HybridZ

Lightweight Billet Steel Flywheel from ArizonaZCar?

Jersey

I'm using the 225mm from AZC. I've had it at 3 different machinists over the years. They all said the same thing within ***5 SECONDS*** of holding it in their hands: "So....you've got a scatter shield, right???" EVERY ONE. Kinda scared me. So I made a scattershield. I still want to get a kevlar blanket for the bellhousing, but I haven't done it yet.

Needless to say its been to many autox's and probably 10 track days with no problems. It is THIN and scary though.

I think mine weighs in at about 12# for what its worth. If I had it to do again, I'd go with a Fidanza...

Jon

Jon, thanks for the info and, i think you just scared me enough to go the other direction i was exploring - Fidanza :D The sorry part about this all is that it's not for my Z, it's for my cousins '78! I'm getting ready to do his turbo swap and when it's all said and done, his Z should spank my '73. He's going T3/T4(50trim E wheel in a machined B housing, oil/water center, bulletnosed, Stage III clipped in a .63), 370cc inj, MSD pump, NPR IC, 3" exhaust, 45* DP, T5, 3.54, LW flywheel, new top end (P90A), poly bushings all around.... and a few more things i can't think of. Damn.... i need to de-tune his while i'm building it!!! Anyone have like a 20mm TB around??? :twisted: Only thing i have on him is weight. We just pulled the motor out of his '83ZXT donor last week to send the P90A out to get done but while we were getting it running perfect before the swap, we put the T3/T4 in it and MAN is that thing EFFICIENT!!! We can run 16psi with no IC and pump 93 gas without pinging! Oh man... i need to get his swap done and get my '73 back in the garage! :x:wink: Thanks again Jon for the info and quick responce.

we put the T3/T4 in it and MAN is that thing EFFICIENT!!! We can run 16psi with no IC and pump 93 gas without pinging!

:shock: Wow - I knew the 50 trim was efficient in all the right spots, but 16 psi, NO IC?! That's my dream street turbo, I can't wait to hear how it does once you get it all built. :hail: Jersey :wink:

Well, not getting ping at 16 psi, no IC huh? Does it make power? or is it just not moving enough air? :D Mine pings with 15psi spike and 300cc injectors :oops: I am moving some serious air though.

Anyway, newer wheels are just so much more effiecient due to lighter and less blades on the wheel.

O, I got a Fidanza and I like mine. The thickness is about same as stock one but it weights only half of the stock one. Plus, it's got a replaceable center contact section.

It makes a bunch of power Yo but i think we're not seeing the true potenetial out of it due to dragging the extra load of the ZX around. It should really shine once installed in the '78 with a 45*DP and full 3" exhaust. We were running it like that in the '83 with the stock DP and stock ZXT exhaust. Forgot that we installed the 370cc injectors as well. It blew me away when i found we could run that level of boost without an IC also. She does start to ping at 17psi while dragging 4th gear out. I wish i had the extra $7-800 for the hybrid. My wimpy T3 isn't going to last mich longer trying to hang with him! lol. It seems REAL efficient Sleeper. Once we get his Z done, we're both going to get our asses to a dyno to see where we're both at. That should really show how his T is performing, on paper. I think if he goes with the LW fly, he should go Fidanza like you Yo. Sounds like the best route. I found a few middle size NPR IC's which i think would be a better investment for him at this stage so we'll see. Guess he figures since the motor's out on the stand now, why not do the flywheel instead of ripping the trans out later. Ahhhh... it mist be nice to have extra cash!!! :lol: I need my Z to be faster!!!

I can't wait to see some great results Jersey. I want to see what the 50 trim can do. 8)

Lighet weight flywheel is tricky to launch. I have to preload the clutch and hold the ebrake. (poorman's lineloc :D ) As long as I can launch the carunder boost above 3000rpm, I can cu 2.1 60ft on decent track

Sounds like the 50 trim is a good match for the L motor. Maybe you could get him to let you borrow it for a few runs, Im also interested in that trim turbo, Id like to see what it runs like on your car since we run the same intercooler setup and yikes----the same bends and diameters, guys car must haul @ss. Ive heard great things about the Fidanza unit. Man those things are expensive. I just need Posi...

Hope they turn out to be great results Yo. Time will tell i guess. Funny thing is, this is the cousin that got my involved with Z's at the age of 15. He had a '77 with a bunch of mods including the LW flywheel. When i turned about 18-19, he decided to sell it and i bought it from him - my first Z and she screeeeamed back in '88! So, he does know how the feel is for the LW flywheel and enjoys the quicker revs, even if you have to "manipulate" the throttle/clutch a bit and knowing full well that it doesn't increase HP. Here's a pic of his/my old '77 from 1988... damn miss that Z! Also, I cannot for the life of me find these enkei rims that i had. Even Enkei has no idea where to find them! owell....

52261-MyFirstZ-1988-med.jpg

52262-My-FirstZ-1988-med.jpg

It does seem to be a nice match for the L6 327. I just wish i had another hybrid to compare it against once i get the swap done on his '78. When i get done with it, i'm sure it's gonna move out. We'll see. I actually hope it's verrrryyy slooowww :roll::wink: The next performance upgrade i do will be slicks or DR's for the track. I can't keep the darn wheels on the ground as it is... with the little T3! I think i'm going to try and steer him toward spending the $ on tires rather than a flywheel because i'm sure traction is going to be a real problem for him. He had a very hard time not spinning in the heavier '83 with just the T4/T3 and injectors. Lighter '78 and more mods are going to be added... he'll never hook.