HybridZ

Removing spindles from struts HELP

Uh, are you talking about removing the front spindle from the strut? If so, then no is the answer. If you are talking about removing the rear strut from the control arm, then use the spindle pin puller mentioned.

I have actually heard of a guy with a 510 who wanted Toyota P/U (2wd not 4wd) front brakes, so he cut off the spindle, welded in a 1/2" spacer, and welded on the Toyota spindle. That is the scariest mod I've ever heard of. He was driving on it for years, though.

Jon

have actually heard of a guy with a 510 who wanted Toyota P/U (2wd not 4wd) front brakes, so he cut off the spindle, welded in a 1/2" spacer, and welded on the Toyota spindle

How would this be different from the practice of sectioning the strut tube, say on the bottom half of the tube, as some on this forum have done. It would seem to be a viable alternative provided the design between the two were similar in that the lower control arm continued to provide some lateral support in the immediate area of the spindle itself. If I'm not mistaken, Datsun slipped the spindle onto the bottom of the strut tube and then welded them together only at the bottom, under the strut tube boss.

Somehow I expect that Nissans method for welding was superior to some guy in his garage with a mig welder. Nissan probably uses a friction weld like the ones used on axle flanges. The spacer is kinda suspect too. I heard this whole thing second hand, but supposedly the guy had just went to the local steel supply place and got some 1/2" bar stock, cut it to the right length, turned it to make it round, and welded it on. That would be a hell of a lot of welding for a fillet weld, in 2 spots right next to each other.

Sectioning a strut is far less dangerous IMO. Even if the strut housing were to break at the weld, and I have a hard time imagining how that would happen, the wheel and brakes would not fall off!!! If anything there would be some clunking going over bumps that would very quickly alert someone to the problem.

Maybe I am overly cautious, but I won't weld a spindle on myself.

Jon

I pulled the strut and control arm out together and brought them to a shop with a hydralic press. Remember to remove the wedge pin that keeps the spindle pin from turning first.

You can whale on it as much as you like with a sledge, but you probably won't get it out. The press, or the removal tool will save the spindle pins.

Pete

I had a 260 that I put a spindle puller tool on, with heat and penetrating oil for weeks. They never budged. I gave up after the threads were sheared right off the spindles by the puller tool. The next step was to take put a sawsall to the pins in the gap between the strut and the a-arm ......

Be sure and put anti-sieze on those new pins ....

After going nuts with beating and soaking to get the pin out I bought a 12 ton press from Harbour Freight for $125 and pressed it out. Then I went ahead and replaced all my bearings, pressing old ones off-new ones in. Getting that work done at a shop would have cost me the price or more of the press and now I have another tool for future needs.

Yea, it's great to have the right tool for the job. I spent years trying to rig, fanangle, coax, manuver, improvise, etc. on projects to "save money"

but when thinking back to all the time, headaches, poor results, mangled parts, I not sure I saved much. I adopted the policy of just buying the tools as needed. The job turns out better and goes faster. And when you're a car guy, you'll end up needing the tool again or a buddy will.

Hey Z8 maybe I could come over an use your press in a week or so. I am supposed to sell the stub axles and mustache bar to another member and meet him in columbus I could press the stubs off at the same time and then deliver them. Heck maybe we could meet at your place. That would be really cool If I cant accomplish this in my driveway.

Phillip... that is so true :lol: . Took the words right out of my mouth. You know I'm happy that I have this project of mine' date=' because I have bought so many new, fun tools to play with. It's great!

!M![/quote']

heh if it wasnt for my Z project i woulda never realized how much school was holding me back, now i have a career in fabrication and i hope to open a small manufacturing shop in a few months time, ive truely found what i love to do. so if you guys want some custom parts manufactured let me know :) -pete