HybridZ

Are you ready for the LS2 Hybrid?

Guest dpiatkin

well I must have been looking at a high perf. version because it was definately 480 hp and 460 ft lbs........

I remember that the torque curve was almost FLAT, and was very impressed.

It was a ls6 crate engine which included intake and all the trimmings for around 6000.00....

Was dreaming of this one for quite a while.

Guest lysdexic

The 2005 Z06 vette will have the new 480hp version of the LS2, that is probably what you guys are thinking of. The current LS6 is 405hp i'm pretty sure.

The LS2 is a 6.0 liter engine, and the heads are a refined design of the current LS6 heads, and there are some other changes, but I'm pretty sure all of the mountings are the same :twisted:

From Pace "GM Part number 12578104 - 2004 LS6 (Z06) complete production engine LS6 option only. TECH SPECS: +Horsepower: 405 @ 6000 +Torque: 400 @ 4800 +Max." http://www.paceparts.com/product.asp?0=239&1=241&3=56136

BTW, it's only $7,595.00 for the complete engine (W/O PCM)!

From Autoweek http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=coverstory&loc_code=&content_code=03176519 "2005 CORVETTE POWERTRAIN: 6.0-liter, 400-hp, 400-lb-ft V8; rwd, six-speed manual." So, you go up to 6.0 litres with the same torque but drop 5 HP.

• 1 year later...
Guest et2473

hey guys im new to this forums, its my first post. i have a 05 GTO ls2 and 6m on hand to put into my 90 z32. can anybody point me in the right direction. i dont know were to start. would it be the same setup as the ls1?

• Administrators
The engine in the C6 Z06 is the LS7 with 500+ HP. I'd bet that the crate engine will be well over $15K. Can you say 427 cubic inches. The big block is back.

Kinda, it's still in a small block package though.

Or just go here to order when it becomes available :twisted:

http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/product1.aspx?SID=2&Product_ID=1412&Category_ID=2&src=gglls7

I probably won't be the first... but I think I'll be ready to start thinking about a powerplant for my project in about 2 years. At present I've been tossing around the idea of a turbocharged LS2 or possibly LS7 (dry sump will allow me to mount the engine lower) if I can afford it. But, we'll see if anything better comes along between now and then. :twisted:

Gonna need some power to get this car competitive in Open Road Racing!

Bootlefoof, Don't overestimate the power of a LS1/2/6 and its ability to get you to where you want to be in open road racing. There are cars doing the SSC and topping 180MPH with less than 400HP at the wheels. The chop on the roof, a nice rear wing, coil overs for rake/ ride height adjustment, aerodynamics at the front with a splitter and maybe some winglets, and you'd be in good shape. My previous 383 stroker was making around 400chp and I was able to do runs in the 155-160mph range with ease in sixth gear at 3900rpms! :shock: I'm also just finished up funding the build of a 500HP LS1 that would likely be more than enough to take a lightened Z into the 180-200mph range. That build up didn't run me $5000 and that was starting with a new block, crank, heads, forged pistons and rods... AND using ARP stuff to hold it together! Twin turbos or S/C isn't required in my opinion and will add cost, complexity and weight. :shock:

However, I'm FULL ON BOARD with the LS platform as the ONLY VIABLE chevy swap option at this point. :cool:

Mike :-)

Mike,

I hear you on not needing as much power as I'm planning. I just love turbochargers! : )

And, I like to do things a little different than the norm... just for fun.

I've been thinking of a few different possibilities for engines, some based on the newer gen III platform and some based on the old gen I platform. I've also been considering more exotic powerplants... but probably won't go with something that replacement parts aren't easily available for.

I like the weight savings of the aluminum blocks on the gen III small blocks... but of course aftermarket aluminum blocks are available in all shapes and sizes.

In the end... we'll see what the funds allow. Thinking about an engine is still a way down the road for me... have to finish the body and then build the custom chassis and suspension first.

et2473,

Contact Jags That Run in California and Johns Cars, http://www.brokenkitty.com, in Dallas. They both make LS1/2/6 install kits that will get you started.

Everything I've read indicates that these engines should be interchangeable if a car is set up for one of them. With the GTO & C6 both running the engine - and I think the SSR Pickup too - the LS2 blockis going to froliferate more 7 more. Since its a 6.0 vs essentially a 5.6 - and "their's no replacement for displacement" - we're looking at the future LS conversion resources.