HybridZ

Megasquirt

pamos

I see alot of post for megasquirt also. I would really like to see pictures. I am wondering what all the hype is about. I understand it's cheap. That is a plus. I would like to see one good write up from someone that has installed this system. :idea::?:

Let me be the first to reply. The megasquirt unit is easy to build if you have some basic know how in soldering electronics. If you know the difference between a resistor and a capacitor than you are more than haveway there. But keep in mind that it is not a bolt on system. You will need to make a custom wiring loom and if you are converting from carb (like I did) you will also need to do a lot of fabricating. I used a intake manifold of a 280zx and used a throttlebody of a Fiero because it has the right TPS.

The tuning part is not more difficult than any other aftermarket EFI system. I even suspect it is a lot easier than some. I tuned the car while driving on the street. I have allmost 10.000 miles on the MS system right now and it has worked flawlessly. Fuel consumption is about 10.5 km on 1 liter of petrol. (you do the math :wink: ). And I measured about 140 hp at the wheels without a well tuned top end. This was measured with a roaddyno.

I uploaded a picture off the unit itself. I'm sory but I don't have pictures off it in the car. It's in my personal gallary

overall I am very happy with the system. Would I use the system again? definitely. The only thing I will put more time in next time is the wiring loom. It is easy to forget some wires here and there. So Plan ahead and make a schematic of all the wiring. Dont forget stuff like the heating for the lamba probe. I did.

If you are using a mechanical ignition advance system on your datsun You can keep it stock. But if you have a ECM controlled system you might want to consider going to megasquirt&spark right away. This is a expansion on the megasquirt system where you don't have to change anything to the stock megasquirt computer. Mobyvan will probably inform you about that.

Good luck

Yes you are entitled to your own opinion! As I am entitled to mine.

But it seems you missed the boat on my reply. I noticed you and your pal are on all the post which has to do with megasquirt. I would like to see someone else post. Someone else who can read what I asked for. I asked for pictures and serious responses. Not someone who is always pushing a product. Sounds like a sales pitch to me. :?:

Sounds like your question was answered as asked. Why the hostility? Not many on this board have running examples of MS. I have built the board, but not installed it.

You tact is unecessarily confrontational, and you will likely not get many responses to your queries if it keeps up.

Tim

I have to agree... what more do you want them to say man? I am curious about this mega squirt thing too, but I didn't take those posts as someone's sales pitch... just some good info, and an answer to your question..

As for my question; I am in Canada and I am really interested in using a MS system in my 75 280z... But what is the thing gona cost me? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure here...I would probly get the spark 'expansion' (?) cause I have a crappy dual point electrical dizzy right now, and a failing AFM. Im just looking for a rough cost (MS + spark kit, tps and other sensors I'd need, ect) and what I'd need to order off the web site. I found it a little confusing to understand... I already have the FI, so I figured it wouldn't take too much to install this thing, and I believe have the skils to do it.... Can you guys shed some light for me?

Thanks

I'll answer the pricing question. Typical install runs $200 to $300 depending on whether or not you buy the stimulator and relay boards. Price also varies a little depending on the sensors that you run. BTW, 20 percent of that goes directly to me because I own stock in MegaSquirt. :roll: I would have to say that the most confusing thing is figuring out how to order the parts. There is no spark kit. You just build megasquirt then download new code to it. I have to go look back through the order process to answer the rest of your question, I'll get back to you on that.

As for pamos, I realize that I push megasquirt a lot. I have been accused of thinking it is the best thing since sliced bread. Why do I like it so much??? Same reason everyone else does, its cheap. Its a trade off of price versus functions. It does not provide sequential injection or knock detection or coil on spark plug ignition or wideband oxygen sensor, but if you get a computer that does your in the $1500 price range. But it provides a lot of functions and will teach you a lot about tuning and EFI. I won't get into a grade school argument with anyone, there are plenty of other forums for that on the net.

You want some serious answers, ask me some serious questions. You want pictures of MS installed? It is an aluminum box with a cable coming out one end. The official MS website has pictures of the board where you can see the resistors, capacitors and processor. What exactly do you want to know about isntalling it??

I'll dare you to ask intelligent questions and try to learn.

I don't have the MS installed yet, I just have it running on the stim, so no pics of the unit installed, I do have these pics of mine assembled, I threw this page together a while back to share an alternate case I found....

http://www.jasonjarvis.com/mscase.html

I don't think I hav $150 in what I have so far. Add a 240SX throttle body to get a real TPS, convert to a GM coolant sensor and add an IAT sensor (around $30 each for sensors and pigtails I think) and do some wiring. I don't see why you couldn't do it for $300 or so, as long as you can do the work yourself, I plan to completely rewire mine and convert to Bosch domestic style injectors, so that will run a lot more.

I'm sorry I don't have more concrete answere to your questions, but I felt the need to post, since I haven't much on this topic before. Personally I feel the MS is a very worthwile project, it has allowed me to learn more about electronics and EFI, and the style of the project appeals to my open-source side.

One thing to keep in mind, anything you do in preparation for the MS, wiring, sensor / throttle body conversion etc, will also work with any other aftermarket EFI system. Point is, even if MS doesn't work out for you, you haven't wasted much time or money outside of the kit itself

Ok, so you program the main chip, send it to me (along with the rest of the components/caps/resistors/ect) and then I down load new code to it and it will run my ignition system along with the FI? I am curious how this works... Would it run a 280zx dizzy (with the box on the side) or would I need to program it spesifically for that? (or build another control box or something?) BTW I have NO programing skils! :? I really am interested in this, but don't quite know what I need (stimulator, boards?)

I was wondering what sensors I will need as well. I want to start pricing things here to get a rough idea. I hear it's programed to work with GM sensors, and I can probly get them from a local dealer, but need to know what parts to ask for! Thanks alot man. Sorry if this is annoing you!

I'll add my name to the list of "Megasquirters". Installing a setup modeled off the great and all powerful Mobythevans latest spark-n-squirt post (thanks for the stickie!)

I really suggest you go to the site and cruise around Pamos, and you will see how seriously foolish you look making the statement that it sounds like someone pushing a product.

This is called "word of mouth"! Go to the yahoo forums site and watch the record of monthly site traffic, and you will see that it is a user-supported device.

Everybody there helps everybody else simply because most of us have been around since V1.0, and have watched the bugs get debugged, watched more come up, and watch them get solved by everybody pitching in. It is this camaraderie that leads to the EVANGELICAL FERVOR of those involved with the systems. There are plenty of writups and photos in the MS galleries on their sites. The one that sticks out in my mind is a Green and White VW Microbus that resides in Long Beach CAlifornia AND HAS PASSED CA SMOG TESTING!

You want a enthusiastic supporter, TALK TO THAT GUY! :D

There are people in the UK IMP club talking how they were at a car show doing brodies on the tarmac, causing quite a stir in the Sumbeam and Hillman community. Soon after his little display ther was a flood of Imp owners buying MS for their little cars.

And then there's Rick Yaocucci, who on his homebuilt Megasquirt has set countless Land Speed Records in his Turbo-Busa Motored Streamliner (which has been timed at Bonnevill at over 300mph!)

Yeah, if it can support 619HP at 10,500rpm on a 1350CC Busa Motor, it think it will work JUST FINE on my desired output in the 300HP range form an engine almost 2.5 times as large.

This Project has been an open and free exchange of information from day one. See if you get that from you local Electromotive, Motec, or Haltech distributor.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted in awhile, work has been a real bitch lately. I have been successfully running MS now for probably 2,000 miles. Would be more if I hadn't had a little 23psi boost spike trying to use a Hallman valve and broke the ring land on #1.

If you have a brain at all (and know how to use it), you can build and install the MS. Yes, there will be some questions, don't be afraid to ask! There is a great instruction manual (AND IT'S FREE!) on how to build and install the MS.

Would I do it again? Many times over! I have actually been considering putting one on my '95, 5.9ltr. Ram and see just how limited it came from the factory.

I haven't had time to experiment any more with getting MSS working, but hope to start on that in the spring. I have been busy with just getting the car together, still have a lot of loose ends if you know what I mean!

Here's a pic of my friend Kenny when we were working on MSS. And you wonder why we didn't get it working?

MVC-320F.jpg

Thank you Jason Jarvis for the picture and info. :?

Well, I hope it helps ease your mind some at least. You should be able to tell, since I have been a member here for 3 years, and my posts are not yet out of the teens, I don't spend a lot of time sucking up or stroking egos. I had not yet at the time I wrote the message above even read the install guide that MobytheVan has put together. I hope you will take this as an unbiased opinion, I am quite impressed with what he has done, he obviously has been involved with the MS project far longer than I have, and has accomplished much more than I, I think he is doing a good thing by sharing his information with the Z community. As someone noted above, I think that fervor is easily mistaken for marketing sometimes.

I did forget one major component as I sleepily typed last night, you will need an O2 sensor, which will cost a bit extra in a first gen because you will need to have a boss for it welded on. I still think the $300 range is valid though.

Jason

Guest jjohart

Uh, I initially thought that mega-squirt was actually that water spray system that is on current Mitsu Evos, where the water somehow makes a cooling spray of some sort going with the intercooler or something! Can anyone clarify what that is, whether it can be done with 280ZXT's and is it just a joy button or serious thing for boost, etc?

Also, can someone get the H20 out of my head and tell me what liquid has to do with the apparent system y'all are chewing each other on or off about? I don't get the basic principle, and with an 83 ZXT, I am assuming it is of no benefit to my "later" car, eh?

John-Boston, getting intercooled in the snow this weerkend!

Boyd, those pictures are great. I don't think I have had that many bottles stacked on my car yet, but there is always hope. :D

datsunlover, your questions don't annoy me. I wouldn't have spent the time to write up the install document if I didn't want people to ask questions. I am not trying to sidestep your questions but make sure you look at this link for ordering

http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt/bom.htm

It has the easiest to follow instructions on ordering everything you need to build the MS unit.

Also, go to the megasquirt FAQ website and download the MegaManual.

http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt/MS%20FAQ.htm

Read through the manual sections about the sensors. It gives the part numbers for the GM sensors that you can use for coolant, intake air temp, oxygen sensor. Then you can price out those parts.

If you still don't find what you need in those two links let me know.

Uh' date=' I initially thought that mega-squirt was actually that water spray system that is on current Mitsu Evos, where the water somehow makes a cooling spray of some sort <snip> I don't get the basic principle, and with an 83 ZXT, I am assuming it is of no benefit to my "later" car, eh?

John-Boston, getting intercooled in the snow this weerkend![/quote']

Actually the water spray system is just that, it sprays water (or windsheild wiper fluid in this case I think) onto the intercooler to cool the air charge, thus enhancing the intercoolers efficiency. I haven't heard that it is much benefit on the street, but rally cars use it.

MegaSquirt is a fuel injection system, it would be a benefit to your 280ZXT in that it is user programmable, and you *could* update to more modern / common components for sensors and injectors.....

Jason

I realize that most people just don't have the time to spend reading a lot on the internet. But still if you are interested in megasquirt go here

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Read the faq by Lance. It will answer most of the questions asked above.

and pamos If my signature is bothering you just say so. I thought it was just a funny line but if it bothers people I will remove it.

he obviously has been involved with the MS project far longer than I have

I just wanted to reply to this because the truth should be known. 10 months ago my plan was to build a V8 240z with a carb'd 400hp small block chevy. I didn't know anything really about turbos or EFI. Then things changed by chance because I bought another 240z and happened onto a turbo L28 in the junkyard. In the last 10 months I did the turbo L28 swap and now installed megasquirt. The reason I got it to work was with the help of this group and countless hours of reading posts, FAQs, and user groups. I can't tell you guys how much I have learned about turbo engines and EFI. Like several other people have said, you don't have to know all of this to jump in and try it. You will learn the rest along the way.

The forum is pretty funny because it adds the little title based on number of posts. So Jason is just a junior member and I'm senior. And the secret is I don't really know anything, don't tell anyone.

and pamos If my signature is bothering you just say so. I thought it was just a funny line but if it bothers people I will remove it.

I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Ha, I wondered why pamos replied the way he did about opinions. Not that anything is wrong with your sig, but it just didn't make sense to me.