HybridZ

"I'm back in the saddle again!", MML's Ross C home

Howdy buds! Well I'm FINALLY done (last day is tomorrow) what's been a very exhausting 10 mos. long construction project. It's meant a commitment that hasn't allowed me to complete the R&D on the MML side I've wanted. On the flipside it was very good for my career, the project came in on time and under budget (45M job)

I'm even writing this from my construction trailer/webmail/laptop to take a break from completing my final few hours of paperwork that'll wrap up tomorrown and then it's production craze onwards!

All typical webshop packages have still been flying out, I've set up some very cool rides this past year all over the continent via the web! We're very proud of some inroads we've made internationally this past year. So many fine rides in this forum and yet it still surprises me how many extraordinary rides exist we never see or hear about outside the forum until I get the inquiry and the joy of working with these owners referred typically by forum members.

I haven't had time to surf hybridz at all and truly miss this 'home' I frequented so much in the past. HUGE thanks to the ongoing support of friends/customers over the last year including their support when I was truly exhausted from the extensive daily grind.

I've got a break now before I get back into my daytime engineering work and during this period some new MML products will be rolling out of which I'm VERY excited about. Prototypes/engineering/head scratching between a few engineer friends and myself has been ongoing for months with a good timeslug at once required to wrap these up and put them in your hands! (yes rear control arms progressing :-D )I'm SO excited about finally getting to this point (I was supposed to be done on this dayjob 3-4 mos. ago but they wouldn't let go!).

I'll be posting more details very shortly as well as participating once again in this fine place. I see many new active members which brings a huge smile to my face, this place still appears very much to be a candid open minded discussion forum loaded with tech savvy posters I enjoyed so much previously!

Back to wrapping up my paperwork to ensure tomorrow is my last day, just had to say hi and look forward to hanging out again :wink:

Congrats Ross! If you have time' date=' (and are allowed to discuss) what kind of project did you have going on?

Rufus[/quote']

Thanks for the warm welcome home guys (warm fuzzies around :-D )

Jackstand racing is a VERY kewl name :wink: I'll have to check out more of what's behind that (or drop me a direct email).....here's some project info on what obsessed me for the last 10 mos. (perhaps you're not aware I have a hard time with short answers on occasion, that anal engineering aspect wanting to be complete :roll: , perhaps that's why I'm not done my wrap up paperwork!)

Brief project intro here on a web that they never got to maintaining once it was underway.

http://www.bchydro.com/info/distribution/distribution3474.html

Their are two existing 230kV power supplies to downtown Vancouver, BC, Canada, of which both are somewhat aged and not seismically sound. This new 230 kV power supply is intended to provide a reliable power source to downtown Vancouver, BC. I learned constantly as utilities are something I typically try and avoid and this project was loaded with working in/around and thru existing services (fiber/tunnels/water/gas etc etc). Once this new circuit is energized the cables have an operating temperature of 60-80 degrees Celsius! Many design aspects had very little to due with civil properties and were more directly related to electrical/thermal properties, this was an eyeopener, even the concretes/backfills used were all designed for specific thermal properties. Crossing other sources of heat (ie. steam pipes supplying downtown) led to the requirement of alternate cooling solutions (vs. typical 'engineeered soil heat sink') which were quite challenging and are still being monitored.

The engineering firm I work for (not BC Hydro) was initially responsible for ensuring the 230 kV ductbank was located within non-liquefiable soil stratums. I got involved at the very start of construction full time on a 45m long 1.5m ID tunnel to allow the ductbank to pass under the Trans Canada Highway (Hwy. 1), now that's hard on hamstrings walking that regularly! Initially my role was as P. Eng. Geotechnical engineer but this then changed dramatically and called upon some of my prior skillsets in construction engineering/management. I was then also the designated owner's rep onsite managing the contractor, QA/QC, liase and team with designers as required for on site changes, localized property owners liason as required (thankfully this typically went to the communications rep ), and all liasing with utilities-municipality services we constantly crossed. It was a fastrack project which is not typical of that owner so they're very pleased with the results. There was only one other onsite (owner's overall construction manager) and myself that were involved from start to finish of all civil works. The 9 km overall length was split into 5 sections of which I was involved in all 5. Just this past Tuesday the last 200 m of some 27 km's of cable (3 phase 230 kV over a 9km length, so 3 cables each of 9km's in length once splicing is complete) was pulled into the ductbank just completed, a very rewarding day!

Enough babbles, hope that answered your q, if not let me know, q's always welcome:)

Pre-cast concrete manholes (approximately 9m by 4m) will be placed intermittently along the route to contain cable splices, as is it not possible to install continuous cables for the entire length of the circuit.

Now that is a big manhole. :shock: Very cool stuff Ross. I've project managed and estimated a wide variety of commercial construction projects since 1985 but have never been involved in anything like that. Thanks for sharing.

Now that is a big manhole. :shock:

Yes, largest precast MH's in BC history dropped into place (joint at midline, one top and one bottom0. Speaking of holes...errr no, the route was aligned along some streets with 'the least social impact' which involved a few km's of very sleazy areas with everything rolled in. Some smaller holes made us skip lunch for the day!

Thanks for the cross link Pete:)

Davy's still got his charm and flattery mode on :wink: , works!

I wrapped up yesterday late and am hard at work on MML today!

Until a product update coming shortly, save your pennies and send your ideas (any!)to me:) I just love this engineering, some ongoing teamwork at present is really turning my crank!

• 3 weeks later...

Update:)

OEM Z31 spec Aluminum Hubs Available!

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=220800#220800

all the function with some holiday weight loss (the 'see aluminum' diet works better than the 'sea food' diet :wink: )

In a nutshell they're round overall, have identical front and rear geometry for rotor/wheel placement (I have many customers running 5lug fronts with zero spacers on Z31 hubs). More details above.

Z31 CV adaptors AND R230 CV adaptors in queue at CNC shop :) Z31's have been out a while with slow feedback coming back since last spring/summer? All details known and being made available mainstream. For the R230 adaptors, they'll include at a minimum the R230 flange adaptor to the flange style CV joint, CV internal stop to allow ideal CV shaft travel/geometry (yes, geometry nailed down :wink: ). Shafts may be included as well, finalizing details at present. Front/rear mounts are not in the works at present, anyone particularly liking their own setup we may look at replicating it if you're interested and may want another part of ours in lieue or similar......

Xtreme rear brakes forthcoming shortly:) They'll match our front Xtreme setup to a T! Retain ebrake etc etc......whole nine yards and cake at the finish line :wink:

Nite.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Hey Ross, I dont think I ever talked to you before, but I might be interested in some of your parts. I tried going to your site but it is timing out right now...

Refresh my memory, what kind of suspension parts do you have for front suspension? My front suspension was torn off of my Z in an accident and I was thinking of replacing it with a nice aftermarket setup. So I guess the question is... watchagot? :D

Hey Ross' date=' I dont think I ever talked to you before, but I might be interested in some of your parts. I tried going to your site but it is timing out right now...

Refresh my memory, what kind of suspension parts do you have for front suspension? My front suspension was torn off of my Z in an accident and I was thinking of replacing it with a nice aftermarket setup. So I guess the question is... watchagot? :D[/quote']

Nic, not sure if we've rattled keys or not. Our front and rear control arms/tc rods are a new line for us. We placed the priority on the rear arms for which prototypes are being completed within 2 weeks and installed/tested promptly thereafter. Fronts are being initiated quite shortly (design's in hand/timeline won't be very long) and will follow with the TC rods.

Prior to our new control arm/TC rods incoming we've had the custom coilover and strut setups available for some time. I've got my own set of custom camber/caster upper plates on my 280ZX (unique to ZX's) but haven't gotten to listing on the web or doing a machining run.

We're always open to new ideas if you see a need for something else. Please email us directly as we find it the easiest manner in which to discuss ideas and properly recall our discussions (can't itemize forum lists/posts but I can emails!).

Many builders think they'll require fullly adjustable custom like suspensions but once they install the larger diameter wheels/tires of today's setups they often find their OEM like adjustments have suited their needs for street /highway setups. For those I suggest setting up your coilovers/rims/tires/struts/ride height and then getting an alignment to see where they're at and where they'd like to be, if very different then the full on custom like approach is most warranted.

hey Ross, quick question. do you sell just coilover springs?

i already have your 225 front and 250 rear 8inch springs, but im thinking of putting the 250 to the front and put 300's on the rear.

thanks

mike

Sure Mike, drop me a direct email. I believe you have the address :D:wink: Can't wait to hear of some driving experiences from you (if I missed them point me to them). You'll be moving toward having a very stiff 'hop' like rear experience from a start with that stiff of a rear......at speed acceleration is OK but slower/starts is a different animal. Whats leading you to 300 rears?

FWIW, 250 lb/in starts approaching the limits of the Tokico line of struts from my experience. A jump above that but the 375's I so enjoyably ran on my front stressed out my own Illumina's/pricey detail to learn! I didn't follow up with Tokico on warrantee as I fealt my use was abnormal outside their street design. Ground Control had helped with my setup years ago prior to MML and wasn't yet very aware of Illumina limits at that time. That's why the Koni's are listed on my website for the racers as with a properly reinforced car and typically slicks, their suspension setups are VERY different from a street type setup. Springs rates are a lot higher and they require a strut that can provide the responses required, Koni's are basically an affordable entry into struts of this nature. You may be fine with 275's but it is approaching a limit. Local racer uses 400 lb/in with a fully reinforced car and slicks with Illumina's but he's pretty much autox only so doesn't generate much heat or much of any use duration, I believe this allows him to get away with the Illumina's in such a stiff setup.

so 275's might be better then with me moving up the 250's to the front.

reason for this is i really want to make this a track car later down the road. you think the 250's will be just perfect for the street? i havent driven it yet so thats why i ask.

i will be adding a roll bar and etc to stiffen the car up even more...

mike