HybridZ

Raced a WRX

cygnusx1

I own a WRX and a 76 280Z Turbo. Tonight I was out for a little cruise in the Z and happened to come to a red light with straight, open, highway ahead. Next to me was a 2004 WRX. It sounded stock but it had some bling-bling wheels. I always wanted to race my two cars and here was my chance. There was nobody around so we went for it. We both did relatively clean launches and then opened wide. It was EXACTLY neck and neck up to about 70mph where I honked my horn and let off the gas for safety and legal reasons. He threw on the Hazards as a gesture of "thanks for the run". I was running 10psi in the Z without intercooler and everything else stock '83 motor with 100K miles on it. Throw in some curves, a higher speed limit, lawlessness and I may have pulled away....I need to get to the track...I know, I know. :twisted:

nice! good run. those wrx's arent bad stock. some friends of mine have them. al modded WRX's, and one STi.... and thats the one i wanna race once my Z gets rolling under its own power.

he ran a 12.9 bone stock... he's got a boots controller and exhaust now... cant wait to run him

mike

Well my WRX is a Stage 1 meaning it has 265HP at the flywheel. I've also driven my friends STI a few times. My WRX feels a little bit faster than my Z and the STI feels a tiny bit faster than my Stage 1 WRX. I really need to find a peice of road and go back with each car and my G-Tech.

The WRX I raced with the Z tonight was probably stock.

Out of the above three cars, the Z is HANDS DOWN the most fun to drive.

Guest bastaad525

Throw in some curves and he would have whupped your booty, me thinks :D ... WRX takes turns like nobodies business... and you should know! I dont think my Z could outhandle one of those... I'm surprised he didn't get you off the line with the all wheel drive too, but I hear they are pretty laggy unless you launch them real hard (again, you would know). I guess it sounds about right for you two to be just about even... average 280z turbocharged at 10psi will run low 14's, and that's right where the WRX is. I wish I could hit a red light with car like that... so far it's been 'slim pickins' for me, stoplight-race wise. I did get one really good kill on a convertible 350Z, this was before I rebuilt the block and the car was burning oil/smoking like crazy... poor guy had his top down and I'm sure had a big wiff of my super stinky oil burnt exhaust when I dusted him by 2 car lengths by 2nd gear! I'm just dying to catch some riced out honda's though....

wrx's handle ok, but im sure a Z could take them in the turns. a Evo is a different story and a STi is abit better then a reg wrx.

in the dirt its a different story.

stage 1? what parts does that consist of?

my friends wrx had BPM type 3 exhaust (i think it was 3), Turbo XS RFL bov, AEM intake, STi injectors, boost controller, no cats at all, up-pipe, and i think a VF22? i wasnt very big, as he is gonan go even bigger when he gets the FMIC and even bigger injectors... was thinking Turbo XS 650cc's or maybe bigger.

but man i love the sound of the Flat 4.... and the BPM exhaust just sounds the best out of all the exhauts on the WRX that ive heard.

mike

What a failed to mention was that my Z will hold about 0.97g's lateral on perfect asphalt. The Z suspension is dialed. My stock WRX suspension has 17" BBS wheels and good tires but NO WAY will it hold the same G's as my Z. Yes, my WRX's corner exit speeds are phenominal because I can power out of a turn right after entering it! And Yes, the WRX will kick you hard into the seat when launched properly but without practice, it ain't gonna happen.

If the road is wet the Z has NO CHANCE against the WRX. In the snow or dirt......ROFL :lol:

I'll say it again. I ran a 0-60 in my WRX with the A/C on, two people, full tank, lights on, wipers on, in the pouring rain, in 5.7 seconds. Don't try that with your Z.

I use a 2002 TurboXS Stage 1 kit > Magnaflow axle-back, MBC, K&N, Unichip Piggyback ECU buddy. output goes from 227HP to 265HP for $1000

BTW, ON3GO, I never thought I would like that green so much but I luv it!

I met a guy with a WRX at an autox. I was complimenting him on his car, and he asked for a ride in mine. Went through the first dogleg, then it opened up into a wide left sweeper. I punched it going into the sweeper and never let off. His comment: "OOOOOOOOOOOOOH MMMMMYYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD!!!" I never had so much fun at an autox. And that was in the first 10 seconds of the run.

Needless to say, he was impressed...

Jon

I had the opportunity to race a hopped up WRX at the Wendover airport Solo 2. I have been helping a friend install all his parts, so he let me race it. This thing is putting 285 hp to the wheels (upgrade turbo, injectors, turbo back exhaust, intake, up pipe, chip, blow off valve). It sure is quick in a straight line, but i could not get it to handle at the autox. I have taken several 1st places in my 91 300zxtt, so i am an ok driver (still way behind the FTD guys in the club). Anyway, i thought i was just sucking that day (about 5 seconds back from other guys in the class :oops: ), when i got to drive a MINI S prepped for STX :twisted: . I ran 2 fun runs and was within a second of thier times, and 4 to 5 seconds faster than the WRX.

Get to the point- I know

The stock WRX is quick, but handles like an econo car. Put some adjustment in the suspension and im sure it would be awesome.

BTW, my Hybrid 240 handled like crap before i sold the 383 and bought the LT1 to put in it. We will see how it does with the new set up.

I think Smokey has it right. I don't think it was my acceleration alone that freaked the WRX owner out. It was the lateral grip. Granted, my car isn't exactly stock. :D I test drove a WRX when they first came out and was really impressed with the power, but not so much with the handling. It seems that the center of gravity is really high (tall car to start with, lots of glass, 4 door), and driving the front wheels with 50% of the power isn't going to help the pushing problem that the car I drove seemed to have.

Jon

i dunno.. i love the awd system on the wrx... the STi's is pretty cool but i dunno the WRX's is just alot more simpler.

i wish i could launch my Z like my friends scoobys..

mike

Well, I'm not much for the straight line thing, so I really can't dispute that. The one thing I can say is that after owning an Outback wagon, I love Subarus, and I think their AWD system makes a hell of a lot more sense than the old Eclipse system, or the Volvo system. I'm sure I'll own another, hopefully it will be an STI.

The Subaru is almost like a Porsche 911 AWD backwards. Very cool.

Jon

the scoobys system has the same % as a porsche.

40-60 i think.

the awd is by far one of the best, almost as good as the R34 skylines.

its such a light system and STRONG!

the DSM's system is strong but heavy as hell.

mike

when ever I see WRXs run at the local auto-x they are pretty slow. I was shocked the first time I saw one go out. I expected them to get much better times than they did. It wasent just a poor driver either, this is a general impression after seeing 5+ WRXs run. at one auto-x when the corolla and a few civics were running 32s, the 2 WRXs were getting 35s. It blew me away.