' but have been too busy lately. I will be doing most of it myself. Do you really drive that thing on the street. If you do, i'll get out of your way if I see you coming. :shock::D

Marcos[/quote'] Marcos, my Z is totally street legal. The engine is a high performance 383 and you never know the turbos are there unless you punch it. Then you need clean underwear. My 3 inch exhaust system is a little low so I don't like bumpy roads. Let me know what you decide to do to your Z. Hanns

hanns, you car is phenomenal. :shock: welcome to the site!!!! seeing artwork like you've performed is a great inspiration to z-car fanatics like myself, just starting out. and i have to second the question... do you drive your car on the street? if so, that much power has to be a nightmare in traffic!!! :twisted:
Thanks for the compliment. I don't drive my Z everyday but I could, no problem. The Z has a modified suspension for drag racing, so it is slightly harder to handle in traffic, but not much. The turbos don't spool up unless I punch it, so the engine is not a problem. :-D Hanns

no intercooler? considering the power now that thing has some more in it with the addition of a nice 3 core intercooler.. not that its not nice now... good job

my car is getting a ford 8.8 race prepped should be in the tens next year ;>

Beautiful install, shows wonderful craftsmanship. My 383 twin turbo will be fired up in about a couple months, with luck. Hope to have the motor installed in the next couple of weeks. I'm going with a couple of Buick Grand National turbos. My install will look a lot more junkyard than yours. I can appreciate how much time it took. Great job!
Thanks for the compliments. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of your 383TT in the near future. If you can do some of the fabrication, yourself and you take your time, there is no reason why your Z won't look like mine. :-D Hanns

no intercooler? considering the power now that thing has some more in it with the addition of a nice 3 core intercooler.. not that its not nice now... good job

my car is getting a ford 8.8 race prepped should be in the tens next year ;>

Thanks for the comment. The Z has plenty of room in front of the radiator for an intercooler. However, my current turbo orientation in the engine compartment makes the IC plumbing too difficult. Especially, since I don't want to cut into the fenderwells or eliminate The Z's full 3 inch exhaust system. For now, it generates enough horsepower without the IC. But you are correct there is much more power to be had with an IC system. By the way, you have a very fast Z, yourself. That's a lot of power for a turbo six. :-D Hanns

• 2 weeks later...

Once again great set up and welcome to the forum. As for my rear suspension I'll be using a modified 1985 C4 vette suspension front & rear. I'v seen several TT vettes putting out crazy HP and weighing in at several hundred pound more than my car. The suspension seems to handle high HP applications very well. I've been planning this for several years and finally took it off the road to do it. You can check out the pics on the link on my post then go to current vette susp pics. I've done some more work since then and need to update the photos. I'm building mine for some serious road racing and alot of street use too. I'll let you know when I run the Silver State Classic in Nevada. That should be close enough for you to come from CA. Rick

Once again great set up and welcome to the forum. As for my rear suspension I'll be using a modified 1985 C4 vette suspension front & rear. I'v seen several TT vettes putting out crazy HP and weighing in at several hundred pound more than my car. The suspension seems to handle high HP applications very well. I've been planning this for several years and finally took it off the road to do it. You can check out the pics on the link on my post then go to current vette susp pics. I've done some more work since then and need to update the photos. I'm building mine for some serious road racing and alot of street use too. I'll let you know when I run the Silver State Classic in Nevada. That should be close enough for you to come from CA. Rick
Rick,

You have a great looking Z. :-D I especially like the black stripes and the clean engine compartment. Will your Griffin radiator be able to handle the higher heat generated during the Nevada race? How well does it work now?

My Z still uses the stock Z radiator and it tends to heat up more than I would like during full turbo blasts.

I have been interested in attending the Silver State Classic and it would be well worth the trip just to see your Z in the race. Please keep me informed.

Hanns

Hanns, absolutely beautiful work. I just wish i lived closer to see your Z in person. Awesome. BTW, my buddy is in the business selling those valve covers and i could ask him to order you a set with the flames reversed if you wanted. I hope one day i'll have half the patience as you. Very, very nice.

Hanns, absolutely beautiful work. I just wish i lived closer to see your Z in person. Awesome. BTW, my buddy is in the business selling those valve covers and i could ask him to order you a set with the flames reversed if you wanted. I hope one day i'll have half the patience as you. Very, very nice.
Jersey,

Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate the info on the valve covers but I must save my money for new tires (For some strange reason the rubber keeps getting burned off :wink::wink: ) and an aluminum radiator. I want both valve cover breathers at the rear so ,unfortunately, the flames on one cover point forward and backwards on the other one.

Hanns