HybridZ

Today I discovered SELF TOSSING SALAD

auxilary

or, how I just found a baby cockroach in my chinese food at this place called UME chinese food in San Jose on Skyport st. I am eating the salad, bring up the fork, and notice something with mobility on it. I bring up the fork to the woman working the counter, hold it up, and say "Would you like to rectify this problem?"

her: "you want new fork?"

now I'm agitated, and loudly I say (and there's a line of about 15 people waiting to order) "NO, I WANT A NEW FORK THAT DOESN'T HAVE A BEETLE ON IT."

People in the line start getting grossed out. Guy next to me is ordering salad, I look at him and say "you really don't want to order that, you might get extra flavor!"

The woman goes "what you want me to do?"

me: "Give me a refund, wash your salad in the future, and I'll never set foot in here again."

"OK"

As I walk past the counter to the end, where the director of my dept and a manager are getting their food. They ask me what the complaint is. I tell them bluntly "There was a bug on my fork. I'm getting my money back." Manager replies with "Hey, it's just extra protein!"

So, got a chuckle out of me, and a loss of apetite for the 3 of us. We didn't finish our meals. I paid $5.50 for lunch, got $7, after ingesting some bugs I don't know about.

And the guy from the line I showed the infested fork to was eating his chinese chicken salad as we were leaving... So yeah, stay away from UME.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Way back when I was with my ex-gf, we went to a restaurant and had the same thing happen. The manager looked at us like we were freaks for complaining and said "Our salad is FRESH!". So I told the assistant manager (who has seen me there MANY times) that I would never be returning. He told me he would do the same if that happened and that was that.

forgive my sick mind, but i thought something COMPLETELY different when i saw the title of this thread..... :oops:

this kind of thing happens to us way too often at my restaurant. it's the vendor's fault.... even though we wash whatever comes in, it's a head of lettuce... you can't get everything. :(

it's all about how the place handles it. i have personally bought everyone's dinner that came to me with this complaint and usually they still leave with a smile. i know i'd be pissed if that ever happened to me, but i'd feel alot better if i got the idea that the place that served the food actually cared about it.

it's all about how the place handles it. i have personally bought everyone's dinner that came to me with this complaint and usually they still leave with a smile.

You're 100% right. Getting bugs in your salad is inevitable. Beef has gristle, oysters have pearls, and lettuce has bugs. It's a fact of life. And if the incident is not treated with sensitivity by the manager, the restaurant can (and probably will) lose a lifetime customer, as well as having the name of his establishmen denigrated by the customer to everyone he knows. Negative advertising, as it were.

I'm sorry you got a bug in your food, Aux. Maybe it will make you feel better to know that you probably eat lots of bugs in your daily life. IIRC, the federal government allows something like 14 bug parts in an 8 oz glass of orange juice, and a similar number of bugs and rat hairs in a serving of peanut butter. But most are ground up so fine you'd never know the difference. And that blackberry you ate last summer fresh off the vine? The one that was a little saltier than the rest? Yep, that was a bug too. And on a different yet related subject, shall we discuss what's in sausages and (even worse) wieners and bologna?

Food's not very appetizing, when you think about it. (Hey, where's the *barf* emoticon???)

oh, i know. but replies like "You want new fork?" doesn't exactly satisfy me. If I was the manager, i'd say "How about we cover lunch for you and your friends, your pick of new meals?" The difference is that I'm aware of the bug/rat parts per certain grain quota, but it's already dead and cooked, not like and sprawling moving its legs in midair at me

Very very true. You should've seen what happened to a mitsubishi dealer when they declined a winning bid sale to a customer on ebay. Word spread ALL over the internet, and there were THOUSANDS of people calling, and 10s of thousands reading about it. In 2 days the thread had 106 pages. Mitsubishi USA received tons of complaints

i saw that too... i wonder if they're even still open?

if you're going to try to make a living selling anything to anyone... the first thing you have to understand is that your primary job is to make them happy. you won't last long, but you can polish turds and sell them if you have a clue how to make people feel good about the way you do business.

Guest BigWhyteDude

well at least you know the letuce was fresh :lol:

My mom bought a loaf of white break from a grocery store here.When we opened it there was a whole rat that was pressed into the loaf AND where ever the slicer cut the bread it made thin slicese of rat as well :puke: It was discgusting,

Andrew

well at least you know the letuce was fresh

My mom bought a loaf of white break from a grocery store here.When we opened it there was a whole rat that was pressed into the loaf AND where ever the slicer cut the bread it made thin slicese of rat as well It was discgusting,

:puke::puke:

You should've seen what happened to a mitsubishi dealer when they declined a winning bid sale to a customer on ebay. Word spread ALL over the internet, and there were THOUSANDS of people calling, and 10s of thousands reading about it. In 2 days the thread had 106 pages. Mitsubishi USA received tons of complaints

If any of you have been following this, apparently the dealer recently said they would give it to the guy for the winning bid's price, and now the homo doesnt even want it after complaining to everyone about it. He said, "With input from my family and friends, I reversed my decision to buy the ebay Evo. I simply decided I might be happier with this completely behind me. "

:roll:

the dealership received enough damage for screwing up on their part. He basically rubbed their noses in it, and pulled a reversal on them. Now he backed out of the deal. I don't think I'd want THAT evo either, I can't imagine what the dealership could've done to it to sabotage it.