HybridZ

Raced a WRX

cygnusx1

The WRX is an Impreza, an econocar, turned into a simulated rally car, it is great for everyday performance driving, I mean rain, potholes, dirt roads, and snow. Off the showroom floor, the WRX is NOT an great Autocrosser, drag racer, road racer or WRC car. OK, maybe it can drag and rally but only because of its AWD system and great key features. What I like about it, is that it's like a Swiss Army Knife of a car. It can do many things depending on what you decide to do with it. With a few mods, you can take it into any arena you choose. It is centered in between all the various types of driving and can go either way. The Z is a bit biased towards asphalt and dry weather. :wink:

Guest Phailure

I also dont think that a WRX has that great of handling at stock. The stock tires are terrible and the stock suspension is very soft. Also, the infamous subaru glass missions make me reluctant to drive it aggressively. *shrug* just my opinion.

the reg WRX has the same tires as a camery.... and man o man they pull some good 60 foots with them.. yeah maybe not for handling but hey it gets the job done.

mike

Two things to be weary of in those cars, Wrx i mean, Sti is beefed up in these areas. 1st gear breaks in those cars, too much hook and boost for it i guess, sti doesnt do that. 2. I think they still run the R160 rear end in them, just scary to me i guess.

Nevertheless, I cant even boost in the rain in any gear or I start going sideways, the wrx can. all around good car, the tranny thing does scare me off those cars though.

Think I would go with the evo over it though, just because of Jackie Chan in that one movie "Who am I", no seriously, Ive actually been under one on a lift before while the clutch was getting changed and its actually not that bad under there, access I mean.

Ive raced a couple of them, very impressive launches i must say from one of them, the other guys thought they could get away with just bogging the car and flooring it on me, and I pulled out on them. The one that launched hard on me got a full car out the hole and I never was able to come back, dangit... oh well. Next season, that arse is mine.....

I just saw a WRX and a supercharged MR2 jump from a dead stop and was not impressed with the WRX. It made some noise and didn't really go anywhere. I haven't driven one so I don't have a real feel, but the kid couldn't drive I guess. the MR2 waxed it.

Guest scottjuly79

I raced a brand new STi at the local drag strip (elevation 24ft.) He ran a 13.5 at 99MPH a ran 13.2 at around 111mph. If his MPH would have been where I would have expected it too (103-104mph) than I would have said that it was due to a poor driver/launch, but from what I understand no matter how bad your launch is the mph will always be realatively the same =-1mph. which leads me too believe that these cars must be way down from the advertised horsepower, is it possible that the particular vehicles tested in Car and Driver ect... could have been hand built "ringers".

PS. yes the driver said that he was using the intercooler sprayer!

Guest bastaad525

I dunno I thought the stock WRX handled pretty nicely :shock: I know every magazine that reviewed it, that I read, felt it handled very well... Though not so much that it had a ton of grip, actually most magazines said it was too easy to get the tires slipping, but that it was so easy to control the cars direction that this wasn't a problem and ended up making it all the more fun to drive, though not as fast as say a Mitsu EVO which tends to just keep the tires planted all the time. I guess that means it's not such a great handler, but at least, it's a car that is not easily lost control of.

So stock 240's handled like crap??? I wonder what my is capable of, number wise... just a basic suspension setup (tokico shocks, eibach pro kit springs, decent street tires) but after reading that I have a feeling it's not capable of much :(

I was being a little sarcastic there Bastaad. The 240 always had good handling, but it was good for the day. A stock 240 could whip on MG's and Triumphs, as others have noted. A stock 240 will have its ass handed to it by most sports cars today. Go to an autox and you'll see what I mean. A stock Miata or M3 will BLOW AWAY a stock 240. It's not even fair to try and compare them, really.

They are in different classes because of this fact. But, you do some poly bushings, stiffer springs, good shocks, sway bars, lower profile tires (back then stock was like 87 series, I think) and now it handles much better. Not to mention all of that stuff is way past worn out on a 30 year old car if it hasn't already been replaced.

Don't get all hung up on what the stock Z did. Just figure yours out. Get the GTech, go to some driving schools. Get some GOOD TIRES! You'll be happy.

Jon

I've autocrossed a WRX a few times and they are good handling cars, but you drive them in a much more aggressive style then you would any other car. Friends of mine have run a WRX in the local Cal Club STX class for a couple years now are are generally in the top 3 every event. I helped them sort out the car with some suspension mods.

To get a WRX around an autocross course quickly that car had to be driver hard, really hard. The throttle is critical and you don't feather it, you just stomp on it after pitching the car into a corner. If I drove my 240Z the same way I would be everywhere but on the course.

I was out the other night messing around in the z and came across a little pack of cars that were cruising. In the front of the pack were two 'rex's. One blue with a BIG frontmount, exhaust etc, the other black with mods as well. I weaved my way in and made a few pulls with the black one(the lesser modded) He wasn't crazy fast, but he definetely pulled away from me. If you saw my post, I ran a 13.9 the next day, so I'm guessing this one was about 13.5 or so. I did see the blue one take on the black one and the blue one just WALKED him.

Anyways that night I did kill a '04 Mustang gt(twice) and a S2000. Good times . . . Yeah . . . Good times

nice! good run. those wrx's arent bad stock. some friends of mine have them. al modded WRX's' date=' and one STi.... and thats the one i wanna race once my Z gets rolling under its own power.

he ran a 12.9 bone stock... he's got a boots controller and exhaust now... cant wait to run him

mike[/quote']Is you motor stroked?

nice! good run. those wrx's arent bad stock. some friends of mine have them. al modded WRX's' date=' and one STi.... and thats the one i wanna race once my Z gets rolling under its own power.

he ran a 12.9 bone stock... he's got a boots controller and exhaust now... cant wait to run him

mike[/quote']Is you motor stroked?

no why?

Guest bastaad525
Anyways that night I did kill a '04 Mustang gt(twice) and a S2000. Good times . . . Yeah . . . Good times

I find SO much fun from handing S2000 owners their ass. Those car's really aren't that fast, they look it, and CAN be fast if the driver really knows how to get the most out of it.... I'd hate to go up against one on a twisty road, but man from a light they suck. I just view the S2000 as the epitome of all things I find distasteful (i.e. Hondas) well okay they ARE nice looking cars and they handle frigging awesome... but the people that drive them think their in a Ferrari or something (with all the smugness that usually comes with that). I humiliated one of those on the freeway onramp the other day ... man I was grinning the whole way home.

well about the S2000... they dont suck at all.. not one bit...

they arent ment for drag racing or racing from a roll.. its about getting around a road course fast, and it does it VERY well.

its never ment to be really "driven" below Vtec, and on a track you never really going slow or not trying to be in your power band..

and if you have ever launched one you will relize its off and on.. you either get it right or dont.. just plan out hard to do.

either you bog, or light the tires up.

now there were a few S2K's in tampa that were pretty modded up and saw them run 12's and 11's all day, spanking everything and anything on the road... they were good drivers too.

still, you cant just say the cars suck because one couldnt hang with you from a stop light.

mike

Guest bastaad525
still, you cant just say the cars suck because one couldnt hang with you from a stop light.

Um.. I didn't.. I'm not in any way implying they are a sucky car in general, I quote myself: "but man from a light they suck", and you seem to agree, they are not easy to get going fast from a dead stop, but I also gave them credit for exactly what they are good at, being GREAT handling cars, that CAN be fast from a light if the person driving them knows what they're doing. As for why they annoy me so much, is that many of the people who buy them (that I'VE run into, at least) are the typical wannabe drag racing riced out honda crowd who just happened to aim a little higher than getting a civic, that same rice mentality, always revving at the light, ready to go, and as you yourself stated, these cars were not meant for drag racing. I didn't think the car sucked when I 'beat' that guy coming up the onramp... I thought it was funny because he thought he was just going to pass me so easily (and subsequently cut me off as the onramp narrowed to one lane) because you know... he's driving such a FAST car and I'm driving some old piece of junk, right? I think the owners attitude sucked. So I found it amusing.