HybridZ

Windshield gasket--opinions

DavyZ

OK, my friend called up and said my car is 'finished' at the bodyshop: the moonroof is now gone, the drip rails are shaved, and the side vents are shaved as well. The bad thing is that they had to remove the windshield in the process and I need to buy a new gasket, so....

1) Do I go with a cheaper, generic version since the car will be needing it removed again for paint possibly in a year or so?

2) Do I pony up and spend the money for a Nissan gasket so I can rest assured of no leaks and perfect fit, but will have to cut it up like I mentioned above?

I'm not thinking straight this morning and I need some advice :D

Davy

I've used both, and the only reason for that was because the aftermarket one (first one) worked OK, but made the windshield removal a PITA, so when I did remove it one year later, I bought the NISSAN one, and have been very happy since (it was softer and more pliable), especially since it has made the removal of the windsheild (going on a dozen times over the last 4 years using the same gasket) very easy.

Thanks for the reply, Terry. I did not know they were actually reusable! Wow. I thought they had to be cut out everytime the windshield was removed. If I may ask, just how does one go about removing the glass and gasket successfully without cutting?? :?:

Davy

I just installed my WS with a precision gasket. Seemed very easy. Obviously I don't have the same experience as Terry as I have not had to take it out. As long as the rubber is still soft, you can reuse the gasket as many times as you want.

Tim

...As long as the rubber is still soft' date=' you can reuse the gasket as many times as you want...

Tim[/quote']

Super cool, but exactly how does one take out the windshield with the gasket intact and not crack the glass?

The reason for my question is that Auxilary and I removed a windshield in a 240Z last summer, and I have to tell you it was a PITA. We ended up cutting the gasket to ribbons and pushing the glass out. I have a hard to imagining doing this successfully without. Do you use a heat gun and get the silicone super tacky? I have imaged of cracked glass over the front of my car... :?

Davy

I've never used a sealant with a grommet type of gasket. I know the new windshields are glued in, but not the old ones. If indeed a sealant is needed, then I've been lucky because I haven't had any leaks. I seem to remember being told by a bodyman (a long time ago) that the old style grommet type gaskets did not use sealant, and this is why I never did. Is this incorrect?

I've never used a sealant with a grommet type of gasket...Is this incorrect?

I'm sure you are correct, Terry. However, this particular windshield had black RTV (or similar) sealer and I suspect a good number of other ones do as well. Now that the windshield is out of my car, I have to make a choice. If an OEM gasket works with no sealer and it can be removed at least twice, I am in fat city and happy :D I guess I'll find out!!

Thanks for the info guys.

Davy

Davy,

When the gasket gets old and hard, you HAVE to cut it out. I tried to pull my windshield out a couple of years ago with the original gasket in place.

Well, lets just say that I now have a brand new gasket and brand new windshield. :roll:

Tim

Seems to be the same as taking the windshield out of full size chevs (trucks,vans, suberbans) from the 70's to late 80's. You just start at one top corner, and start pushing lightly working from one side to the otherand back until it pops out. It helps if it's the middle of the summer and hot outside though!

Has anyone (except me) considered putting the glass in with the newer style process? I really like the smooth clean look of the new cars that only have small rubber trim around the glass.

It might take a litle fab work inside to make trim to cover where the old gasket holds the vynle down.

I think it would really clean up the look of the windshield, as well as the rear hatch glass.

Maybe somone here with a little glass installation experience can chime in. I`m thinking of making a test fit before the car gets painted just to see if it`s practical or not

Actually Denny it should be pretty easy to install in a modern fashion. It would be a bear to get out though.

All you would need to do is snap a pinch weld trim (like the stuff that holds your door weatherstripping on) over the pinch weld in the windshild opening and set the windshield in with a buetal (sp?) adhesive. Then push the exterior trim piece into the gap between the glass and the body. Do it before the buetal (sp? again) dries and it will help to hold the trim in. There are dozens of sizes of "T" trim available from very narrow, about 3/16" up to over an inch wide. You would need to dry fit the glass to determine how wide you would need it. The trim has a "T" shape in profile with the top being rounded and the vertical section having barbs that hold it in. The top corners would have to be mitered carefully to fit right.

Dang it Denny, you're giving me ideas. :idea:

Seems to be the same as taking the windshield out of full size chevs (trucks,vans, suberbans) from the 70's to late 80's. You just start at one top corner, and start pushing lightly working from one side to the otherand back until it pops out. It helps if it's the middle of the summer and hot outside though!

OK, this is starting to make good sense. I think I will purchase a Nissan gasket to use so I can pull the windshield out later on. It is the middle of winter so heat is not really an option except the car is inside a shop, which is warmer then the outside obviously, but not 'hot'. I'll just make sure I do any window removal in the summertime.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Dan, I'd love something like that, but I don't have the time to experiment with it.

Davy

Dan,

I`ve been tossing this idea around for a few years. I just haven`t had much(ie, none) experience with winshield replacement.

My concern was that the windshield might be too small for the molding. I wasn`t aware that the molding is available in multiple sizes.

This makes the decision MUCH MUCH easier. :2thumbs:

Oh, something I forgot to mention.. you have to pull the 'pinch strip' out first (rubber strip in the middle if the gasket, running all the way around) and then the gasket will have enough give to move/flex to push the sindow out.

Good--I needed to know that bit of info :)

Davy

There is a trick way to instal a windscreen glass and rubber. Sealant is optional, the right stuff does not harden over time but using it can be messy.

Anyway the trick is to use a piece of nylon cord long enough to wrap right around the rubber (mounted on the windscreen) inside the groove, with some left over because you need to be able to grip both ends and pull. The cord should be about the size used for house blinds.

Really a series of pictures are needed to show how it is done. But basically the windscreen is placed in position and the rubber pressed against the metal lip. The cord is then pulled at right angles to the rubber so that it flips the edge of the rubber out and over the metal lip.

Best to first practice this with the rubber on the windscreen but out of the car. Easy peasy, once you work the trick out. :)