HybridZ

Do you know how to set up a booth environment in a garage?

THUNDERZ

I did what that guy did in that link posted above. I only painted my engine bay like that. Just make sure that you get as much dust as possible out of the booth! I didnt and now I have some dust in my engine bay paint :oops:

I am either going to do this again when I paint the entire car or Im going to try to get my brother to get all the crap out of his garage so that we can use the paint booth in there! It is an actual paint booth so I really really want to do it there. He used to paint cars on the side but now he is try to get out of it for health reasons. If I cant then Im going to spend the extra money and build a really nice booth in the garage even if it is temporary. Oh and that little box fan that he has(in the link above) is not going to pull enough air out of that booth. I used a huge azz HVAC blower fan and that seemed to work pretty good.

Guy

A box fan like that isn't safe as he pointed out. Ideally you should use one (or more) with a sealed motor so it can't ignite any fumes. Also be very careful about your lighting, two painters died at the place I used to work when they bumped a work light, it dropped busting the bulb and blew 'em up.

Guest freakypainter

why dont you guys check with your local paint supply stores, in almost every town,city,etc, there will be a body shop that rents their paint booth out to do it yourselfers on the weekends, usually for around $100.

I did my own booth with PVC pipe frames and lots of blue tarp all the way around. If I had to do it again, I'd rent a booth...

smys30z-02-0407body-07.jpg

It's just too much trouble constructing it, easy to clean tho, just spray water on the walls and floor. I used two box fans blowing in, figured it be safer than having them blow out for the reasons mentioned above.

Owen

I did a Camaro with a booth exactly like Mike KZ did. I would recommend more fans if you are using a siphon feed gun like I was. Be sure to wear a respirator also. When I was done my clear plastic wasn't clear anymore and my hair was red. The booth did work well for keeping things clean outside the garage and the car came out really nice. I used furnace filters on the inlet fans as well as the outlet vents. I had to change the outlet vents three time in the process of my paint job. Building the booth was time comsuming, if you are only going to paint one car rent a booth.

If you are not concerned with getting over spray over the yard (or the neighbor’s belongings :) ) then I recommend leaving one entire side (the side facing the open garage door) of the booth completely open. Put the fan at the front of the booth so it blows filtered air (from the house interior) into the booth.

The fan will not handle any paint fumes so it’s safer and the filters will not clog up. This also allows you to build a slightly cheaper booth.

This is what I did and it worked OK. I took a photo of my booth and I will try to locate it for posting. I used wood because I can always find something to do with the leftovers.

BTW, If you have a gas water heater in your garage, be sure to shut off the gas before painting.