HybridZ

Best front brake setup

last winter i took up the task of updating my underpinnings. this included completely removing my suspension/brakes. i used mike kelly's front setup to allow camber/caster/toe adjustments and found a used pair of arizona zcar rear chromoly control arms. i then did some research to determine what "kit" to use for the brakes. wound up using ross corrigans setup-biggest reason, it was a complete setup. i also picked up the cv halfshaft adaptors, new bearings all around packed with synthetic grease and to further complicate matters, upgraded my single master cylinder with separate tilton masters with a brake bias adjustor. after getting all the pieces back together, doing a rough "string" in the garage alignment i had it professionally aligned [thanks john coffey for your guidance in the specs!]. i was suprised how much of a difference the suspension changes made. the turn in response is amazing, light effort-considering my rather large 215.45.17 tires and the handling is great. the best part however, was at my first drivers school this past summer once i had put some miles on the setup. i was running in the open group at toronto motorsports park and was chasing this 600hp ac cobra replica. he'd walk me like a cheap cigar on the straights and i'd reel him in on the rest of the track. finally i got by him-by out braking his car. eventually he cooked his brakes and put it in the weeds. funny, my brakes never even had a hint of fade. once the event was over i packed my car up [his went back on the trailer] and drove 3 hours home. it was a thing of beauty. there were others i lapped as well, but the cobra felt the best.

here's a link to pics of my setup.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=1750&cat=500

First to answer the original post. From reading too many HybridZ posts, the short list of "best" brake kits is subjective but would have to include Ross's brakes, Arizona Z car's kit, and probably JSK's Inovations willwood setup. JSK's is a recent addition, but they look like quality parts. There are those who feel the Arizona Z car set up might be the best overall, but the price is high. The big advantage of the 4x4 set up is cost and availability of parts, BUT many complain they are too heavy and possibly not much of an upgrade. So I would imagine any of the above kits would be a big step up from the 4x4 calipers.

Try these links (courtesy of Tim 240Z)

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/default.php

http://www.jskinnovations.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/auto.html

Second comment for 1 tuff Z. First I am jealous of your set up. You have me trying to figure out how I can do the same and still stay married. Maybe offer her furniture. I am particularly interested in your dual master cylinder mod. How well did that work out, especially the lack of a brake booster? You obviously drive it on the street. How easy is it to live with day to day? Much change in pedal effort?

You are the first guy I have seen with such a set up. I have an early Z (1970) which won't support a larger diameter brake booster. Rebuilt boosters aren't exactly cheap anymore. Any way could you post details on how you made the mod (part numbers, templates, etc.?) Thanks.

i picked up a modded pedal box along with the arizona z rear arms. the pedal box was modded to accept a tilton balance bar with a cable adj bias [http://www.tiltonracing.com/brake/accessories.html]. you need to calculate the pedal ratio for that of a non-boosted system. i'm still fine tuning that part for optimum pedal feel. there's the backing plate which mounts on the engine side of the firewall-powdercoated 1/4" steel cut to conform with the factory "lines" on the firewall. holes bored in the backing plate for the masters and mounting holes, along with corresponding holes in the firewall itself. the pedal box was modified to accommodate the balance bar and reinforced once material was removed. the clutch assy is unchanged. the brake pedal itself was modded to accept a sleeve for the balance bar. pedal effort was about that of a boosted car with no vacuum initially when the pedal ratio was about 4:1, now at 5.46:1 it's close to what i'm looking for. pedal effort higher than normal on the street but very acceptable on the track. tilton individual master cylinders-front is 5/8, rear 3/4. after the next pedal adjustment i may also swap the rear for next size smaller. going to call the tilton engineer again today for some help-they've been great![http://www.tiltonracing.com/brake/995/index.htm]

you may be better off by looking at a tilton pedal set-may save some time. otherwise you'll be pulling the pedal box in and out several times [yes, it's a real pain without removing the dash-but possible]

oh, keeping the wife happy. selling z parts on ebay to finance the project, doing the work while she watches rented "chick flicks", rationalizing that at least you're home and not out with your hoodlem friends drinking or...

well, it's worked so far. maybe since i had the z before we got married she's just used to it. or, i'm just really fortunate to be married to a terriffic woman who accepts my z oddities!

when i graduated from college i worked the summer as a formula car mech/crew-chief and learned a great deal about vehicle dynamics and when this opportunity came about to purchase the modded pedal box/dual master setup w/balance bar [that i was told came out of a gt2 240] along with the used rear arizona z control arms, i thought-we used this same basic setup in the formula continentals, why not in my z. and so it began.

Guest DISCUS

I went with the Extreme Pckge from Modern Motorsports, because of the quality, weight consideration, overall price value and the reputation of the vendor. The install was very easy once I got the hang of putting pads in the calipersI was looking for better performance in Autocross because my car is fairly quick with the LT1 and overall weight of 2500 lbs. I am very pleased with the setup on the track. The most important moment came when my wife and I were returning from a regional Show & Shine in a rural area! Travelling along at about 75 mph a truck turned accross our path and entered the highway without looking. Obviously did not see us coming!

I nailed the brakes as hard as I have ever hit a pedal in panic, Car stopped like on a dime and we avoided a sure collision if we were relying on the factory braking! Extra black lines on the pavement. Only drawback was the stiffness ( whiplash) from the sudden stop we both felt for a day or two. At that point my wife indicated that whatever the brakes cost they were worth it! That was worth it as well because it makes it easier upgrading! :D

I have not upgraded the master cylinder but did install the proportioning valve and balanced carefully before hittin the track the first time!

Can,t speak for the other systems.

My dad always said that I should never skimp on tires or brakes! Yup I think he knew what he was talking about! The Toyo,s performed beautifully as well!

I too went with Ross C's Extreme 13" package. One word. WOW. After the recommended warmup and a few street miles I couldn't wait to take the Z out for a test drive (not to mention I put his coilovers w/illuminas and swaybars in at the same time). The car was a beast, it beat the hell out of a poor condition winding road, no easy feat! I went to an open road and hit the brakes at 75mph a few times, just to get a feel. On the last run I slammed on it as hard as I dared. Silly me, I forgot I had a tool bag in the back hatch...it flew into my dash, breaking one knob and spewing tools everywhere...

Oh yeah, and that was with drum brakes in the back (that are WAYYY old!). I also got his rear disc conversion but I was unable to install since I hadn't found a pair of 240sx calipers (still looking -- Arkansas isn't a source for used import parts!).

Needless to say, those monsters up front are the way to go! I was very hesitant at first, big brakes cost big bucks, but they are worth every penny! Not to mention they are beautiful! You can see for yourself what they look like installed in my personal picture gallery here on HybridZ.

Thanks Ross!

:cheers:

It's nice to have some options when doing this upgrade and some quality vendors to work with. I went with the JSK hats & hardare, Wilwood NDL calipers & street pads, Wilwood 32 vane curved 1.25 rotors, Wilwood proportioning valve, got my custom SS caliper lines & hard lines for the proportion valve and fittings from Orme Brothers. Also installed the 81 ZX master cylinder. One of the main reasons I went with this setup is that I could purchase the parts as my wallet permitted. If I had the cash on hand I would have purchased a complete kit with everything in one box, this would take all the guess work out sourcing the parts.

• 1 year later...
Guest Benito

After you guys upgraded to Big Brake kits, did you need to rebuild/replace your brake master cyl, or was the stock system good enough?

After you guys upgraded to Big Brake kits, did you need to rebuild/replace your brake master cyl, or was the stock system good enough?

You'll need to run a 280ZX master(larger bore) so most people get rebuilt ones. I run the AZC 5 lug kit. Better wheel options.